GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Who installed a car alarm into their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 02:52 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who installed a car alarm into their GS?

Ok, I've searched, but didn't really come up with anything about what I was looking for.

I'm trying to see who here has installed an aftermarket alarm system on their 2GS themselves.

I know a shop could do it, but why pay them?

I've done an alarm install on a newer civic before, and it took 3 days on and off so I'm sure I can do this.

Question is, is there anything special I should know about before I proceed?

I'm looking at the new Viper 5900 with the SpreadSpectrum or the Viper 7900 with no SpreadSpectrum but a tight *** remote.
Old 05-09-07, 03:19 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

I paid a shop to put in Compustar into mine. It's pretty good. It has an auto-starter, and shock sensors everywhere. It also has really cool special features like a entry code to get into the car if you were ever to lock the keys inside your car.
Old 05-09-07, 03:21 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the Viper responder for about 7-8 months
and then i went back to stock. to me , stock works better
Old 05-09-07, 03:24 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VM 2
Ok, I've searched, but didn't really come up with anything about what I was looking for.

I'm trying to see who here has installed an aftermarket alarm system on their 2GS themselves.

I know a shop could do it, but why pay them?

I've done an alarm install on a newer civic before, and it took 3 days on and off so I'm sure I can do this.

Question is, is there anything special I should know about before I proceed?

I'm looking at the new Viper 5900 with the SpreadSpectrum or the Viper 7900 with no SpreadSpectrum but a tight *** remote.
If you have doubts about your ability to install it yourself, my advice would be to go and let an authorized dealer do it. Especially if you're considering the Viper. The warranty that comes with the authorized install is a great thing. Just pick up the 791xv on amazon for $200 or less and shop around until you find an authorized dealer who you're comfortable with and has a decent price. But you're protecting your ride, why skim a corner here? Plus I've heard the wiring is tricky as all hell with our cars.
Old 05-09-07, 04:53 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

The lexus is quite a bit different and harder than a civic. The door locks need to be wired into the front door and require you to wire in a relay and two diodes. To unlock all doors you go into the pass door. For progressive locks you wire into the drivers door. Aside from that pain the rest is easy.
Old 05-09-07, 06:39 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

What you need is plenty of time. I got a Viper in mine and the shop had my car for over three hours. I would imagine this DIY project will be longer. Good luck with that if u decide to go that route.
Old 05-09-07, 07:13 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

From my experiences living in CA, if someone wants to take my car, no alarm is going to stop them. The brake lock for me is a better investment.
Old 05-09-07, 07:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Viper 791xv in mine. Excellent system with no problems to date. Install took 6 hours.. Very intricate operation with no room for error. You may lose some of the cars functions if you screw up. Let the professionals do the install.. Do a search for "viper alarm" on the board. It has been discussed many times.
Old 05-09-07, 07:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyGS3
i had the Viper responder for about 7-8 months
and then i went back to stock. to me , stock works better
How does stock work better?
Old 05-09-07, 09:31 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
. I would imagine this DIY project will be longer. Good luck with that if u decide to go that route.

Hah I'd imagine so. Hell, a civic took me maybe around 10 hours. But thats also because of the transponder in the key. I had to probe most of the wires to make sure thats what I needed.

I might just go ahead with it. Only thing I'd see as a speedbump is wiring up the command for all windows/sunroof to open like factory, and the keysense so that the steering column comes down prior to autostart.

If I do it, I will take pictures and post a DIY for people who have decent soldering skills and want to save a few hundred bucks.

Also, about the warranty, I know if I install it myself, it'll still be cheaper if the system craps out on me. For example, a Viper 791xv down here costs around 500 -600 installed.

If you buy it on ebay ($200) and wire it up correctly it will only cost you the 200 plus your own time, however in the event that the unit takes a dump on you for some reason, you can just buy a new unit for another 200 and plug it right up, provided you wired it up correctly the 1st time.

Not 100% sure yet though, still waiting to see if anyone had attempted this yet. I know someone surely out there has installed it themselves? CL has people that are DIY gurus.
Old 05-09-07, 09:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was thinking about doing this myself, but the Viper installation manuals are hard as hell to get a hold of. I also need all the wiring diagrams for the wiring in the dash and such. It's not easy to get a hold of that kind of info for a Lexus VS a Honda lol. I have the factory service manual and it doesn't contain any info on that kinda stuff...unless I missed it somewhere.
Old 05-09-07, 10:13 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I was thinking about doing this myself, but the Viper installation manuals are hard as hell to get a hold of. I also need all the wiring diagrams for the wiring in the dash and such. It's not easy to get a hold of that kind of info for a Lexus VS a Honda lol. I have the factory service manual and it doesn't contain any info on that kinda stuff...unless I missed it somewhere.
That 12 volt website has the wiring info as well as the bulldog security website.

I used the bulldog security website for the civic install, and all the wires were right, except the unlock/lock wire, they were reversed.

Thats why I tested all the wires before I spliced it.

I think that I will go ahead with the install within a few weeks. Hopefully I don't run into anything.
Old 05-09-07, 10:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VM 2
That 12 volt website has the wiring info as well as the bulldog security website.

I used the bulldog security website for the civic install, and all the wires were right, except the unlock/lock wire, they were reversed.

Thats why I tested all the wires before I spliced it.

I think that I will go ahead with the install within a few weeks. Hopefully I don't run into anything.
Do they have the specific wiring for the GS? If so, I'm gonna give this a shot.

EDIT: I just checked that site and all the wiring info seems to be there. Big thumbs up for the info!
Old 05-09-07, 10:17 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

GS300 1998 -2003
Requires 791 Bypass Module and extra Ignition Key
PART COLOR LOCATION DIAGRAM
12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER BLACK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE YELLOW (-) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) RED/YELLOW (-) UNDER STEERING COLUMN
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) GREEN (+) @ BOTTOM RIGHT OF FUSE PANEL
POWER LOCK See NOTE *1 See DIAGRAM 31101_GS300_TOYOTA and LEXUS door lock interface.pdf
POWER UNLOCK See NOTE *1 See DIAGRAM
LOCK MOTOR WIRE GREEN/RED (+) @ DRIVERS DOOR MODULE in DRIVERS DOOR
DOOR TRIGGER GREEN (-) @ PIN 13 IN 25 PIN PLUG AT BODY ECU, See NOTE *2
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER, Requires Part #775 Relay
TRUNK RELEASE BLUE (+), Requires Part #775 Relay @ 18 PIN PLUG, IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN GREEN/BLACK (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH BLACK/YELLOW IN PIN 16 AT 28-PIN PLUG INSIDE ECU BOX, See NOTE *2
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE GREEN/WHITE (+) IN 20-PIN PLUG IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM DISARMS with KEYSENSE wire @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, REQUIRES 791 BYPASS MODULE AND EXTRA IGNITION KEY TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER
NOTES
NOTE *1 THIS VEHICLE'S DOORLOCKS ARE SPECIAL AND WILL REQUIRE AN EXTRA RELAY, PART #775 AND 2 DIODES, TO CONNECT, See DIAGRAM

NOTE *2 THE BODY ECU (ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE) IS LOCATED BEHIND THE FUSE PANEL IN THE PASSENGER KICK PANEL AT BODY ECU.

NOTE *3 THE ECU (ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT) IS LOCATED UNDER THE HOOD ON THE DRIVERS SIDE.
Old 05-09-07, 10:18 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

GS300 2004 -2005
LEXUS TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, Requires 791 Bypass Module and extra Ignition Key
PART COLOR LOCATION DIAGRAM
12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/BLUE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER BLACK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 BLACK/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE YELLOW (-) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) RED/YELLOW (-) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) GREEN (+) @ 11 PIN PLUG, BOTTOM OF FUSEBOX
POWER LOCK See NOTE *1 See DIAGRAM 6460_GS300_TOYOTA and LEXUS door lock interface.pdf
POWER UNLOCK See NOTE *1 See DIAGRAM
LOCK MOTOR WIRE GREEN/RED (+) @ DRIVERS DOOR MODULE, in DRIVERS DOOR
DOOR TRIGGER See NOTE *2 @ DOOR MODULE, IN EACH DOOR 26500_GS300_(-) NEGATIVE DOOR PIN ISOLATION CIRCUIT.pdf
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION GREEN (-) See NOTE *3 @ PIN 13, BECU #2, See NOTE *3
TRUNK RELEASE PURPLE/YELLOW (-), Requires Part #775 Relay @ TRUNK RELEASE SWITCH
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN GREEN/BLACK (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH BLACK/YELLOW @ INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE GREEN/WHITE (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM DISARMS with KEYSENSE wire, See NOTE *4
ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, REQUIRES 791 BYPASS MODULE AND EXTRA IGNITION KEY TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER
NOTES
NOTE *1 THIS VEHICLE'S DOORLOCKS ARE SPECIAL AND WILL REQUIRE AN EXTRA RELAY, PART #775 AND 2 DIODES, TO CONNECT, See DIAGRAM

NOTE *2 THE LEFT FRONT DOOR TRIGGER IS RED/GREEN (-),THE RIGHT FRONT IS RED/GREEN (-),THE LEFT REAR DOOR IS RED/WHITE (-), AND THE RIGHT REAR DOOR IS RED/YELLOW (-).USE ALL 4 DOOR TRIGGER WIRES AND DIODE ISOLATE, TO CONNECT, See DIAGRAM

NOTE *3 THE BECU #2, IS ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THE FUSEBOX IN THE DRIVERS KICK PANEL.

NOTE *4 the vehicle can be disarmed without unlocking by attaching a (-) Negative output wire to the BLUE (-) KEYSENSE wire in the IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS.

Quick Reply: Who installed a car alarm into their GS?