GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my car doesn't pull off the line...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 08:41 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There I justed help you smoke them
Old 06-04-07, 08:44 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i can if i like whip it around lol but just launching straight, i can't. then again, i have a lot of performance mod's to still do ^_^
Old 06-05-07, 05:28 AM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by CDW91
Most people want traction when leaving from a stop...
In the end, it's not so much that I want to loose traction as much as it is that I want to be able to jump off the line. I don't have that response that I want. I'll post my thoughts after I clean it up.
Old 06-05-07, 05:52 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a GS400 also and can't spin 'em either...even when I have my stock 16's and I have a K & N intake, Borla exhaust and TM plugs)! I was never able to spin the rears and my car also feels sluggish off the line...almost like turbo lag but without the end result of a turbo kicking in. What GSteg said was interesting about the diff fluid. I still have my OEM diff in there (not for long) and I know the diff hasn't been changed for AT LEAST 4 years because that's about how long I've owned it; maybe the diff fluid could be the big culprit or part of it.

BTW, I already cleaned the TB, cleaned air filter, re-set ECU, replaced pugs, had a fuel injector service and later added fuel injector cleaner myself; I think I got everything. Still no dice. I'm the type of person that I want my car to be working in top performing shape BEFORE I add any performance mods so my stock baseline #'s will be higher and therefore get more power out of the future mods. Some members here might just be disappointed about the stock performance of their cars, not really look into it and wind up just throwing FI or other mods on. End result...car is definitely quicker but would have definitely been even quicker if the car was straightened out before hand. By adding mods, it will then be that much harder to assess where your problems might be coming from.
Old 06-05-07, 05:56 AM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I have a GS400 also and can't spin 'em either...even when I have my stock 16's and I have a K & N intake, Borla exhaust and TM plugs)! I was never able to spin the rears and my car also feels sluggish off the line...almost like turbo lag but without the end result of a turbo kicking in. What GSteg said was interesting about the diff fluid. I still have my OEM diff in there (not for long) and I know the diff hasn't been changed for AT LEAST 4 years because that's about how long I've owned it; maybe the diff fluid could be the big culprit or part of it.

BTW, I already cleaned the TB, cleaned air filter, re-set ECU, replaced pugs, had a fuel injector service and later added fuel injector cleaner myself; I think I got everything. Still no dice. I'm the type of person that I want my car to be working in top performing shape BEFORE I add any performance mods so my stock baseline #'s will be higher and therefore get more power out of the future mods. Some members here might just be disappointed about the stock performance of their cars, not really look into it and wind up just throwing FI or other mods on. End result...car is definitely quicker but would have definitely been even quicker if the car was straightened out before hand. By adding mods, it will then be that much harder to assess where your problems might be coming from.
Great response. That "turbo lag" feeling is exactly what I've got. I hope I get something out of the clean-ups. Let us know what happens from the diff fluid change. Beautiful car btw.

So, again, is it a good idea or not to flush high mileage transmissons (150k) and is there a difference between a flush and a fluid changs. This would be in addition to the diff fluid change. Is that a good idea either?
Old 06-05-07, 05:56 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a GS400 also and can't spin 'em either...
thats really odd. I have a GS400 and I can at least chirp the wheels even with VSC on (I always keep it on, unless I have to) if I mash the gas. I just changed my tranny/LSD fluids too but then again, I have a TRD oilcap, that at least adds like 17hp.
Old 06-05-07, 05:59 AM
go4dabukz
Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I just changed my tranny/LSD fluids
When you say "LSD" are you refering to your OEM system or is this aftermarket?
Old 06-05-07, 06:30 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by go4dabukz
When you say "LSD" are you refering to your OEM system or is this aftermarket?
OEM viscous (i believe, I don't think the USDM ones came with mechanical) LSD.
Old 06-05-07, 09:14 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a how-to for changing the differential fluid?
Old 06-05-07, 09:17 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Never mind. I found it. It was originally posted by GSTeg. Thanks, man.

I let my friend borrow my camera, but the DIY change is even easier than a regular oil change. It's really easy. When you're under the car, take a look at the passenger side of the differential. There should be two star/hex bolt. I dont remember the exact combination, but there should be a lower and an upper bolt.

Tools Needed:
- (2) quarts of fluid, but you'll probably end up using 1.5 quarts

-Hex/star key. You'll need a somewhat big one so make sure yours fit before you start. I had to run out to my local autopart store to buy the key.

- Any type of pump where you can draw fluid and then inject the fluid. A siphon pump will not work (I tried, very messy result). Turkey Baster works perfectly fine!

- gloves

Basic Steps:
- Jack up the car
- Unbolt the lower bolt, which the differential fluid will drain down from
- Tighten the bolt back up
- Unbolt the upper bolt, which the differential fluid may be filled in.
- Take your pump and fill it up with differential fluid. Pump the fluid into the upper bolt.
- You'll know that you've put enough once the fluid starts to leak out of the upper bolt, and when it does, tighten the upper bolt.
- Lower the car
- Wash your hands
- Take a test drive
- Report back here

Warning: Gloves will come in handy. Differential fluid is probably the worse smelling fluid that goes into our car. Take a sniff and you'll know why .Having one of those orange hand cleaner will come in handy.
Old 06-05-07, 09:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

And as someone else mentioned in the other thread, take off the fill plug before taking out the drain plug. Incase you're not able to take off the fill plug, you can always leave it there instead of having no differential fluid at all.
Old 06-05-07, 09:41 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
And as someone else mentioned in the other thread, take off the fill plug before taking out the drain plug. Incase you're not able to take off the fill plug, you can always leave it there instead of having no differential fluid at all.
Thanks for the how-to. Where did you buy your diff. fluid from?
Old 06-05-07, 09:45 PM
gobears
Pole Position

You can use amsoil or what about redline?

You can buy MOBIL 1 gear oil from local autozone or Kragen.
Old 06-05-07, 09:45 PM
gobears
Pole Position

Rock-A-Lex -- How many miles on your GS?
Old 06-05-07, 09:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
Thanks for the how-to. Where did you buy your diff. fluid from?
I have local autopart store that sells it. your local store should have Mobil gear oil in stock. Amsoil and redline can be purchased online. The difference between them all in performance is neglible.

Quick Reply: my car doesn't pull off the line...