GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my car doesn't pull off the line...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 08:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by go4dabukz
How do I clean the throttle body and MAF?
You have to take out the throttle body assembly to thoroughly clean the front and back of the throttle plate.

As for the MAF, get yourself a can of CRC Mass Air Sensor cleaner. Should be about $3-4. Gently spray it in the MAF opening and it'll self dry (evaporates quickly). The MAF itself is located on top of the OEM airbox. It's the small module with a connector on top of it. You can't miss it
Old 06-03-07, 08:12 PM
go4dabukz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=throttle+body

I'll have to read thiss thread in the morning, but seems like half way down the first page, it starts with some advice that might work.

Last edited by go4dabukz; 06-04-07 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-03-07, 08:16 PM
gobears
Pole Position

Here is DIY for throttle body cleaning from archive...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+throttle+body

(1) Take off the engine cover. There are 2 10mm bolts and 2 10mm bolt caps holding it in place.

(2) Once the engine cover is off, you need to take off the black box immediately to the left of the engine (as you're looking at it). The air intake tube coming out of the filter box and going into the throttle body is attached to and a part of this black box. First, take a screwdriver and loosen the clamps holding the air intake to the filter box and to the throttle body. Second, remove the 2 bolts that are holding the black box to the engine (one is in the back and the other is on the left side). Third, remove the 3 vacuum tubes that are attached to the black box. The vacuum tubes are attached to the box with pressure clips. Just squeeze the clips and pull off the rubber tubes. Lastly, remove the air intake tube from both the filter box and the throttle body. The air intake tube is accordian-like where it attaches to the filter box, so it comes off pretty easily. I had to apply a little force to remove the air intake tube from the throttle body.

(3) Take your can of throttle body cleaner, spray it on a rag, and wipe away. I also used a toothbrush to scrape away some of the gunk (per Gunru-GS4's suggestion). In fact, the toothbrush came in handy because I was able to wedge it into the throttle body to hold the butterfly cover open while I was cleaning. Some people say you're not supposed to spray throttle body cleaner directly into the TB, but my tech told me it was not a problem to do that. The only part you really need to clean is the butterfly cover and the part of the TB in front of it (towards the front of the car).

(4) Once clean, put everything back together in reverse order.

Last edited by gobears; 06-03-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 07:56 AM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by gobears
Here is DIY for throttle body cleaning from archive...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+throttle+body

(1) Take off the engine cover. There are 2 10mm bolts and 2 10mm bolt caps holding it in place.

(2) Once the engine cover is off, you need to take off the black box immediately to the left of the engine (as you're looking at it). The air intake tube coming out of the filter box and going into the throttle body is attached to and a part of this black box. First, take a screwdriver and loosen the clamps holding the air intake to the filter box and to the throttle body. Second, remove the 2 bolts that are holding the black box to the engine (one is in the back and the other is on the left side). Third, remove the 3 vacuum tubes that are attached to the black box. The vacuum tubes are attached to the box with pressure clips. Just squeeze the clips and pull off the rubber tubes. Lastly, remove the air intake tube from both the filter box and the throttle body. The air intake tube is accordian-like where it attaches to the filter box, so it comes off pretty easily. I had to apply a little force to remove the air intake tube from the throttle body.

(3) Take your can of throttle body cleaner, spray it on a rag, and wipe away. I also used a toothbrush to scrape away some of the gunk (per Gunru-GS4's suggestion). In fact, the toothbrush came in handy because I was able to wedge it into the throttle body to hold the butterfly cover open while I was cleaning. Some people say you're not supposed to spray throttle body cleaner directly into the TB, but my tech told me it was not a problem to do that. The only part you really need to clean is the butterfly cover and the part of the TB in front of it (towards the front of the car).

(4) Once clean, put everything back together in reverse order.
Thank you gobears
Old 06-04-07, 09:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When was the last time you changed your diff fluid OP?
Old 06-04-07, 09:43 AM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
When was the last time you changed your diff fluid OP?
I don't know that it's ever been changed. Like I said, I just bought the car. What does the "OP" part of your question stand for?
Old 06-04-07, 09:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know that it's ever been changed. Like I said, I just bought the car. What does the "OP" part of your question stand for?
OP= Original poster(you). Change the diff fluid. It is probably black gunky tar by now.. Possible reason you are not getting any wheelspin.
Old 06-04-07, 12:52 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most people want traction when leaving from a stop...
Old 06-04-07, 12:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I agree, which is why i'm not really mad at my car. As long as it doesn't bog down after a launch, and my car gets up to speed the way it should, then I rather have traction than spinning my tires
Old 06-04-07, 12:55 PM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by CDW91
Most people want traction when leaving from a stop...
Not if they turn the VSC off! Traction control is good on wet pavement or when you're putting down serious power. With the power we're making it's not needed from a stop in a straight line.
Old 06-04-07, 06:58 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines don't spin either, i figure it's the 20inch chrome rims in the back, but i can do donuts.
Old 06-04-07, 07:38 PM
go4dabukz
Driver

Like I said, I'm looking to clean up the MAS and throttle body. When I blip the throttle, I get no response. I have to push the pedal about 2/3 the way down before it registers. I'm hoping that the above cleanings take care of it.
Old 06-04-07, 07:39 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you gobears
Ahem.
Old 06-04-07, 08:34 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i can't spin my tires either. i have 19x9.5's w. 275 series tires in the rear lol when i had my stockies on i had no traction through 3rd lol

so is something wrong with my car or... is it just the wheels?
Old 06-04-07, 08:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You cant spin the tires, even with a supercharger? Our TC stall is too low. Nothing really exciting with the OEM TC

Quick Reply: my car doesn't pull off the line...