GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wood Wheel with E-Shift........Installed!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-01, 06:02 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood Wheel with E-Shift........Installed!!!!!!!!!!

After a lot of research, I chose American-Stitches.com to modify my wheel. I sent it out 2 weeks ago, and I finally got it back last night. (I had a spare GS wheel lying around that I used in the meantime). Also, I sent them my shifter for the wood color match.
The company takes your old wheel, strips all the leather off, applies the wood in the same 3 areas as the OEM wheel that is on the new GS430, and wraps new leather on it. They are located in Texas, I am in Connecticut, so my only option was to ship it.

Let me rate this for you guys......1-10

Quality of wood--9

Color matching of wood---7<---Turns out the wood on my shifter is a shade lighter than the wood trim on the rest of the car. Because I sent them my shifter for the color match, they did not know how much darker the rest of my interior was. Overall, this is something that other people don't really see, but being a "Lexus owner" and all, it bothers me a little. Gotta say though, as long as the sun is not shining on the interior, you can't really tell.

Color matching of leather-10

Design match of wood---7 <------( They did warn me that the wood on the wheel is not burlwood, so it will not have the swirl design like the rest of the wood on the interior). It is not very noticable and it still looks like it matches the interior perfectly, unless you do a side by side starring comparison.

Leather fit around the E-shift----9 <---I was expecting a problem here, but they did a nice job

Stitching--9 Perfect, except for one little spot, not noticable, unless you take your time and inspect the stitches.

Fitment where the wood meets the leather: 7<----Perfect, unless you stare at it, then, you will notice a little bit of white residue in between that resembles wax residue, but it does not come off.

Leather look and feel----8<---The leather they used is not as smooth as Lexus's, and does not match the texture of the leather seats, but its not bad. Its similar to the leather on the Volvo's steering wheel. I think it will get a little smoother as it ages, but on the other hand, I kinda like it because it gives the car that "new car feel." The wheel also has the new car smell!

Wood feel--10+ <--- The back of the wheel is ridged so it does not slip. Feels awesome! Total luxury! Fingerprints don't show either!

Costumer Service--10<--- I dealt with Terry. He is the guy to talk to when it comes to custom orders. He gave me a very nice price, (much better than the website quote) called me when it arrived, called me when it was finished. Also, it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Maybe I was a little **** with my evaluation, but then again, the quality of the car is perfect, so I figure that anything that goes into it should be perfect as well. The wheel passes the test.
It looks stock, as if I bought the car with the option. I hated the leather wheel that was on there before, (too sticky, plain looking).
The car looks MUCH better now. If you guys are considering it, give them a call and setup a group buy. One more thing. Because I just got it, it still has to go through the test of time, but it looks and feels very durable. This is one upgrade I will not regret.
Also, if I was to evaluate an original wood/leather wheel from Lexus, I would give it a slightly better score, but not a perfect one. Unfortunately, the Lexus wheel costs over $2000!!! AND.....
even then, it does not come with E-shift.
Old 12-02-01, 12:29 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Arrow ...

Get us some pics! hurry.. i wanna see!

Nader
Old 12-02-01, 02:54 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Would you mind posting your price and some closeup pics....I wanna start a group by here...anyone interested?
Old 12-02-01, 05:59 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Default pics.....

My friend is going to take some high quality pics on Saturday, December 8th at the Connecticut meet. What you can expect from the pics, even the close ups, is a wheel that looks exactly like the one in the new GS 430, but with E-shift and ofcourse, the airbag cover is different.
As far as price, he told me that it strictly depends on the demand.
I tried to setup a group buy before I bought my wheel, but I guess people were too scared to deal with this company. Either way, I got an awesome deal because I have
the "prototype wheel."
Old 12-02-01, 07:58 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the cost?
Old 12-02-01, 08:05 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

$500
Old 12-02-01, 08:57 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Sound like a good price. If I order mine can I borrow you extra steering wheel?
Old 12-02-01, 10:07 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Sure,
Mark, where in Ct are you from?
Will you be at the meet on December 8th?
Old 12-03-01, 03:42 AM
Mark
Intermediate

I live in Waterbury. I will try to make the meet in December.
Old 12-03-01, 07:35 AM
JacobT

I was trying to do the conversion a couple weeks ago. But without the spare wheel, my car will be down for 2 weeks which is unacceptable. Thta's why it's not happening yet.

BTW, can you post some steps how to remove the wheel? I'm still interested in doing this if I can find some spare wheels to use.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-01, 08:17 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

PM me and I will give you directions on removing the wheel
Old 12-03-01, 08:35 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Congrats!!! There's nothing quite like the "Wood/Leather Wheel w/ E-Shift!" I've had mine on for quite sometime now, (@ a year!) and have been thoroughly pleased, however mine was a custom job from Korea! And I would rate the entire process a 10!
Old 12-03-01, 08:57 AM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Arrow geeez!

Get us some pics for God's sake!

Midnite
Old 12-03-01, 09:24 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Congrats!!! There's nothing quite like the "Wood/Leather Wheel w/ E-Shift!" I've had mine on for quite sometime now, (@ a year!) and have been thoroughly pleased, however mine was a custom job from Korea! And I would rate the entire process a 10!
How much was the korea wheel.
Old 12-03-01, 05:29 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

GS4to4,

Thanks for the detail. You ought to forward your ratings back to stitches.com so they know how they are doing...don't guinnea pigs usually reveal the good and the bad. It might be a plus for the rest of us who are interested.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Wood Wheel with E-Shift........Installed!!!!!!!!!!