GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newb. Plz look at this GS for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 06:23 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb. Plz look at this GS for me.

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up for this forum. I just totaled my car last week and I'm looking to pick up a GS 400/430. I've found a really nice one for 23K. It's a 2000 with 30K miles on it. It seems like a nice car, but it's about a 3 hour drive from me, so I wanted to see if any of you have any input on it. What has me kinda nervous it that it's selling for blue book and it has some nice mods done to it (wheels, aero, maybe a drop and exhaust?) However, I know mods don't add much to value, so maybe that's why? Who knows, maybe I'm apprehensive for no reason.

Anyway, here's the text from the ad and the pics:

"This 2000 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan features a 4.0L V8 MPI DOHC 24V 8 cyl Gasoline engine. It is equipped with a automatic transmission. The vehicle is Black with a Black Leather interior. It is covered by a limited warranty. One owner, Non-Smoker, Dealer inspection, All scheduled maintenance, Dealer maintained, Have service records, Have original manuals, Have all keys, This Lexus is in Excellent overall exterior condition, Excellent overall interior condition, Leather seats - Air Conditioning, Dual Zone Climate Control, Cruise Control, Tinted Windows, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Leather Steering Wheel, Leather Shifter, Power Drivers Seat, Power Passenger Seat, Memory Seat Position, Heated Seat, Rear Air Conditioning, Wood Trim, Digital Info Center, Homelink System, Tilt Steering Wheel, Telescoping Steering Wheel, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Sunroof, Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbags, Keyless Entry, Security System, ABS Brakes, Traction Control, Dynamic Stability, Rear Defogger, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, AM-FM, Cassette, Wheels, Leather Interior"

Also, this car will be my daily driver. So, I have some questions:

1) With snow tires, how are these cars in the winter? I'm a consultant and I have to drive for work, so I need something that can get me through all the snow in Pittsburgh.

2) Reliability is a big issue for me at this point. I know that Lex/Toyota makes great cars, but how does the GS4 fit in to this broad catergorization?

3) It doesn't say anything about a CD player and I can't see a slot in the dash. Do they come with a changer in the trunk as a standard item? (I NEED a CD player and upgrading one with the NAV system seems like it may be a nightmare)

I need make some quick moves in getting this car, so I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give. If this car is no good, I'll probably get a new Legacy GT or used 5.5 gen Maxima, and I really don't want to have to do that. (Max is kinda boring and the LGT will get modded, and I need to stay away from modding until i can get a 2nd car.)

P.S. Those rims will be gone if I get it, I have better taste than that
Old 04-21-07, 06:33 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Also, any specific questions that I need to ask the dealer or issues I need to watch out for?

And what should I end up paying for this car?
Old 04-21-07, 06:36 PM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Looks great. Tastefully modded. The car comes with a 6-disk CD changer. I'd say go for it. The mileage is definitely right. Just make sure the title is clean.
Old 04-21-07, 06:48 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Thanks man. Any more input from anyone else would be greatly appreciated. I still need answers to the other ?'s.

And just for the hell of it, here's my old car in it's glory days:

Here it is on the dreaded day;

Old 04-21-07, 06:59 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Do HID's come standard on 2K's? If not, how much $$$ am I looking at for a nice kit that would allow me to retain my high beams?

(I'm gonna keep adding ?'s as I think of them.)

Last edited by Insedanity; 04-21-07 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 07:08 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Sorry for your misfortune! But the one you're looking is almost a new car. My wife bought an ES 300 2003 one and half year before with 24k miles and still smell new. I bought a GS 2000 black on black in January this year for $12k but have 125k miles
Because you had one before, run it to see how it run. Inspect every part to see any possible damage. I doubt it but be careful any way
Old 04-21-07, 07:15 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From looking at the pic, it's not black with black interior. The mileage is really low for a 00'. The L-Sportline body kit looks like in good shape. If there's no other mechenical problems with this vehicle, it's a good buy with that price.
Old 04-21-07, 07:18 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JacobT
From looking at the pic, it's not black with black interior. The mileage is really low for a 00'. The L-Sportline body kit looks like in good shape. If there's no other mechenical problems with this vehicle, it's a good buy with that price.
Thanks man. And yeah, I have no idea why they say it's a black interior
Old 04-21-07, 07:27 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most GS came with yellow fog lights if it's equipped with HID. From the pic, it's with white fogs, so very likely the previous owner switched out the fogs because most GS if they came with navigation system , they should came with HID too. Double check that by turning on the headlight, if you see the auto-level adjusting when switching on, it's HID.
Old 04-21-07, 07:44 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking GS. If you like the mods and understand that since it is a modded car it was most likely driven harder then a non modded one then I would pick it up.
Old 04-21-07, 07:48 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a pretty clean car. But you should definitely talk with the dealer about the price. I picked up my 00 gs4 with 43000 in dec 05 for 18g's. So talk to him about dropping the price. Do a carfax on the car to check if the mileage is indeed correct. Otherwise nice tastefull mods on the car. If you want to drive this car in the winter go right ahead I drove it thru NYC this winter no problem. I would recommend snow tires though for best results with this car in the winter. Good luck and I hope that you will join the lex family soon.
Old 04-21-07, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Maybe you can go in the NELOC forum and get someone closer to check the car out for you?

Looks good. Make sure maintenance was done (at least the oil changes)

HIDs standard on GS 400 in 2k2.
Old 04-21-07, 08:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice looking GS.. Hope you can land this car.. GL..
Old 04-21-07, 08:11 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car looks suspect to me. Jest a quick glance at the interior, it looks like it has way more that 30k miles on the carpets and door panels. Description also states it has steering wheel radio controls which is does not, but does have paddle shift? I thought only the 300's had paddle shift? Someone correct me if I am wrong...
Old 04-21-07, 08:19 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

gs400's all come with paddle shifts. gs300 only come with paddle shift after or 01.

Quick Reply: Newb. Plz look at this GS for me.