GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

is it easy to steal the 2gs ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 01:32 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Yea, it takes about as much effort as having a "friend" at the dealer. Pull the vin off the car which is easily visible through the windshield, go to your contact and have a key cut. Walk up to the car, insert key, get in, drive away. Pretty dificult.
Call Lexus and see how 'easy' it is for someone to get a key cut without having a trace of it in the system. I may be wrong but we tried this route when one of our NELOC members had his car stolen so if there is a Lexus tech here who says it's easy, then so be it. But going on the local dealerships we questioned, it's not likely.
Old 06-05-07, 04:14 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Yea, it takes about as much effort as having a "friend" at the dealer. Pull the vin off the car which is easily visible through the windshield, go to your contact and have a key cut. Walk up to the car, insert key, get in, drive away. Pretty dificult.
Your valet key will start the car, it doesnt have to be the full on master key.

For those who claim there is "no market"

Guess you havent seen the prices wheels, shift *****, air bags, steering wheels, ac compressor, suspension, seats, brakes, electronics, etc...sells for. Anyone that is in the theft buisness isn't going to be worried about your $50 fusa to sell on ebay, they are going to want stuff they can sell to body shops/rebuilders etc....

I'm not saying the Gs is a prime target because it isn't like a Camry or a Honda which have millions on the road, but...it seems as some people have a false sense of security just because it's a Lexus. The fact that the cars are coming down in price will probably make the problem worse. Younger, less "reputable" people will be able to afford the car that was once out of reach. There will be younger people driving the car which means more people looking for "cheap" parts. Just remember guys, as much as I like my Lexus, Lexus = Glorified Toyota
why can't people understand it can happend. atleast it does in the city where people are willing to do anything just to get ahead of the next person.
Old 06-05-07, 06:50 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All we can do is to at least try to make it hard for theives whether they be petty or pro's. I shelled out the money to have one of the better alarm systems from Viper installed. Keeping valuable items in your car out of plain view helps cuz if they don't steal the car, then they'll steal something from it. To this day, people leave stuff in clear view waiting for someone to break the window and take. Another thing too, a friend of mine woke up to find out that someone broke into her Escalade and stole the driver and passenger headrests that had screens on them. Of course she had an alarm on her ride but the thieves broke into the truck through the sunroof. The alarm only tripped when they left through the doors. The biggest fear I had was having my car stolen by theives using a tow truck.
Old 06-05-07, 07:18 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bluelex
Dude I was going to say the same thing...LOL

Only way they are taking a GS is with a tow truck or with a key. The most common mistake I have heard through the years is that people forget that their is a valet key under the dash, Most theives know this and go looking for it, if its not there they just grab what they can.
was actually going to brooklyn, and i have to park my car on the streets, so i was wondering if i should drive it there or rent a car. but will drive it there , i got full coverage. so that will benice 15,000 check if anything.
Old 06-05-07, 07:27 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

okay i got my answer , i just wanted to know if someone can pully the gs , taking the ignition out, but i see they will have to go through alot of hassle to do it. i had a club on my steering wheel on my maxima , and they cut the steering wheel and took the club off, someone mention viper alarm what is the difference between the factory and viper. what's the point if they need a master key?
Old 06-05-07, 08:20 PM
JoeySupra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like your car has wheels, So i would be more worried about someone just stealing your wheels than your entire car.
Old 06-06-07, 12:03 PM
Dr. VIP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySupra
It looks like your car has wheels, So i would be more worried about someone just stealing your wheels than your entire car.
I would agree. Your wheels are much easier to take than a car. And its not grand theft (unless your running $5000 wheels). I would suggest special lug nuts like kyogen or work lug nuts. Again if someone really wants them, its not that hard to get the right socket. If they can ID your lugs as being work or kyogen then $80 for a set of lugs that come with the socket is all it takes. Do what you can to keep your car and its accessories safe. But don't go nuts (no pun intended)
Old 06-06-07, 12:06 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most haters will just key it and walk away just for the hell of it....... like they did to my pearl white and its not easy to repaint pearl and match it perfect.
Old 06-06-07, 03:29 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr. VIP
I would agree. Your wheels are much easier to take than a car. And its not grand theft (unless your running $5000 wheels). I would suggest special lug nuts like kyogen or work lug nuts. Again if someone really wants them, its not that hard to get the right socket. If they can ID your lugs as being work or kyogen then $80 for a set of lugs that come with the socket is all it takes. Do what you can to keep your car and its accessories safe. But don't go nuts (no pun intended)

i have 4 different types of lug nuts on my rims, so the thief will have to get 4 different keys