GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

is it easy to steal the 2gs ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 07:16 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it easy to steal the 2gs ?

the other thread we were talking about stolen civis and hondas, but is it more harder to steal our cars besides using a tow truck. can the 2gs get pullyed or override by another master key. i know people that had master keys for toyota camrys were able to start it. even opening th door, can someone pully that too.
Old 06-04-07, 07:44 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

from what I know about the lexus ecu and master keys is that if the ecu is not programmed to accept that key from an original master key you are out of luck. That is what happens when people who lose their key they have to go get a new ecu or reflash their old one.
Old 06-04-07, 07:51 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's pros that want it and there's a market for it, consider it gone. Petty theives will just vandalize it and probably not get anywhere.
Old 06-04-07, 08:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you planing something

LOL........
Old 06-04-07, 08:20 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Are you planing something

LOL........

Dude I was going to say the same thing...LOL

Only way they are taking a GS is with a tow truck or with a key. The most common mistake I have heard through the years is that people forget that their is a valet key under the dash, Most theives know this and go looking for it, if its not there they just grab what they can.
Old 06-04-07, 10:32 PM
Vertex GS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bluelex

Only way they are taking a GS is with a tow truck or with a key. The most common mistake I have heard through the years is that people forget that their is a valet key under the dash, Most theives know this and go looking for it, if its not there they just grab what they can.
there is a valet key under the dash? where is this so i know to take it out
Old 06-05-07, 12:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, it's not really a valet key. It's like an emergency card key. It's comes from the dealer packed in the owners manual holder. Most people just leave the manual in the glove and never know it's in there. I used to always leave those in the car, but now I leave them at home.

As for other "high tech" thieves. Another method that is getting "popular" is ecu swapping. The theif swaps your ecu with one of theirs that is "hacked" and it will start the car and allow them to drive away. Good thing I'm going to use a standalone aftermarket ecu for my car eventually. I'd like to see the look on their face when they pop the cover off the ecu box and be like...WTF?

There are also other high tech techniques, but it's way out of the range of a "normal" carjacker...more along the lines of a pro hacker lol. Also, not to disgrace the 2GS or anything, but the car is getting a bit old and values are dropping. Thus our cars aren't gonna be such a high profile target for thieves compared to the newewst luxury cars out there(which is a good thing ). $60k vs $10-20k car...do the math for the payoff. Most likely your car will be safe from theifs unless it's heavily modded out. If it's stock, just leave your valuables out of sight and you shouldn't ever have a problem. Just don't park in the hood or somewhere that people will smash up the car due to jealousy.

One final note, the parts demand for Lexus cars are relatively low. The engines last almost forever and the owners usually have the money to pay a shop or dealer to fix the car with brand new parts. Hondas are more commonly jacked because there is a market out there for used body panels and other replacement parts. Most Lexus owners just pay straight up for a brand new factory replacement piece.
Old 06-05-07, 12:44 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex

On my mercedes it has a sensor that set's off the alarm if the car gets jacked up or towed. You have to push the button with the alarm off to make it disarm.
Old 06-05-07, 10:08 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, it's not really a valet key. It's like an emergency card key. It's comes from the dealer packed in the owners manual holder. Most people just leave the manual in the glove and never know it's in there. I used to always leave those in the car, but now I leave them at home.
On my 1998 the key card is strictly a key and can't start the car without one of the master keys nearby, it's really only good for unlocking your car when you lock your keys in it.

I do know on newer Lexus's that the "card", the part the key rests in while in your wallet, has a chip to allow the car to be started with that key.

I've been wondering if I purchased a "card" for a newer Lexus and had it programmed to my 1998, if it would work.
Old 06-05-07, 10:20 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew about the emergency card in our cars. Does anyone have a picture they can post of it? And is it located under the steering wheel or in the owner's manual? We're getting conflicting replies.

Thank you, Chris
Old 06-05-07, 11:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Easy for a crackhead to steal? No..
Easy for a professional thief to steal? yes. The 2nd gen GS and many other makes and models use Keyloc transponder technology which can be defeated. There is an article I posted somewhere on the forum about it.
Old 06-05-07, 12:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Keeloq techology (not keyloc) Here is one article I posted back in the day.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/29/na...OkqfouzQ0ufbog
Old 06-05-07, 12:25 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

"Easy for a crackhead to steal? No..
Easy for a professional thief to steal? yes."
Ditto. Where there is a will, there is a way. If someone really wants your car, they'll take it. It's too bad that some people don't believe in working for their possesions.
Old 06-05-07, 12:48 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Methodical
"Easy for a crackhead to steal? No..
Easy for a professional thief to steal? yes."
Ditto. Where there is a will, there is a way. If someone really wants your car, they'll take it. It's too bad that some people don't believe in working for their possesions.

I don't think the original question was meant as 'our cars are impossible to steal.'

Can the 2nd Gen be stolen, yes. Can someone walk off the street and pop the steering column and drive away, no. Stealing a 2nd Gen GS takes a little bit of effort and some time (which to a thief is not a good thing). And as stated earlier, it's just not worth the hassle anymore (unless you're heavily modded).

As a Lexus owner we would have the most to gain and ask yourself, "what do I need from a stock GS right now"? For the majority of us the list just isn't that long as we'd want new or aftermarket.
Old 06-05-07, 01:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, it takes about as much effort as having a "friend" at the dealer. Pull the vin off the car which is easily visible through the windshield, go to your contact and have a key cut. Walk up to the car, insert key, get in, drive away. Pretty dificult.
Your valet key will start the car, it doesnt have to be the full on master key.

For those who claim there is "no market"

Guess you havent seen the prices wheels, shift *****, air bags, steering wheels, ac compressor, suspension, seats, brakes, electronics, etc...sells for. Anyone that is in the theft buisness isn't going to be worried about your $50 fusa to sell on ebay, they are going to want stuff they can sell to body shops/rebuilders etc....

I'm not saying the Gs is a prime target because it isn't like a Camry or a Honda which have millions on the road, but...it seems as some people have a false sense of security just because it's a Lexus. The fact that the cars are coming down in price will probably make the problem worse. Younger, less "reputable" people will be able to afford the car that was once out of reach. There will be younger people driving the car which means more people looking for "cheap" parts. Just remember guys, as much as I like my Lexus, Lexus = Glorified Toyota

Last edited by macd7919; 06-05-07 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: is it easy to steal the 2gs ?