GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Who installed a car alarm into their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 09:08 AM
skaiyun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my installer put in a compustar system in about a day. i remember him telling my why didn't you bring in a civic- can crank one on in about 2 hours.
Old 09-16-07, 01:11 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just put in a fuel shutoff and a pager/car tracker? The fuel pump should be electric so should be easier to put in a kill switch rather then alarm. Then put in a pager independently of the stock alarm so you know when someone is messing with the car. A tracker would let you know where the car is. Put in all independent of stock wiring. I did the first two with my 68 Camero and then added an alarm with a 2 minute delay so I could catch the bastards. Worked well when the pager went off in my frat house and 15 of my frat brothers went running to my car with bats and bricks. Only problem was it was our pledges f'n with my car to see what would happen. That of course was before black boxes but the theory may still work with the complex electrics of our cars. You may just need to cut the power wire to the fuel pump, splice in a relay and a switch and then hide the switch in your car. Of course a flatbed solves all problems but that is what the tracker is for.
Old 09-16-07, 09:39 AM
j0xxx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Why don't you just put in a fuel shutoff and a pager/car tracker? The fuel pump should be electric so should be easier to put in a kill switch rather then alarm. Then put in a pager independently of the stock alarm so you know when someone is messing with the car. A tracker would let you know where the car is. Put in all independent of stock wiring. I did the first two with my 68 Camero and then added an alarm with a 2 minute delay so I could catch the bastards. Worked well when the pager went off in my frat house and 15 of my frat brothers went running to my car with bats and bricks. Only problem was it was our pledges f'n with my car to see what would happen. That of course was before black boxes but the theory may still work with the complex electrics of our cars. You may just need to cut the power wire to the fuel pump, splice in a relay and a switch and then hide the switch in your car. Of course a flatbed solves all problems but that is what the tracker is for.
thats kinda dumb to do all those things when an alarm can do all that in one brain instead of putting in 3 or 4 different things just buy a nice viper or python with SST (1 mile range 2 way pager) remote start, keyless entry, shock sensor, alarm, you can get a glass break sensor, or/and a tilt sensor, a proximety sensor, all to one brain with one remote, and whenever you do an aftermarket alarm the factory alarm works as well. all decent alarms should have factory alarm arm and disarm to make sure all components of your vehicles alarm work right. the aftermarket alarm also has starter kill which is pretty much a relay that splits your starter wire in 2 so if the alarm is going off it wont crank, and also if you do a remote start on your lexus you will need the bypass module since all lexus keys have a certain amount of resistance in it and the module mimicks the same amt of resitance that your key throws. oh yeah there are compannys that have trackers that you can incorporate into you alarm where you can call the tracker and they can unlock, lock, start, kill etc., your car (just like onstar). also there is a program setting on high end alarms called comfort closure what it does is sends a lock pulse to 20 more seconds after you lock your car to roll the windows up just like how you can do with your factory remote except without having to hold the button. if you have aux channels on your alarm you can program to roll the windows down very simple instead of having to buy a window automation module which is very expensive and very tedious to install as well. so yeah... i have a 891xp python (dei exact same as viper different snake on the box) its the 2 way remote start keyless entry alarm that i did myself and i have been doing alarms for years and it was a pain in my ***.
so if you want an alarm on your lex please let someone with experience do it so it will be done RIGHT!
Old 09-16-07, 02:17 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vm2 seemed to want a DYI option vs. a pro. A fuel shut off is a low cost, low tech way that could be reversed by himself if any problems occured. Removing the fuse for the fuel pump would also result in the same low tech way but more inconvenient. I also have a Max with a viper alarm with a remote start installed by a pro. I had starting issues and had to bring the car to a dealer. Their first remedy was to pull out the viper alarm to make the car stock. Once they did that they said the alarm was incorrectly wired into the remote locks of the car and they replaced a relay. Now the car starts fine but has no remote locks. Since the alarm was put in by a prior owner I have no recourse against the alarm installer. Also, once a thief defeats one item he will probably look to move on if the car doesn't start. Time is his enemy more so then anything else. A pro would just have a flatbed or wait for you to take your key away from you and there goes your $2,000 alarm with your Lexus. I also know a guy who is a repo man. He goes to the local police and tells them he is repoing a car for failure to make payments. Do they check any paperwork, maybe, maybe not. That may explain why in Newark it is not unusual for a car with the alarm blaring passing you on a flatbed.
Old 09-16-07, 05:52 PM
j0xxx
Pole Position

well that sucks too have your car towed off like that but what can you do its all based on what you want to do to your car. all im saying is if your gonna do it have it done right the first time and if your not knowledgeable in that field then let someone that knows how to do it get it done. thats all.these are $40,000+ cars do you really wanna screw it up from not knowing what your doing and pay the cost to fix it? even if it is in warranty they can tell whats been messed with and not and you will have to pay for it.
Old 09-19-07, 04:59 PM
nhanphat
Driver School Candidate

Just installed VIPER 5900 on my GS at Myer-Emco. The 5900 range is unbelievable I worked on 5th floor and my car parked 300ft away from the building across over 20 walls and I can start my car in 2 seconds.

There is a problem with the rear defroster they can’t able to hook it up, and your steering wheel will not pop out when inserting the key, I have to used the memory seat function to get the steering wheel to position.

How many minutes would you set for running the car? The default of 5900 is 12 minutes.
Old 09-19-07, 08:02 PM
j0xxx
Pole Position

what???? i have remote start on my car and as soon as it starts is just like i started it with the key it the steering wheel drops and the rear defroster is 1 wire to hook up. so yeah lemme know
Old 09-19-07, 09:25 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wondering for those of you guys that have installed your own alarms, where did you find the wire for the hood pin and trunk pin? The wiring diagram says there's a wire on the Body ECU which is in the driver/passenger kick areas...but I've loooked and looked and couldn't find them.

Also how about all the sensors for all 4 doors? Is there a single triggering wire somewhere thats linked to all the doors? Or do I have to physically run a wire from each door to the alarm unit? That would really suck lol.
Old 09-19-07, 09:47 PM
j0xxx
Pole Position

well if your in an 05 gs the way to do door triggers is pull out your gauge cluster and pull the piece that has the door open light on it you want to look for a red/green wire make sure you test the wire it should read ground when a door is opened the best way to test the wire is to test continuity . as far as the trunk and hood triggers go:
trunk pin: negative trigger(-) : red/white in drivers kick 20 pin plug, pin 3
hood pin: negative trigger (-) :violet/green at pin switch or becu #1 pin 9 The Body ECU NO. 1 is attached to the back of the fuse box in the passenger kick.

make sure you test the wires
make sure you test the wires

halla at me if you need help i will be more than happy to help you out. you can just aim me if ya want.
Old 09-20-07, 12:00 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey not sure if the newer GS's are different. I have everything wired up as is but only my drivers door unlocks. The dual pulse thing doesn't work...possibly an issue with newer Toyotas? On my friends TC which is an '06 it doesn't work either. I'd really hate to have to pull out all the wiring and redo it on the passenger door to get all 4 to open lol. The easy fix is to just hit unlock once with the alarm remote then hit it again with the unlock button on the OEM remote lol. If there's no easy way around this then I'll just leave it as is.

Also, is it supposed to be normal that the factory alarm no longer triggers? I armed the factory alarm only and tried opening the doors from inside, popping the hood from inside, and opening the trunk with the key. I know it always used to go off if I tried any of that. But now, the alarm stays silent. I know the aftermarket alarm will take over those functions either way, but I was just wondering if the factory alarm is completely useless at this point. Let me know how your setup is working. If everything is working for you, then I have a feeling that Toyota decided to make a few software changes in their computers for the later model cars.
Old 09-20-07, 09:07 AM
j0xxx
Pole Position

oh ok you have to wire up 2 relays in the door to make the doorlocks work thats the deal for lex's and high end toyota ill shoot ya a diagram of the relay wire up.
as far as the factory alarm it still works it will not beep or anything you should be able to leave your window down, arm the alarm your new alarm and unlock the door from inside the car the factory alram should instantly go off. if it doesnt then the factory alarm arm wire off your new alarm is not hooked up. actually ill send you all the wire codes for yoru ride along wiht that realy diagram.

oh yeah the factory alarm arms with lock and disarms with unlock even after the new alarm is in

still gonna send ya the diagrams though

Last edited by j0xxx; 09-20-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 06:23 PM
nhanphat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j0xxx
what???? i have remote start on my car and as soon as it starts is just like i started it with the key it the steering wheel drops and the rear defroster is 1 wire to hook up. so yeah lemme know
You done it yourself? installer told me that he couldn't hook you the defroster i really want to know why? and regrading the wheel i have to call him tommorrow?
Old 05-06-13, 06:08 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

does anyone know which is the correct rear defrost wire behind the climate control? i'm trying to hook up the option on the alarm.
Old 05-07-13, 05:34 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i had the viper 8520 installed on my car with the autostart. been about 3 years its fine to me. the only thing about the autostart is that it uses power from the battery directly not from the starter or anything, and on top of that im running a full system in the back lol
Old 03-01-20, 01:21 AM
ARCurtiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j0xxx
oh ok you have to wire up 2 relays in the door to make the doorlocks work thats the deal for lex's and high end toyota ill shoot ya a diagram of the relay wire up.
as far as the factory alarm it still works it will not beep or anything you should be able to leave your window down, arm the alarm your new alarm and unlock the door from inside the car the factory alram should instantly go off. if it doesnt then the factory alarm arm wire off your new alarm is not hooked up. actually ill send you all the wire codes for yoru ride along wiht that realy diagram.

oh yeah the factory alarm arms with lock and disarms with unlock even after the new alarm is in

still gonna send ya the diagrams though

Still got those relay wiring diagrams available? I'm installing an alarm on my 2000 GS300 and that's the only thing holding me back. Thank you and much appreciated.

Anthony Curtiss