GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lower Ball Joint Issue for 01+

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 01:48 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Lower Ball Joint Issue for 01+

So all of us have heard about the infamous lower ball joint failure on 98-00 gs, which will cause the entire car to hit the ground. Well I have a 01, and i changed my right side some weeks ago, but i never got to the left side.

Just an hour ago, i took a hard right. After pulling into the parking lot, i can hear grinding sound whenever i turn my steering wheel, or take slightly harsh right turns. I turned my wheels to the right and reached my hand in, and sure enough, the entire boot on the left lower ball joint was obliterated.

To those that have lower ball joints failed on them: what were the symptoms? Did the car hit the ground right when the boot failed? Or did it take some time for the car to actually hit the ground.

P.S. There is a rumor that toyota redesigned the 01+ suspension so that the car does not hit the ground upon lower ball joint failure, can someone confirm this?

Last edited by ElitistK; 04-25-07 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:08 AM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrote this before but the best way to check the BJ is by jacking up the side and left the tire about 2-3 inches from the ground. Get a 2 feet steel pole between the tire & the ground and move it up & down trying to force it upward. If you feel a "free play" then the BJ is bad. If is really bad you can hear a "clunk" noise.
Look under the lower arm and watch it while doing it. You will see the entire wheel moving a little while the arm stay.
Think that Carson's have the better prices on BJ (around $130 both)
BTW, what type of wheels-tires your car have? (17" stock or oversize)

Take the chance and move the wheel right & left by hand to check the steering rod. It shouldn't be a free play either in the side to side check. Visually inspect all around (leaks, grease, etc) and the brake pads.

Last edited by Hectorm; 04-27-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:28 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hectorm
I wrote this before but the best way to check the BJ is by raising the side, and left about 2-3 in from the ground. Get a 2 feet steel pole between the tire & the ground and move it up & down trying to force it upward. If you feel a "free play" then the BJ is bad. If is really bad you can hear a "clunk" noise.
Look under the lower arm and watch it while doing it. You will see the entire wheel moving a little while the arm stay.
Think that Carson's have the better prices on BJ (around $130 both)
BTW, what type of wheels-tires your car have? (17" stock or oversize)

Take the chance and move the wheel right & left by hand to check the steering rod. No free play either in the side to side check. Visually inspect all around and the brake pads.
Hey,

I am on stock 16s.

I haven't checked the free-play yet, but I KNOW that my left LBJ is done. I can hear clunking noise everytime i make a right turn now, and it's getting pretty bad. I also have a new left LBJ in my trunk, waiting for me to install it. What exactly does the free-play test check? You mentioned that forcing the wheel up without moving the bj = bad bj, but I don't see how that is possible unless the entire bj cracks in half.

The question is, did Toyota really re-design the 01+ suspension so that the car does not hit the ground upon LBJ failure? Does anyone know?

Last edited by ElitistK; 04-25-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 10:01 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the suspension is the same across all 2nd gen GS'. A redesign wouldn't help if the joint does separate, your still going hit the ground. I would get that joint replaced immediately or quit driving the car until you do. Its not a hard job to do, it can be done in about 30 minutes.
Old 04-25-07, 10:28 AM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElitistK
Hey,

I am on stock 16s.

I haven't checked the free-play yet, but I KNOW that my left LBJ is done. I can hear clunking noise everytime i make a right turn now, and it's getting pretty bad. I also have a new left LBJ in my trunk, waiting for me to install it. What exactly does the free-play test check? You mentioned that forcing the wheel up without moving the bj = bad bj, but I don't see how that is possible unless the entire bj cracks in half.

The question is, did Toyota really re-design the 01+ suspension so that the car does not hit the ground upon LBJ failure? Does anyone know?
Preventive maintenance could do the trick. This happen to Ford's Chevrolets and other heavy cars.

(Ball-Joint= a steel ball like into a rounded bed cover with grease) With time grease is displaced and salt & dirt come in causing this becomes "dry". The metals start rubbing one against other & worn-out causing the noise. Time enough it could be separate and because this pieces together with upper BJ is holding the front car weight...just figure out.!!!

Do the test as I explained to you. You will find the answer to your arguments.
Bad BJ sound is clearly hear in an uneven road with bumps. But you said is when you turn to right then is not common. Could be the arm's bushings, the under fender lining...to name a few.
I know we like to ourself car repairing but sometimes is better to look for a mechanic shop.
Old 04-26-07, 01:37 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

so it turns out to be my lower control arm that is worn out.

where can i buy lower control arm?

Last edited by ElitistK; 04-26-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 05:23 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

e-bay. Make a search
Old 04-26-07, 06:37 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Lower ball joint failiure = front of car hitting the ground. That is sick. I assume really bad roads wear them out quicker and that's why I try my best to avoid big potholes. That whole hitting the ground thing sounds scary. Does anything else get damaged when it hits the ground?
Old 04-27-07, 12:20 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Lower ball joint failiure = front of car hitting the ground. That is sick. I assume really bad roads wear them out quicker and that's why I try my best to avoid big potholes. That whole hitting the ground thing sounds scary. Does anything else get damaged when it hits the ground?
bumper, headlights, fenders, brakes sys., wheels, tires, etc. etc. repair damage could go up to 5k+!!! change it while u can, and while u have time-it could really make a serious damage if u don't put enough attention to it, it's not like changing fluids or any light maintenace thingy. i changed mine before i installed the air suspension (@76k) i'm afraid i'm going to play too much on the air susps. and break it sooner than i thought, even with 76k (supposedly around 90k) i tried what hectorm adviced-and it made a lot of unnecessary movements so i did the replacement immediately!