GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is AC Always on in Auto Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 09:43 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a long *** answer lol. Why did they bump a decade old thread?
Old 12-24-12, 10:31 AM
wgreene63
Driver School Candidate

Default Wonder what your profession is!!!

Maybe a better statement is circulating the refrigerant is better for the seals, not the orings. But the facts are, AC shops in Florida get a lot of business from people in Spring that did not use their AC at all during the winter months.

Chk thread:

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...he-ac-for-heat
Old 12-24-12, 07:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wgreene63
Maybe a better statement is circulating the refrigerant is better for the seals, not the orings. But the facts are, AC shops in Florida get a lot of business from people in Spring that did not use their AC at all during the winter months.

Chk thread:

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...he-ac-for-heat
it doesn't change ANYTHING for either, as the refrigerant is ALWAYS present in the system, it doesn't bottle itself off and store itself in the accumulator, its always in the system just not necessarily being chilled.

i don't need your link which mostly was garbage, i have managed a HVAC supply for the last decade, yes 10 years so i think I'm pretty knowledgeable about HVAC systems ....whats your background and experience? some internet links?

BTW why did u bump this 10 year old thread
Old 12-24-12, 08:41 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hit auto then push the ac button. Now you have automatic temperature and fan ect.. But without ac.
Old 12-24-12, 08:43 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
it doesn't change ANYTHING for either, as the refrigerant is ALWAYS present in the system, it doesn't bottle itself off and store itself in the accumulator, its always in the system just not necessarily being chilled.

i don't need your link which mostly was garbage, i have managed a HVAC supply for the last decade, yes 10 years so i think I'm pretty knowledgeable about HVAC systems ....whats your background and experience? some internet links?

Is it not the oil that lubricates the seals not the refrigerant? Also I believe all modern cars turn on the ac when you push the front defogger button since ac reduces humidity.

Last edited by sam12345; 12-24-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 02:47 PM
wgreene63
Driver School Candidate

Default I give. You win

Originally Posted by sakataj

Ten whole years supplying HVAC products. Got it. Well I have a little more years involved in actually working on cars, turning wrenches but if you say you are knowledgable I will agree.
I simply came to this group to find out about a defroster problem I am having with my GS. Back in the early 90's when I got my first Lexus (this is my 7th) groups like this actually offered help. Not just knowledgable people who sit behind a desk bragging about how knowledgable they are.
Fact still is in Florida we do a lot of A/C work on cars that did not use their A/C all winter. Yes the oil stays in the system but if not circulated the seals will dry out and leak.
That thread was a quick internet search but did point out that it is a good ideal to circulate the refrigerant and oil every once and a while. Yes some cars turn the AC compressor on when going to defrost but not all do. So tell you what I will agree that you are knowledgable if you will let someone else help me with my defroster problem.
Regards.

Mike
Old 12-26-12, 10:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Is it not the oil that lubricates the seals not the refrigerant? Also I believe all modern cars turn on the ac when you push the front defogger button since ac reduces humidity.
yes it is the oil that lubricates the seals....but as the freon circulates, so does the oil not to mention the oil is ALWAYS present in the system just like the freon so its technically always lubricated. now if it sits for years without circulating it can start to deteriorate them but one season wont hurt them (considering Florida really has no true winter so most Floridians do run the ac sometime in the winter)

Originally Posted by wgreene63
Ten whole years supplying HVAC products. Got it. Well I have a little more years involved in actually working on cars, turning wrenches but if you say you are knowledgable I will agree.
I simply came to this group to find out about a defroster problem I am having with my GS. Back in the early 90's when I got my first Lexus (this is my 7th) groups like this actually offered help. Not just knowledgable people who sit behind a desk bragging about how knowledgable they are.
Fact still is in Florida we do a lot of A/C work on cars that did not use their A/C all winter. Yes the oil stays in the system but if not circulated the seals will dry out and leak.
That thread was a quick internet search but did point out that it is a good ideal to circulate the refrigerant and oil every once and a while. Yes some cars turn the AC compressor on when going to defrost but not all do. So tell you what I will agree that you are knowledgable if you will let someone else help me with my defroster problem.
Regards.

Mike
why is it this whole response just feels like sarcasm? 10 years supplying HVAC parts/products AND most importantly supplying tech support to MOST "field techs", there are some who are very knowledgeable but most buy a part then call us to figure out how to hook it up or how to wire it in. i worked for Sears for 2 years before coming to Johnstone Supply (were a national company with over 300 stores nationwide) so technically i have 12 years experience in this field so i have a little bit more knowledge than "just sitting behind a keyboard". lol i dont care if you agree if im knowledgeable this isnt a contest for me..... you internet HVAC techs always make me chuckle. i never said it was a bad idea to circulate the ac, i said it wont specifically cause the O-rings to dry out (especially not in one season) because although the freon/oil isnt always circulating its always present in the system and is always "sitting" on the O-rings anyway. good luck fixing your issue

BTW i have been wrenching since i was 16 so i have 14 years of that also...and this is my 3rd lexus