GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

rubbing tear 20inch dubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:14 PM
Felix gs43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubbing tear 20inch dubs

I have 20 front 245 35 20 front and rear 285 30 20 rear, and L-tuned suspension rear is rubbing. Dont now what to do shave rear fender or get wheel alighment can somebody help thank you?
Old 05-01-07, 06:36 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are your wheels the correct offset? You are already running 10 over the norm by using a 285 instead of a 275. If your offset isn't correct then that will be the root of the rubbing. You can try to shave the rear fenders and it may fix it but you really need to find out how bad it's rubbing. If it's just a little bit you will probably be ok with shaving, if it's alot and it's already destroying your tires then you probably need a smaller tire and/or rims with the correct offset.
Old 05-01-07, 06:51 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Or.......

Originally Posted by macd7919
Are your wheels the correct offset? You are already running 10 over the norm by using a 285 instead of a 275. If your offset isn't correct then that will be the root of the rubbing. You can try to shave the rear fenders and it may fix it but you really need to find out how bad it's rubbing. If it's just a little bit you will probably be ok with shaving, if it's alot and it's already destroying your tires then you probably need a smaller tire and/or rims with the correct offset.

What MacD said, or you can put some negative camber on there like the VIP guys do.

-Joe
Old 05-01-07, 08:45 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

the best thing to do would be just to roll the fender... you shouldnt be rubbing in the first place but with a rub your going to be guaranteed almost no rubbing what so ever.. had a friend in town who did that to their gs430
Old 05-01-07, 09:28 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We need to know the offsets of the wheels in order to determine if the problem can be eliminated with rolling or shaving the fenders.
Old 05-01-07, 10:21 PM
lexus75
Driver School Candidate

yea off set is the key to your rubb problem.i use nitto 555 285/35/20 i heard kumo rubbs so, if yu dont want to send alot of $ roll the fender
Old 05-01-07, 11:55 PM
Felix gs43
Driver School Candidate

when i drive by myself in the car there no rubbing, when i have Me and passager in the car only on bumps rubbing three people in the car, Car dont stop rubbing. I bought this rims from member from clublexus he was running this rims and tires on tc coilovers without problem.
Old 05-02-07, 12:43 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix gs43
when i drive by myself in the car there no rubbing, when i have Me and passager in the car only on bumps rubbing three people in the car, Car dont stop rubbing. I bought this rims from member from clublexus he was running this rims and tires on tc coilovers without problem.
yeah, the person that wanted to make the sale told you they used them without a problem, doesnt mean YOU'RE not going to have a problem with them though... the guys are making a valid point, average sizing for a tire with the wheel being correct offset for the gs, assuming about a 9.5 inch wide 20, is usually a 275 in the back... you really need to produce the guys name you bought the wheels from or the thread where you purchased so someone can look up the offsets if you dont know what that means...otherwise you're never going to get to the bottom of your problem and no one here will be able to help
Old 05-02-07, 12:47 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix gs43

just checked your threads, the sale obviously didnt happen on the site, must be someone you know locally in person...well, call them back up and ask them for the offsets.
Old 05-02-07, 08:41 AM
Felix gs43
Driver School Candidate

I bought from SloGS3 HE located in florida, Am in brooklyn road are different, if anyone in bk now how to roll the fender let me now i need to get the job done today. SloGS3 Also told me that i need to correct my camber?????
Old 05-02-07, 09:16 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some pics might help with this situation. i am lowering my car this week and i am running 285-30-20 in the rear. it rubben when the car was full of passengers and now that i've shaved the rears it rides perfect with a full load.
here's my DIY fender shave link if it helps any. i don't suggest you roll the rear but shave them. the front you can roll cause it is only one layer of metal. rear is two.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278551
Old 05-02-07, 09:29 AM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

I'm assuming these are the wheels you purchased...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266796

If so, then SloGS3 stated that the rear offset is +41...if that's accurate, then you might need to shave or roll the rear fender a little.

Like others have said, if you prefer not modify your fenders, you could run a bit of negative camber or just go to a 275 tire.
Old 05-02-07, 09:50 AM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

One other suggestion...why don't you just PM SloGS3 and ask him what he did to eliminate the rubbing?

He also sold a set of Tein CS coilovers, which probably means that he was riding a bit lower than you. He may have run the rear a bit stiffer to help, but who knows.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-02-07, 01:44 PM
Felix gs43
Driver School Candidate

Yeah does are the rims. He told me all he did moved the camber there was no problems. I went to one shop they told me roll the fender the other said cut the fender and i found shop said move the camber. i need to make choice soon before i mess somthing up.
Old 05-02-07, 03:05 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run more negative camber your tires are going to wear out on the insides more quickly.

If you roll your fenders there is a good chance it is going to slightly "warp" the fender, not very noticeable but it does happen.

Cutting the fender works well BUT do not cut it all the way down, if you do that your quarter panels will be weak and bend easily.

What you need to do is decide how severe the rubbing is. If it was my car I would probably go the cutting or rolling route if that would cure the problem, I would choose camber as my last option because that is just going to wear your tires out quickly.

Quick Reply: rubbing tear 20inch dubs