GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07 | 07:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hi Krista, thanks for the tips!
Originally Posted by KristaP
Hameed - that track looks to be a lot of fun. Ask around - someone in the area might have a brace (between headrests) on which to mount a video camera that you could borrow.
I may just end up buying one myself as I frequently want to use the camcorder in the car.

Good tips on car prep - bleed the brakes & replace fluid with ATE super blue, sounds like stronger studs would be a good idea, and also check to make sure that your brake pads have plenty of life in them. With a heavy car and short straights on the track, you are sure to put them to the test. I don't know Lexus pads so don't have something in mind for recommendations but someone here should chime in.
What is the main reason behind using the synthetic brake fluid? Does the stock fluid get too hot and break down?

I don't have the stock brakes or pads on my car. I have a StopTech BBK setup in the front with Axxis Metal master pads. On the rear are the stock brakes and pads but drilled rotors.

Only other thing that I have to add is a CG Lock; lots of places sell 'em all at the same price but bought my last set here for the free shipping http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=245. I used it in my Porsche to hold me in place before moving to 5 point harnesses. It's a far better solution than the old tighten the belt and move the seat forward trick. It also works really well on the Dragon!
Interesting point.... hmmmmm....
Old 05-30-07 | 08:46 AM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Hameed - didn't realize that you had a BBK but you will still want to make sure that you have plenty of pad left and that your rotors are in good shape. I would highly recommend that you at least bleed your brakes. Just bleeding them, which will require at least some fluid replacement, will help sustain your braking throughout the day. I would (and do) use ATE Super Blue though you could use 'stock' fluid.

The primary reason for going with the better fluids is the higher boiling point. Brake fluid absorbs moisture very quickly and all brake systems have some, hopefully small, amounts of water from condensation, etc. It will absorb moisture through plastic containers so don't store too long. The better fluids will come in metal containers for this reason and can be stored before use. The water in the system decreases the boiling points of brake fluids, all of them, though some absorb moisture more quickly than others.

Through use, especially the heavy braking of track use, the temperatures of all braking components are increased and their effectiveness decreased: pads will glaze and not 'grab' the rotor while rotors will hit max heat absorption, warp, decrease contact with pads, and transfer more heat throughout the system. High heat is bad. The point of BBKs is to increase the heat capacity of the system - keep the system working at higher temperatures + look way cooler.

In the fluid, the increasing temperatures will cause the fluid to boil. Remember boil = fluid turning to vapor. Vapor does not move pistons (at least not at brake system pressures) especially caliper pistons. The result is a brake pedal on the floor and a car that continues hurtling forward.

Fluid ------------------------DRY--WET BOILING POINT
  • Castrol LMA DOT 3/4---------446--311
  • Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3-------550--290
  • ATE Super Blue Racing--------536--392
  • ATE TYP 200-----------------536--392
  • Motul Racing 600-------------585--421
  • Castrol SRF-------------------590--518
  • Performance Friction----------550--284

The ATE is about $15/liter but can be found for less while the Castrol SRF can exceed $80/liter - both come in metal cans. The Castrol is also silicon based and would require a cha. The Motul is also pricey ($20?) but absorbs moisture more quickly than the ATE or Castrol and so needs to be changed more often; comes in plastic containers.

I think the best bang for the buck is the ATE and it is widely used at the track for this reason. For racers with money, they will use the Motul and change more frequently or the Castrol. A full fluid change usually takes 3 cans but once you have made the switch, future bleeding will usually take less than 1.

Hope this helps & wasnt too long winded
Old 05-30-07 | 09:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks very much for the detailed and very informative write up! It was not long winded at all!

Now I need to schedule this brake fluid change on top of the other maintenance items already scheduled for the same day in the morning (June 9th)!

Getting the following done that morning:
- Timing Belt change
- Water pump replaced
- Radiator fluid flush
- Tranny cooler install
- Engine oil change
- Replace wheel studs
- install hood pins on Carbon hood

Not sure if Desmond will have time to bleed the brakes, so may have to reschedule my track time till another day that the group on http://my.is/forums/f122/june-9th-4t...8-00pm-330960/ organizes another track day.
Old 05-30-07 | 10:19 AM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Ask Desmond if he could take care of it otherwise you might want to consider doing it yourself. Should take 30mins and a beer for someone else to help - less for a 'pro'. Barring that, however, if the rest of your brake system is in good order I'd hate to say miss a track day because your brakes weren't bled. Odds are that your run sessions out on track won't be longer than 30mins and while you will probably feel brake fade by the end of the session, they won't suddenly stop working. As the fluid's temperature increases, your pedal will travel further and further in order to slow the car. This is your cue that your brakes are fading and a cool down lap or pit stop is in order. Once they cool down, your braking efficiency will return.

Didn't mean to alarm but want you to have fun and enjoy the whole day. Brakes fade - just remember to use them sparingly, with authority when needed, and you can postpone that fade
Old 05-30-07 | 10:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

just buy a miata.

seriously though, the track will be real hard on all your bushings and the motor mounts. they may not be the same after.
Old 05-30-07 | 10:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by KristaP
Ask Desmond if he could take care of it otherwise you might want to consider doing it yourself. Should take 30mins and a beer for someone else to help - less for a 'pro'. Barring that, however, if the rest of your brake system is in good order I'd hate to say miss a track day because your brakes weren't bled. Odds are that your run sessions out on track won't be longer than 30mins and while you will probably feel brake fade by the end of the session, they won't suddenly stop working. As the fluid's temperature increases, your pedal will travel further and further in order to slow the car. This is your cue that your brakes are fading and a cool down lap or pit stop is in order. Once they cool down, your braking efficiency will return.

Didn't mean to alarm but want you to have fun and enjoy the whole day. Brakes fade - just remember to use them sparingly, with authority when needed, and you can postpone that fade
Not alarmed at all.

As a matter of fact you are right about the sessions being short. That seems to be the plan as mentioned on the original thread for the track day.

and also after a few hot laps make sure you do 1 cool down lap... avoid using the brakes... when comming in to pit for a rest remember not to pull your e-brake up... it may warp your rotors... another thing is open your hood when you stop in the pit to cool your engine bay... shut down the car but put the key ignition in the on position... that way your car won't generate more heat but the fan would still be on to cool the car...

The most important thing is that it's not a race... you are doing laps at your own pace... if another person is faster then signal them to let them pass... usually there are rules that generally state no pass in corners only passing allowed in the long straight areas and only if the person in front gives you the signal... the organizer would have a driver meet before you start... if you have any more questions you can ask him...
Old 05-30-07 | 10:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by chuckb
seriously though, the track will be real hard on all your bushings and the motor mounts. they may not be the same after.
You gotta pay to play bud!
Old 05-30-07 | 11:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Hameed
Here is a stupid question . I guess I need to order 4 sets of these sets of 5 studs?
Hameed, I would contact GSoup about the studs since he's ordered and using a set now.
Old 05-30-07 | 12:08 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Here is a stupid question . I guess I need to order 4 sets of these sets of 5 studs?
To answer your question Hameed, Yes. I have them on my car.
Old 05-30-07 | 12:15 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
To answer your question Hameed, Yes. I have them on my car.
Thanks! Ordered them yesterday!
Old 05-31-07 | 07:59 PM
LexFather

1. Get lots of rest. This **** is no joke, I was exhausted after my day at the track.
2. Lots of fluids for you.
3. Make sure you have a nice jack, usually someone has one though...
4. Make sure your car is in good running condition, ala, when we go to the Dragon ...all fluids ready to go...
5. Leave VSC on most of the time your first time, so if you lose it, the car's electronics will help you out.

We went out in 15 min sessions, at lil Talledega I topped out right around 100mph at the longest straight. I experienced severe fade at the end of the day. Your bbk will be BEAUTIFUL for you.

6. Take everyone out your car, nothing that can fly around the inside or the trunk.
7. Helmet...yu got a big *** head though (j/k dude)
8. Have fun fun fun!!
Old 06-01-07 | 01:08 AM
GS1stgen
Driver School Candidate

After reading this thread i was wondering what my car can do so i was racing on a touge near me. was keeping up with a 300zxTT and a Sub 2.5rs car shocked me and i ran faster with the GS then my S13. Def track car wearthy lol (how ever you spell it)
Old 06-01-07 | 06:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks Mike! Tips noted!
Old 06-01-07 | 07:29 AM
LexFather

Oh and biiiig tip, this is how I was overtaking Miata's

Brake BEFORE the turn, not in the turn. Braking in the turn=trouble....this is not like driving in traffic, you want to shoot out the corner...also you enter the apex's opposite as in traffic...it's odd at first but you will get the hang of it....
Old 06-01-07 | 07:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS1stgen
After reading this thread i was wondering what my car can do so i was racing on a touge near me. was keeping up with a 300zxTT and a Sub 2.5rs car shocked me and i ran faster with the GS then my S13. Def track car wearthy lol (how ever you spell it)
While heavily modified, Team Lexus had much success with their first car, a GS 400.

Quick Reply: Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?