GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Not to stir stuff up... but,

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01 | 04:09 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Not to stir stuff up... but,

I really wish other car manufacturers (Lexus included) would learn to build their suspensions the way BMW does. Most of the newer BMW models already look lowered from the factory, the wheels/tires tuck nicely into the wheel wells, and they have the geometry/clearances set up so that you can install wider wheels with a huge lip and not have clearance problems.
I saw a bunch of 5 series sport models today, and they all look mean right from the showroom floor. On the downside, I saw a bunch of 5 series sport models today (meaning I hardly ever see a GS4, which is a good thing! ).
All in all, I still ecstatic that I have a GS, but if I had to point to one thing that bothers me, it would be that it's pretty difficult to set our cars up with a front rim that has a really deep lip.
Old 12-11-01 | 04:35 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Also consider, even though the GS is a Sport Sedan, it still shoots for a demographic that is looking for more luxury than sport; thus, the cushiness right out of the box.

I don't know why Lexus hasn't aimed their sights more along the lines of sport - the car is a Bavarian killer in stock trim, just needs a few susp bolt ons to stay 'shiny side up', as I saw stated in a recent post, for the moutain twisties.

Although mine, with just the Ltuned, did very well when I pushed it very hard during our Asheville trip about 1.5 months ago...
Old 12-11-01 | 06:46 PM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

Default l tuned

Hi Dexter,
How much differnce do you feel with the Ltuned suspension? Does adding it void a factory warranty?

thanks,
Zach
Old 12-11-01 | 11:24 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I really do like the wire basket wheels that came with the sport pack on the 5 series. Even the old 3 series back in the late 70's/early 80's came with BBS wheels.

Of course, they might be a little too old school for the GS. Then again, maybe not.

Do they even make them to fit Lexus'?
Old 12-12-01 | 12:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen some BBS wheels fitted to a GS in a gallery on a japanese site.
Old 12-12-01 | 02:26 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Zach, L-Tuned parts are warrantied as is the install if done at a Lexus dealer. Think of L-Tuned as the beginning of M-Technic (BMW), S (Audi) or AMG (MB) for Lexus. Which it certainly has the parent to be, since these parts are from TRD.

Other mods (as far as warranty problems with Lexus) depend on the dealer; some are more friendly than others. Best to try to get to know your dealer's viewpoint ahead of time.

And I still like those old 3 piece BBS wire lookalikes; sure wouldn't want to clean 'em tho.
Old 12-12-01 | 04:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: l tuned

Originally posted by Zach
Hi Dexter,
How much differnce do you feel with the Ltuned suspension? Does adding it void a factory warranty?

thanks,
Zach
Well, obviously, feel, is diffucult to quantify, but my quick anser is this:

- significantly reduced amount boat-like body roll
- aesthestically pleasing to the eye with about a 1"drop all the way around

My .02, it looks and feels like is should have when it rolled off the line. I'm still getting TRD sways installed within the next few weeks just because I want it even flatter.

I'd also suggest getting the steering ECU to go along with it.

No LTuned parts, or TRD, will void any part of your warranty. For all intents and purposes, they are considered factory parts.

HTH
Old 12-12-01 | 05:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I don't think the BMW's 5 series handling is all that spectactular...now the 3 series is different story...

I would consider a 3 series (sport edition just to get the "titanium" ring gauges...cuz all the other shiat would be thrown out and upgraded) but the reliability issue with BMW's is always frightening when you compare it a Lexus (but it looks damn good when you compare it to an Ford!)...but man, the new 3-series coupe is one HOT looking car (but I also like the 3-series sedan's front end...which is different from the coupe)...

I feel the need to wash my mouth out with soap right now...
Old 12-12-01 | 05:56 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Actually, I don't think the BMW's 5 series handling is all that spectactular...now the 3 series is different story...

I would consider a 3 series (sport edition just to get the "titanium" ring gauges...cuz all the other shiat would be thrown out and upgraded) but the reliability issue with BMW's is always frightening when you compare it a Lexus (but it looks damn good when you compare it to an Ford!)...but man, the new 3-series coupe is one HOT looking car (but I also like the 3-series sedan's front end...which is different from the coupe)...

I feel the need to wash my mouth out with soap right now...
I agree with most of your comparisons. I shopped long and hard for both 540 sports and GS4's. While the exterior of the BMW, it's stance, and the availability of a manual transmission are appealing, they were outweighed by the concerns over reliability, and the sheer number of 5 series cars out there. I won't even go into the list of pluses the GS has
Old 12-12-01 | 07:31 AM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

Thanks for the info, guys!

Zach
Old 12-12-01 | 08:21 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I <3 my Bimmer! 8)
Old 12-12-01 | 10:39 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

My wife knows someone who just bought a new 330 coupe. She says it's beautiful. But when it's optioned out, it's $43k!

It did get me interested in beemers again. I looked at some 528I with sport packs and they look so nice. But my past experience with German cars, especially with BMW, brought me back to reality. I just can't shake the thought of all those problems.

One thing that is interesting is that the person traded in a 5 series for his 3 coupe. And he traded it in because it was giving him problems! Is that loyalty or what!