GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 10:34 PM
dmd85059
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Problem

I just noticed 3 days ago that my AC wasn't as cold. I first thought it was just a hot day as usual in Texas. However, the second day came around and my AC system started to act weird with the driver side was blowing cool air and the passenger side was blowing somewhat hotter air. Then on the third day, my AC was almost dead as both sides were now only blowing hot air. Now, today, I hear a hissing sound coming from inside the dashboard but the air is blowing kinda cooler than yesterday, not hot, but not cold either. I have checked for leak using a leak using a leak detector but couldn't find any leak. The compressor is still running and the system still has a good amount of pressure. I thought if it died that quick, there had to be a major leak somewhere or the compressor must have been dead; however, it looks like both are not the case here. I've done some searching on the web and some people have mentioned something about AC sensors that Lexus uses to control the cold air in relative to the surrounding temp. Could someone who has run into this problem before please shed some light and englighten me? What's exact name of these sensors and where are they located in my car (2001 GS300) ? Thank you very much in advance!
Old 06-05-07, 07:34 AM
dmd85059
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought the car into the dealer and paid them $118 for diag. It turned out all I got was the most expensive carwash ever! They gave me a list of things that they'll replace, which basically the entire AC system and a total of almost $5,000. Worse, when I brought my car in, my compressor was running and there was freon in the system. When I took it out, my compressor was not running and there was absolutely no freon left. They stole my freon with their recycle machine! Pissed of, I ran to Autozone bought 2 cans of freon, charged the system and it's cold now. So, it wasn't the HVAC sensors as I thought. So, what was the problem? I finally found out that my leak detector wasn't working. That's why I thought my car had no leak. I fixed it and found a major leak in the evaporator unit. I'll get this fixed this weekend and will post pictures of the entire process. Things on order are: evaporator, expansion valve.

Symtoms:
I first noticed a stink odor in the vents when I turn on the AC; that odor wasn't there before. Then the passender side started to blow hotter air than the driver's side. At first I thought the HVAC sensors were at fault and I could careless as long as the driver's side is still cold (this is weird by the way). Then it gradually got hotter on both sides and eventually just quit with both sides being hot. The weird thing was that the compressor was still running and there was still freon in the system. This confused me a bit, though. Usually, when your AC systems only blows out hot air, the compressor would quit working due to low level of freon. I did check the system pressure and saw 23psi/low and 170psi/high with 97F surrounding temp (if I remember correctly, and I thought they were good numbers, these are not good numbers, though. Your car will be hot, yet, the compressor would still be running).

I'll purchase the evaporator unit and the expansion valve after work today. I'm cheap so I'm not replacing the condensor/dryer unit (I can't find where this thing is located by the way)....Updates later!

Last edited by dmd85059; 06-05-07 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-05-07, 07:56 AM
gsproject
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you going to purchaces these parts and how much?
Keep us updated and good luck!
Old 06-26-07, 11:05 PM
conandotdj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, my AC wasn't blowing out cold air as usual. And then come the unusual hissing noise. Please keep me/us posted.
Old 07-09-07, 10:31 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...20#post2683620
Old 07-09-07, 05:05 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having same problems, a.c blowing hot air /i took my car to lexus 3 weeks ago for them to fix my heater core / they said they had to charge my a.c / some my question is that since it is under warranty should they fix it since they had to remove my whole dash and evap .