GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Battery Life.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 08:08 PM
Juan C. Cos

Default Battery Life.

My car is almost 4-yrs old, and the battery seems to be okay, but not like new. The warranty expires Jan 29, and I don't think it will crap out by itself before that date. It has done pretty good for the very infrequent use I've given the car, especially the first 2-1/2 years. I started charging the battery frequently after that, when I noticed it was laboring to fire up the engine; so far so good, but the battery probably suffered irreversible sulfation during that time of "abuse".
Anyway, I'm thinking of replacing it before it gives me trouble. Question is which is the best battery for our $$? Don't tell me the ones at Pepboys or such with ugly GM studs. I was thinking more like the optimas, or any other with the better AGM technology.
Thoughts?

PS. For you folks who required battery replacement before warranty was over, did lexus replace it free of charge, or pro-rated?
Old 12-04-01, 03:00 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Juan, can't answer your first question, tho it's been discussed before (my failing memory.........), but as far as Lexus' policy on replacement, the answer is prorated.
Old 12-04-01, 07:40 AM
JacobT

Get an Ultima red top if you don't run heavy stereo equipments. Otherwise get a deep cycle yellow top. That'll give you five years of worry free starting power.

Get it from Cosco or Sam's. They have the best prices I've even seen.
Old 12-04-01, 08:00 AM
Juan C. Cos

Many thanks for your responses. Since pro-rated, a factory replacement is out of the question.
So the Ultima (or is it Optima?) at Sams, huh? I'll check them out, and since my car is stock (w/Nakamichi option), I suppose the red top would be fine.
Thanks again guys.

JC
Old 12-04-01, 08:15 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generic

within a certain cranking HP range IMHO a lead acid battery is a lead acid battery is a .....

Their "natural" failure rate will all be about the same.

My 92 LS IMO has a had a higher battery failure rate than I have historically experienced but I suspect the much higher electrical device content has had a "play" on that.
Old 12-04-01, 10:14 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Might want to lighten up on PepBoys. They carry the Optima, at least here in Cal. Bought my last one there.
Old 12-05-01, 06:22 PM
Juan C. Cos

Hey Ron, all batteries Pepboys offers here are crap, but this is a crappy town too, so that's understandable.
Anyway, how do you like your Optima? Worth buying?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-01, 04:43 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys i just bought a Yellow top but i think it may be starting to die because it hesitated a bit last night.... whats up?

do you guys think there is an electrical drain in my car somewhere? if so what do you think it woudl be? remember i took my subs out so everything is stock... thanks guys
Old 12-06-01, 08:26 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by LexusRules
guys i just bought a Yellow top but i think it may be starting to die because it hesitated a bit last night.... whats up?

do you guys think there is an electrical drain in my car somewhere? if so what do you think it woudl be? remember i took my subs out so everything is stock... thanks guys
2 possible answers....Your terminals are loose and probably need to be cleaned with a wire brush....Secondly you might not be driving long enough to recharge your battery so take your car out for an hour or let it run for a while, but turn your radio down so your neihboors can sleep, ALEX@!@#%
Old 12-06-01, 09:47 AM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sasha,

I had a hesitation when starting the car on my '98 GS 300 too. This happened in last summer. My car had been in service a little over 3 years with about 31,000 miles.

Took it to the dealer and they found an "open connection" in my alternator.

They needed to instal a new alternator, but the part was backordered for several weeks. I was told there were many units that were on backorder at the time.

I can't say for sure that there has been an unusual problem with this part, but I would get your electrical system checked. BTW I don't have any stereo upgrades (unfortunately).
Old 12-06-01, 02:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Juan,

how are you? it has been a while...

my stock battery failed at ~20kmile mark, and my dealer guy replaced it free of charge. i guess when it comes to warranty issue, it is all in the hands of the advisor...as moore said, some guys i know whose batttery was replaced on a proration(sp?) basis.

Ron, pepboys sells Optimas? never knew that

Jacob, costco/sams sell optima too? i will check the price there too for future reference.
Old 12-06-01, 02:32 PM
JacobT

Sam's and Cosco sell Redtop for $89:eek:
Old 12-06-01, 03:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hi all. Yes, at least in the bay area Pep Boys sells the Optima. Didn't see the yellow top but you just walk right in and pick up the red top. Although it wasn't $89, seems like it is $109 if I remember correctly. Never seen Optimas in the Costco around here and we don't have Sam's Club. The electrode setup in the Optima is definitely different than conventional batteries. Bought one a while back for the company van which can be used heavy or sit for extended periods of time with no use. We have not had any problems with the Optima starting it up after sitting where with a lot of other battery brands it would regularly need recharging until they just wouldn't hold charge. Rather buy it and forget about it and it seems like the Optima is worth the extra bucks. Just put one in my wife's Maxima which for some reason chews up batteries and if the GS needs one, it's what I will get unless something better comes along. Have to assume that all the rest of the cables and charging system is in good shape.
Old 12-06-01, 04:14 PM
nosml
Rookie

Optima Red Top = Under The Hood
Optima Yellow Top = Deep Cycle; In the trunk for all of your accesories.
Optima Blue Top = Marine Applications
Old 12-06-01, 09:01 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

BMW locates their batteries under the rear seat. It seems to be a better location and last longer at least in Florida because it does not get as hot as being under the hood.

Quick Reply: Battery Life.