GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Debating Paint...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 01:41 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Debating Paint...need opinions

I was talkin to my boy at his shop today about paintin the G. I've always wanted to paint my car...I like dark cars(black, navy etc).Mine is pearl white and everyone has told me that I shouldn't paint it a different color cuz it's a ton of work and money. He suggested two toning it since my current paint is nice. To those who don't know what I'm talkin about. It painting either the top or bottom half one color, with a pinstripe where they meet and clear coating the whole car. What's your opinion? what colors would you choose? black? cranberry? Pearl white on top or bottom? what color pinstripe?

Need some opinions

PICS OF TWO TONED CARS
Old 05-19-07, 01:58 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

In my opinion it all depends on what your goal is for the ride. You want it to be luxurious / Vip style or Racer. From the way your ride looks right now, I think either leave it the way it is, or get a real subtle 2 ton with colors that do not contract too much. Besides, being in the NY/NJ area, not sure if it is wise to attract too much attention, esp from haters.
Old 05-19-07, 02:01 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

what color would you pick?
Old 05-19-07, 02:10 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dog its your whip! Paint it with whatever color crosses your mind the most often! Make sure its not a "i made a poll on club lexus and went with that color" decision. You WILL regret it at some point.

If there is nothing that jumps out and grabs you, then dont bother, because it wont be worth it.
Old 05-19-07, 02:13 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I like the Lexus pearl white and would leave it as it is, but if I had to chose, I'd go something of a shadow effect . You know how Chip Foose darkens the bottom of the car he fixes up in Overhaulin. I would also ask the painter to load up on the pearl color, and see if that can be added to the clear coat or something so it just gives your car a nice effect when the sun hits it.
Old 05-19-07, 02:19 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golfkid777
Dog its your whip! Paint it with whatever color crosses your mind the most often! Make sure its not a "i made a poll on club lexus and went with that color" decision. You WILL regret it at some point.

If there is nothing that jumps out and grabs you, then dont bother, because it wont be worth it.
Just want other peoples opinions. To see if people are thinking of things that didn't cross my mind. Not sure if I'm going to do it or not yet. Seein if people are feelin the idea cuz I'm not sure what i think
Old 05-19-07, 02:22 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

I gotcha man, i have seen too many people do things because they were just trying to please a crowd and it never works out.
Old 05-19-07, 02:31 PM
Mr. PLAT 4
Driver School Candidate

I was considering a similar idea in fact. I picked up my Platinum edition Millenium Silver 4 as a CPO from a Lexus dealer so the paint was flawless as is. Started considering paint options once the Lsportline kit is complete and installed. Thought about doing black top on the roof similar to panaramic with the windows blacked out all around. Whether or not to continue to the hood with carbon fiber down to a black grill, was debatable but might actually come out looking really mean. The extreme version would be to continue the black theme down a little further down onto the crease along the top profile of the car all around. That dropped with air runners on say 19" TrafficStar RT5 Black face/chrome lip would be the most hard look i would ever do, very similar to the 6-series pic you posted. But like the other member said, it might be too much for the haters to stand. LoL

Last edited by Mr. PLAT 4; 05-19-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 02:50 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on where you break the two-tone. I did mine at the body line above the door handles and the blue bottom/darker blue top is pretty subtle.

On a white car, I'd consider perhaps a silver or titanium on top- black might have too much contrast. I prefer the darker color on top usually; the darker bottom half always reminds me of early 90s Lexus and Mercedes models with the grey on the bottom half of the doors.

If you wanted to be different AND subtle, you could just paint the center portion of the roof panel black or metallic black, to emulate a "glass roof" panel. I did this on my GS with a really dark (almost black) and another guy did a black roof on a silver GS and it looked slick.

I say, dare to be different and go for it! It's just paint, after all...
Old 05-19-07, 02:50 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally i think if you did a Diamond Black with your Diamond White Pearl it would be hot Black on the roof, middle section of the hood, and top part of the trunk, it would flow extra nice because you dont have to spoiler good luck just my opinion.
Old 05-19-07, 02:55 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd paint my roof black or maybe the bottom center of the rear bumper black but I like it subtle. I have DWP too.

What about SocalSC4's car? He has custom paint on it and it looks great.

EDIT: Too late.
Old 05-19-07, 03:01 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
It depends on where you break the two-tone. I did mine at the body line above the door handles and the blue bottom/darker blue top is pretty subtle.

On a white car, I'd consider perhaps a silver or titanium on top- black might have too much contrast. I prefer the darker color on top usually; the darker bottom half always reminds me of early 90s Lexus and Mercedes models with the grey on the bottom half of the doors.

If you wanted to be different AND subtle, you could just paint the center portion of the roof panel black or metallic black, to emulate a "glass roof" panel. I did this on my GS with a really dark (almost black) and another guy did a black roof on a silver GS and it looked slick.

I say, dare to be different and go for it! It's just paint, after all...
You got any pics???
Old 05-19-07, 03:05 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbea
what color would you pick?
gold and white
Old 05-19-07, 03:09 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

got chrome wheels though
Old 05-19-07, 03:14 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Automan two-toned his, PM him and see if he can offer some suggestions or pics.

Quick Reply: Debating Paint...need opinions