GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

K & N Commercial - New Intake? - Not For Me Though :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-01, 07:01 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K & N Commercial - New Intake? - Not For Me Though :D

I'm not pursuing this, but this is for those of you who may want an intake without the ECU.....

I saw this commercial while watching Speedvision this morning.

K&N makes an intake called an FTPK intake, or something similar, with a K&N filter on the end. Check their website for details.

Visualize an SRT, then color it black; it looked plastic actually.

The interesting thing was, the car they showed it mounted on was a GS4! I saw the engine cover with the L, and the unmistakeable the bend in the intake near the engine intake.

A couple of items to consider - I didn't see a heatshield in the 3 second shot, and I didn't catch them mentioning an ECU to go along with it, so in the big scheme of things, not sure if its really a valid HP upgrade or not.

YMMV
Old 12-09-01, 07:15 AM
GScorpion
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a website that carries this K&N FTPK product. The website states a 14hp increase. No mention of an ECU and at a price of $445.00 this is one exspensive air filter.
Old 12-09-01, 07:21 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

14hp increase? Geez, thats a lot from just a filter w/o ECU.

K&N being a good, reputable company though, I'd like to believe them, but I hope they've got their claim justified
Old 12-09-01, 08:50 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Attached is the pic of the GS400 air intake from the K&N website.. As you can see it does have a heat shield.. According to the website this intake gives you 11 hp gain..

Old 12-09-01, 09:48 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I don't have ANY data to back it up, my personal logic tells me that the engine wont put out a discernable amount of additioal HP if there is no ECU correction allowed for the additional air flow....

I would imagine a majority of these products are designed for pre-EFI engines, when all you had to worry about was gas, air, and your carb.....

But for that kind of $, heck, just spend another hundy, and get SRTs which includes the ECU.
Old 12-09-01, 10:50 AM
RacingAristo

For me, an intake is an intake. It can only add or even subtract certain number of HP but definitely not 14HP gain. Remember back then people lose HP by using RMM's intakes? Coupled with ECU, 14 HP gain is certainly more reasonable.
Old 12-09-01, 05:02 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
coupla mths ago called K&N inquiring about this intake which i also saw on speedvision.The sales person told me they do not sell intakes for the gs 400.When i mentioned i had seen it advertised on speedvision he said it was not for a gs400.So call them up , maybe this time they do.
clive.
Old 12-09-01, 05:18 PM
lexon20's
Driver

under the k&n web site under Q&A it says if you disconect the battery the factory ecu will readjust to the new air and remeasure the fuel and air mixture,if this is so why buy an ecu?
Old 12-09-01, 06:14 PM
GScorpion
Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
For me, an intake is an intake. It can only add or even subtract certain number of HP but definitely not 14HP gain. Remember back then people lose HP by using RMM's intakes? Coupled with ECU, 14 HP gain is certainly more reasonable.

The link below is where I got my info on Horsepower and pricing.

http://suprastore.com/kngsfipinsys.html
Old 12-10-01, 11:08 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Take a look at the K&N website. The online stores that they recommend sell the part for much cheaper. The Marten brothers? (if i can recall the site correctly) sells it for 309.00 free shipping. good deal if you ask me.
Old 12-16-01, 08:58 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Is lexon20s statement true? Seems to make sense.
My little brother has a 2000 Honda Accord V6 and when our local high performance shop installed his cold air AEM intake that was all they did (Disconnect the battery) and the car adjusted itself.. Seems to work on his car and I assume it would work on ours but then again i'm no expert when it comes to Lexus electronics..

BTW for you guys up here in Canada you can order this FTPK intake from Canadian Tire for $379.99 CDN.. If I buy one i'll put together a post with my thoughts on the installation in the GS..

Ken

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 12-16-01 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-16-01, 11:38 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

BUT what about the GS300!!!!! The only option is Weapon R and SRT??????? Give us I6 guys some love!
Old 12-16-01, 11:55 AM
RacingAristo

for GS300, RMM, SRT, WR, RS Akimoto. Also area 51 fabricates lots of IS300 intake and perhaps you could ask them for GS300 application.
Old 12-16-01, 02:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I spoke with a Lexus tech and (who's into aftermarket stuff) and he said the unplugging of the ECU, at least on Lexus cars will ONLY correct the fuel map up to a certain point...meaning if you're sucking in 3x the air compared to the stock setup, the ECU is NOT going to put in 3x the fuel just because you "reset" it...if that was the case, there would be NO NEED for a remapped ECU with ANY sort of air intake (even a FI solution like a SuperCharger)...but as we know, that's not the case.

The stock ECU has preset maximums (ceilings) and guess what? With the stock airbox and a CLEAN stock filter, you're hitting that maximum.

Same thing on a Honda...once the filters get dirty, they run just like they did with their dirty stock filter...dirty filters limit air intake...
Old 12-17-01, 06:29 AM
lexon20's
Driver

thanx manaray i asked that question on another post about 1 month ago and iit fnally got answered

Quick Reply: K & N Commercial - New Intake? - Not For Me Though :D