GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 10:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?

Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?

I may take my car to the track next weekend (Dunville Autodrome in Hamilton, Ontario) and was wondering if there is anything in particular I need to do before going there.

Let's hear your stories, track veterans!

The Dunville Circuit is one of the safest tracks you can learn on. It's not very fast (save for the around 1/4 mile back straight) and very technical. It's also very fun and you'll spend the whole day mastering your line, and there are some pretty good photo ops.

http://my.is/forums/f122/june-9th-4t...8-00pm-330960/
Old 05-29-07, 11:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric & Mike tracked their cars recently..https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...klex+track+day

I believe you will need stronger wheel studs (from ARP) as the stock studs tend to snap like twigs. Video tape your run Hameed. I want to hear that exhaust in action as you burn rubber
Old 05-29-07, 12:46 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I am thinking of going to the track for the first time ever in about a month. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I have chrome 20's on my car, do you guys recommend tracking my car with the rims or does it not make a difference?
Old 05-29-07, 12:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Eric & Mike tracked their cars recently..https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...klex+track+day

I believe you will need stronger wheel studs (from ARP) as the stock studs tend to snap like twigs. Video tape your run Hameed. I want to hear that exhaust in action as you burn rubber
Thanks bro!

Where can I get these ARP studs real quick?

I have to talk my wife into coming out, otherwise there is no way I will be able to tape the run. Car sounds even better since I swapped out the L-tuned muffler for Magnaflows!
Old 05-29-07, 12:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Thanks bro!

Where can I get these ARP studs real quick?

I have to talk my wife into coming out, otherwise there is no way I will be able to tape the run. Car sounds even better since I swapped out the L-tuned muffler for Magnaflows!
Set up a tripod to tape the run the lol.. You can get the ARP studs from Summit Racing.. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...00117&D=300117
Old 05-29-07, 12:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I need to find a track to race on. Anyone know where there's one around Texas...preferrably around the DFW area. A 50-100 mile drive is ok, but nothing too far away. The most I've done is an autocross event in a really big parking lot lol.
Old 05-29-07, 12:56 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Set up a tripod to tape the run the lol.. You can get the ARP studs from Summit Racing.. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...00117&D=300117
Thanks for the link! I just looked at the page and I have no idea which ones will work on the GS. There are so many different ones there.

Anybody know?
Old 05-29-07, 01:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the link! I just looked at the page and I have no idea which ones will work on the GS. There are so many different ones there.

Anybody know?
Oh sorry Hameed.. you will need to order the 12x1.5 studs.. That is stock size.
Old 05-29-07, 01:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Anybody know?
There's really no specific one. Just find the studs with the correct bore and length you need for the car. I was looking to order some last time and I think the ones I matched up to work were listed for a Honda or something.
Old 05-29-07, 01:25 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Oh sorry Hameed.. you will need to order the 12x1.5 studs.. That is stock size.
There are so many of those with different part numbers - I wonder what's the difference....

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
There's really no specific one. Just find the studs with the correct bore and length you need for the car. I was looking to order some last time and I think the ones I matched up to work were listed for a Honda or something.
How did you match them up with the correct bore and length you needed? Did you have to take yours off your car and figure that out by yourself?
Old 05-29-07, 01:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Make sure your brakes have a fresh flush and use high temp synthetic fluid like ATE Superblue. I would also add a bottle of Redline water wetter to your radiator (when cool of course).

Tape up the front of your car and lights - there is lots of debris on the road course that gets kicked up. Bring the tape with you - you'll likely need to put numbers on your car for the event.

Take some sort of tire inflator with you as you'll be changing the pressure of your tires up/down all day.

Ask about a helmet - you will likely need one and if you plan to rent don't let it sneak up on you.

I've asked Krista to read this thread and chip in.... I'm just the track photographer and pit crew (aka napper).
Old 05-29-07, 01:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

There are so many of those with different part numbers - I wonder what's the difference....
Order these lexus specific studs http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

These will fit perfectly on a non spacer setup.
Old 05-29-07, 02:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Make sure your brakes have a fresh flush and use high temp synthetic fluid like ATE Superblue. I would also add a bottle of Redline water wetter to your radiator (when cool of course).

Tape up the front of your car and lights - there is lots of debris on the road course that gets kicked up. Bring the tape with you - you'll likely need to put numbers on your car for the event.

Take some sort of tire inflator with you as you'll be changing the pressure of your tires up/down all day.

Ask about a helmet - you will likely need one and if you plan to rent don't let it sneak up on you.

I've asked Krista to read this thread and chip in.... I'm just the track photographer and pit crew (aka napper).
Thanks Dave! Great tips and info!
Old 05-29-07, 02:01 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Order these lexus specific studs http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

These will fit perfectly on a non spacer setup.
Here is a stupid question . I guess I need to order 4 sets of these sets of 5 studs?
Old 05-29-07, 02:13 PM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed - that track looks to be a lot of fun. Ask around - someone in the area might have a brace (between headrests) on which to mount a video camera that you could borrow.

Good tips on car prep - bleed the brakes & replace fluid with ATE super blue, sounds like stronger studs would be a good idea, and also check to make sure that your brake pads have plenty of life in them. With a heavy car and short straights on the track, you are sure to put them to the test. I don't know Lexus pads so don't have something in mind for recommendations but someone here should chime in.

Only other thing that I have to add is a CG Lock; lots of places sell 'em all at the same price but bought my last set here for the free shipping http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=245. I used it in my Porsche to hold me in place before moving to 5 point harnesses. It's a far better solution than the old tighten the belt and move the seat forward trick. It also works really well on the Dragon!

Quick Reply: Taken your GS to the track? Got any tips to share?