GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 07:34 AM
GS1stgen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car handels a hole lot better then i thought for stock everything. When you guys go 2 the track you turn off traction controll i did and was nice but do you mess with the PWR ECT switch. Also what do they stand for. im thinking of getting another GS and tracking/Drifting it what you guys think.
Old 06-01-07, 07:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh and biiiig tip, this is how I was overtaking Miata's

Brake BEFORE the turn, not in the turn. Braking in the turn=trouble....this is not like driving in traffic, you want to shoot out the corner...
So how much braking do you know is enough to let off the pedal before you take the corner? Do you go by what type of corner it is - sharper means more braking etc?

also you enter the apex's opposite as in traffic...it's odd at first but you will get the hang of it....
You enter the apex's opposite? You mean for example if you are taking a right hand corner, you enter the corner from the left hand side

Last edited by Hameed; 06-01-07 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-01-07, 07:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Hameed,

If this is an event where you'll have an instructor in your run group they'll coach you through the braking and cornering techniques.
Old 06-01-07, 09:36 AM
maxgee
Driver

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Yea I am thinking of going to the track for the first time ever in about a month. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I have chrome 20's on my car, do you guys recommend tracking my car with the rims or does it not make a difference?

Your stock wheels will give you better results than the 20s.
Old 06-01-07, 10:08 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
Your stock wheels will give you better results than the 20s.
Yea tru. I noticed lexizm had his 19s when he went to the track with 1SICKLEX. I am wondering if I should buy some tires for the stock 16s and run with those if and when I head out to the track.
Old 06-01-07, 02:12 PM
maxgee
Driver

Yea tru. I noticed lexizm had his 19s when he went to the track with 1SICKLEX. I am wondering if I should buy some tires for the stock 16s and run with those if and when I head out to the track.
I would if you think you will go to the track more than once a month.
Old 06-01-07, 02:20 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
I would if you think you will go to the track more than once a month.
Most likely, I will. I have a feeling I am going to get hooked.
Old 06-01-07, 02:33 PM
LexFather

I have 18s. We didn't really wear our tires out during the track, my treadwear is still fine.

If you go often, from my reading, people recommend another set of wheels (lightweight/strong) and tires. It is a lot of stress on the car and unsprung parts.

Originally Posted by Hameed
So how much braking do you know is enough to let off the pedal before you take the corner? Do you go by what type of corner it is - sharper means more braking etc?

You enter the apex's opposite? You mean for example if you are taking a right hand corner, you enter the corner from the left hand side
I know this sounds nuts but watching racing and F1 helped me, maybe watch a race or two before you go. Otherwise, an event with an instructor is ideal, Krista and Dave can chime in more here, I'm still a track noob!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hameed,

If this is an event where you'll have an instructor in your run group they'll coach you through the braking and cornering techniques.
If they don't I got $20 bucks he gets in the grass at somepoint
Old 06-08-07, 05:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what happened?
Old 06-14-07, 09:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by chuckb
so what happened?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OMaZmR4PIk (hopefully not! This just happened in the SE yesterday)
Old 06-14-07, 09:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

^^ heh. I remember that. sucks that it happens, but that's why you get for not inspecting the car before running off (no pun intended)
Old 06-14-07, 09:26 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thats insane carlos mencia comes to mind, so in the words of mencia "de de de"
Old 06-15-07, 08:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I couldn't go as the studs I ordered did not arrive in time. No biggie. Another one is scheduled in July which I will go to for sure.

On another note Desmond (the Lexus master tech that works on my car) recommended that I don't swap out the OEM brake fluid for the ATE SuperBlue because even though the ATE is synthetic and has a higher boiling point than the OEM fluid, it tends to absorb moisture faster and would cause problems for me when I am not on the track over time as I don't drive my car a lot and it sits for the whole week. It only gets driven on weekends.

He said the best compromise is to leave the OEM fluid in (as it does not absorb moisture as fast as synthetic fluid) and does not cause problems for street driving. It would mean more brake fade at the track, but that was a better evil of the two. Comments anyone?

Anyway, I got all the other maintenance work done - Timing belt, rad flush, 100% synthetic Amsoil 5W30 oil change etc.

I just need to install the ARP studs and I will be ready for the next track day.
Old 06-15-07, 08:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Hameed
On another note Desmond (the Lexus master tech that works on my car) recommended that I don't swap out the OEM brake fluid for the ATE SuperBlue because even though the ATE is synthetic and has a higher boiling point than the OEM fluid, it tends to absorb moisture faster and would cause problems for me when I am not on the track over time as I don't drive my car a lot and it sits for the whole week. It only gets driven on weekends.
My experience.... I run it with no issues whatsoever... and I guarantee my GS sits more than yours. Same thing with Krista's track cars - not regularly driven but they use it with 0 problems.
Old 06-15-07, 08:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My experience.... I run it with no issues whatsoever... and I guarantee my GS sits more than yours. Same thing with Krista's track cars - not regularly driven but they use it with 0 problems.
Ok good to know that. I will do the swap then before the next track day.