GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird. Car ran hot. Not anymore. Ran hot. Not anymore. No coolant leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Weird. Car ran hot. Not anymore. Ran hot. Not anymore. No coolant leaking.

This happened last night. I'm at two-times house and his driveway has an incline. I've parked there many times before and the car was running.

I go inside and we come back out. He says "dude, there is smoke coming from your engine"

I pop the hood and the car is smoking, I turn off the car and you can hear the "phhhsshshh phhshssssh" like liquid hitting something hot.

He then says "dude you car is leaking" and basically car car spilled coolant all over.

The weirdest thing. I went to autozone and put in some coolant. The car ran hotter than normal (half -3/4- redline) and would go up and down to half. I drove slow and fast.

Today, I think the car is fine, I look under and can't find anything odd. The car is not leaking coolant anywhere. I cannot find a leak?

Today the car runs fine then wham, I'm driving around the city and it runs very very hot. I had the coolant on me and go to a friends house and park.

I just drove around again and the needle was fine, no higher than 1/2, the normal temperature.

Any idea??? Again, its not leaking coolant anywhere...
Old 04-30-07, 07:23 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

I think you may need a new thermalstat. It's new opening properly while engine is warming up.
Old 04-30-07, 07:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

There are only couple of reasons to overheat.

1. Low coolant [you have eliminated that] .... Rememeber NOT to add cold colant to a HOT radiator.

2. Chocked air flow over the radiator. [bad fan relay or actual leaves in front of the readiator]

3. Bad thermostat. [my guess is this is the culprit]

Also if your vehicle has steamed already, you have lost some coolant. The cap has a pressure release safety valve.

Salim
Old 04-30-07, 07:25 PM
Ripper
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take this with a grain of salt but it sounds like your thermostat is sticking intermittently.
Old 04-30-07, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Wow, thank you all for the speedy responses! I'll search under thermostat now. Thank you all!!!
Old 04-30-07, 07:31 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

yo, so i have experienced this almost to the word. probably causes already mentioned is bad thermostat. i would also check your radiator cap to see if its leaking/cracked/etc. i would just replace both since they are fairly inexpensive. you might have also noticed a really bad fish food smell. make sure your coolant reservoir is closed (the sound is from the boiling of coolant). remember, #1 killer of engines is heat so take care of this even though the car may be fine now =D.
Old 04-30-07, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by gshb
yo, so i have experienced this almost to the word. probably causes already mentioned is bad thermostat. i would also check your radiator cap to see if its leaking/cracked/etc. i would just replace both since they are fairly inexpensive. you might have also noticed a really bad fish food smell. make sure your coolant reservoir is closed (the sound is from the boiling of coolant). remember, #1 killer of engines is heat so take care of this even though the car may be fine now =D.
Wow, thank you!!! Yes, my car has smelled like fish for a week . I cleaned it, I'm looking all over for old food, could not figure that out

So can I drive the car to the dealership? Is she fine since I added the coolant?

Wow, thank you all so much
Old 04-30-07, 07:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You'll probably be fine as long as the dealer isn't 10000 miles away
Old 04-30-07, 07:43 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With the racing you do, perhaps you should replace the stock thermostat and rad cap with TRD pieces. Good luck.
Old 04-30-07, 07:43 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same issues with other cars that resulted in a bad thermostat...

should be a cheap fix, hopefully...
Old 04-30-07, 08:42 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
With the racing you do, perhaps you should replace the stock thermostat and rad cap with TRD pieces. Good luck.
word lol
Old 04-30-07, 09:05 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ive always pulled my thermostat out....never had any problems before and i race all the time... try it just make sure you use good coolant and not a bunch of water. good luck
Old 05-01-07, 06:11 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like a thermostat, as was mentioned numerous times, or a bubble in the system. But, if you haven't recently replaced any parts directly related to the cooling system, chances are unlikely that you have a bubble. BUT, if you have an air leak in your cooling system, it may allow a bubble to form... unlikely, but possible.

And I agree... if you are going to continue with AutoXing... you might want to upgrade those bits, as well as look into upgrading to a tranny/oil cooler and some other things to avoid heat.
Old 05-01-07, 06:19 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

whoa.. almost the same thing happened to my LS a month ago... I was just taking a leisurely drive and all of a sudden the red caution triangle goes off with a beep and i see that the temp guage was at 3/4 rather than the regular 1/2. the car really smelled like dead fish afterwards... no smoke though. it hasnt happened since.. but now that i think of it.. i should have the therm changed.
Old 05-01-07, 07:54 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Seems like the thermo is sticking...

Quick Reply: Weird. Car ran hot. Not anymore. Ran hot. Not anymore. No coolant leaking.