GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Problem. Right Side blowing warm air

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 12:20 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qgoat
Took my car to the dealer today for the same problem. They told me I have a slow leak in the evaporator
so how can it be fixed and how much is it going to cost?
Old 06-13-07, 04:14 PM
qgoat
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They added a can of freon and now both sides are cold again. He told me the only sure fix is to replace the evaporator. I'm gonna drive it and if the leak is slow enough to get me through the summer I'll just recharge it every year but if it leaks down immediately I will replace the evapoorator. I didnt get a price quote on the evaporator replacement. I'm sure its not cheap but it will be a diy for me if it comes to that.

Last edited by qgoat; 06-13-07 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 08:57 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

so i went to the dealer yesterday and got the same result as goat. they refilled the freon and put a dye in it to see if there's any leaks. he told me to drive it for a while until the ac stops blowing cold air again. guess its an easy fix, anyone know how to add freon to your engine?
Old 06-16-07, 09:48 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i fixed my problem. turned out i was low on freon also. i evacuated & recharged the a/c system now it blows snow *****. I believe it might have a slow leak also just don't know where
Old 06-25-07, 10:25 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

you added the freon yourself? does anyone know if there's a DIY with pics on this topic?

the dealer put it a liquid into my a/c system that will glow under a special light so they can pin point the leak if possible.

they also said that every 2 years, an older car's a/c system should need to be recharged.
Old 06-25-07, 10:30 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

That stinks. Warm air and cold air..... You guys are going to have tornadoes inside your cars.
Old 06-25-07, 05:55 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You should only have to recharge an AC system if you have a leak or failure of a major component like a compressor or clogged expansion valve. That is the only reasons I can think of at this point. The EPA would be interested if they are just recharging systems and not finding the root cause. I would watch this dealer especially close..

I almost forgot.... The R134A systems are very specific as to how much refrigerant the system should be charged with. I would find someone that has an evacuation system with a way to measure the recharge and let them check for leaks with the vacuum then recharge.

Last edited by TRD911; 06-25-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 10:10 PM
billfamust
Driver School Candidate

yeah its a slow leak...mine had the same problem as of today....I simply just pop the hood. Next find the R-13/ freon refigerent resovior, it should be a small grey cap about the size of a dime. Its located on the front right side if you are facing the car. Its kind of far down but with some gloves it dosent get too hot you be fine.Make sure that the car is turned off . Then you get something like a small screw driver, or screw and then simply drain all of the freon out. You do this by finding a small release pin in the resovoir. Next apply the freon hose to the resovoir. make sure the car is off. Next Get something like a clothes hanger to keep the bottle from falling down into your hood. Now, you turn the car on. Turn A/C on at full blast. Now slowly turn the release pin on the refigerent hose. When done correctly you will see the a/c line develop condensation and the line will become very cold . After you drain it you probably will use about 2 cans of R-13. Problem fixed

Enjoy your A/C

If yo have a leak this is a good substitute until you can get it to the dealer. I live in FL so A/C is a MUST!!!!!
PS: You may need to buy a pressure reader so you dont overfill your system...which can be very bad. I dont think you want to exceed 40 - 45psi
Old 06-29-07, 10:11 PM
billfamust
Driver School Candidate

This will last about 2-3 months b4 the leak comes back
Old 06-30-07, 02:49 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I have the same problem. I carry a recharge kit in my trunk until I can get it repaired. It will last approx 2 months in Florida, using your A/C everyday. That is if you have a slow leak.
Old 06-16-08, 08:43 AM
minla007
Pole Position

im bringing this thread back from the dead. i've been having this issue lately. When AC is on, temp is both set to 65, drivers side is cold, but pass. side is HOT!

so the solution would be to add a can of freon? how much is freon and where can i get it?

what exactly is an "AC recharge"?

sorry for the newb questions, any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-16-08, 09:22 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No that is not a freon issue, I dont think we ever did reach a consensus as to the problem but if it were freon both sides would be hot.
Old 06-17-08, 02:42 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Im confused. Is this problem need of freon, a sensor or a mechanical one.
Old 07-23-08, 09:09 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I answered my own question.

I added freon and the a/c is now nice and cold, on both sides.

Problem fixed. Thanks

cost: $30 subzero bottle with guage @ ur local auto parts
Old 07-23-08, 01:02 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a temperature guage and measure your passenger vent then your drivers. I am having the same issue. I do not see how refrigerant (freon) could cause this as there is only one (1) evaporator and two dampers. You may have been low on refrigerant and adding just masked the problem.

BP

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I answered my own question.

I added freon and the a/c is now nice and cold, on both sides.

Problem fixed. Thanks

cost: $30 subzero bottle with guage @ ur local auto parts

Quick Reply: A/C Problem. Right Side blowing warm air