GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

IPOD With NAV - NO FM Mod. --- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 10:52 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD With NAV - NO FM Mod. --- HELP

Hey everyone! I have a 2000 Gs400 here in Denver with Nav. I want to get my ipod set up but as you know it's either a crapt fm modulator or some aux kit. My question is if anyone has intalled the aux kit themselves and any suggestions you might have. I am pretty savvy to car audio but this nav scares me to death. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-05-07, 06:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Check out the audio video special interest CL forum.

If you drop down to 2, then it is purely audio issue (with differential input L+/L-,r+/r-)

1. Have display and contol on Nav screen.
2. Just force the audio input.

Salim
Old 05-05-07, 10:41 AM
TXGS
Driver

Vaistech. Easy to install. I have Ipod and XM through factory ML.
Old 05-05-07, 04:34 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vaistech will only work on 2001+ according to thier web site
Old 05-05-07, 05:43 PM
denvergs4
Driver

UPDATE: I went down to CarToys, a local car audio shop and purchased the Soundgate SDSTOYO. After carefull removal of the NAV none of the pin conectors match up corectly. After review of soundgates website I have come to the conclusion that it only works for the Nakamichi not the Pioneer nav. I think i just tore apart my lex for nothing. I am awaiting the guy at CarToys to call me back. I will let everyone know.
Old 06-04-07, 02:48 PM
alister
Pole Position

Bump. Any update?
Old 06-04-07, 03:15 PM
denvergs4
Driver

so here is the deal, If you have a nakamichi factory deck the soundgate works fine. If you have the Nav it gets really tricky. I now there are DIY threads but this is for a professional. It took this installer 3 hours to complete. He had to hard wire it into the amp behind the glove box. I was only charged 125 but I negotiated a little bit. So all in all it will cost about 225 for parts and labor to hard wire your Ipod if you have a Nav.

It's worth it the sound is just like CD.
Old 06-04-07, 04:45 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seriously, what is up with the noobs not searching lately?
Old 06-04-07, 06:51 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
seriously, what is up with the noobs not searching lately?
well he's been a member since sept 06 and you feb 07 so i think your the newbie.

as for your question. i have an alpine head unit and I ran a phonejack cable from the trunk where he brain of the system is. i ran it through the rear seats under the console and up to the top of the consol, this way i can just plug it into my MP3 player. Im not too sure what the nav out/inputs are. If it has a AUX audio/visual inputs you can just use that.

-J
Old 06-04-07, 07:26 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by J_RoK
well he's been a member since sept 06 and you feb 07 so i think your the newbie.

as for your question. i have an alpine head unit and I ran a phonejack cable from the trunk where he brain of the system is. i ran it through the rear seats under the console and up to the top of the consol, this way i can just plug it into my MP3 player. Im not too sure what the nav out/inputs are. If it has a AUX audio/visual inputs you can just use that.

-J
my point was not about when people signed up to join CL...there is a HUGE log of threads on CL which can be beneficial to a lot of people. and by starting a new thread when there is an existing topic, the information gets spread out. It would be a lot easier for future reference if it were all in one thread...

but I guess people don't search anymore so what does it matter.

Anywho, VAIS only works for 01+. I started searching for an iPod solution while retaining my OEM headunit and found only two "plug-n-play" type boxes. Soundgate and Dension. Dunno if any 98-01 owners had any success with them but there is one member with a 00 SC that said the Dension worked. I PMed that person but no reply.
Old 06-04-07, 07:45 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
my point was not about when people signed up to join CL...there is a HUGE log of threads on CL which can be beneficial to a lot of people. and by starting a new thread when there is an existing topic, the information gets spread out. It would be a lot easier for future reference if it were all in one thread...

but I guess people don't search anymore so what does it matter.

Anywho, VAIS only works for 01+. I started searching for an iPod solution while retaining my OEM headunit and found only two "plug-n-play" type boxes. Soundgate and Dension. Dunno if any 98-01 owners had any success with them but there is one member with a 00 SC that said the Dension worked. I PMed that person but no reply.
I know what you meant. I was just joking.
Old 06-04-07, 09:04 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by J_RoK
I know what you meant. I was just joking.
someone needs to invent a way to display sarcasm on the internet...
i feel like a jackass now
Old 06-04-07, 10:29 PM
denvergs4
Driver

I might be a newbie but I searched everywhere for the Ipod info. Most of the information was for the nakamichi deck or the DYI which was too complicated to my standards. Anyways figured I would start a thread for the NAV series 98-00. I'm sure there is an old thread but give me a break I'm lazy, lol. I should have some pics of the finished install soon.
Old 06-04-07, 10:51 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by denvergs4
I might be a newbie but I searched everywhere for the Ipod info. Most of the information was for the nakamichi deck or the DYI which was too complicated to my standards. Anyways figured I would start a thread for the NAV series 98-00. I'm sure there is an old thread but give me a break I'm lazy, lol. I should have some pics of the finished install soon.
sorry, i was probably in a bad mood.

but glad to have some confirmation with the Soundgate since I'm looking into buying one of those soon too..just can't justify the 30+ dollars for the iPod dock cable.

anywho, keep us updated!
Old 06-04-07, 10:58 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Aux Input would be the best.

You can also do the CD Changer mod for Audio.

This is comprised of 2 relays to bypass existing CD Changer Audio with your external audio source.

Quick Reply: IPOD With NAV - NO FM Mod. --- HELP