GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: Fuel System Upgrade *Fuel Return Line*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 11:59 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to turbo my other car pretty soon so I'll have a more detailed writeup on this soon. Anyways, macd7919 is right. The new walbro pump comes with a new filter sock, however the car also has an in tank fuel filter. It's a massive thing that's supposed to last almost forever. The sock is just to keep the big chunks of stuff out, the actual in tank filter keeps the small particles from going into the fuel injectors and clogging them. I had to remove my in tank filter because I run dual fuel pumps and there was no room to keep the in tank filter. So in my case I have to run twin external fuel filters.
Old 04-25-09, 04:10 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill take photos of what i mean anyways already built a pick up with return only problem now is the fuel level sensor/float looking into after market one ill have photos up today
Old 04-25-09, 04:32 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

how the hell do i put photos on here says enter your url i am a car nut not a computer nerd please help i have tons of photos that will help everyone from all my projects i would like to do a right up for people on uas bags install and alot more someone help me please
Old 04-26-09, 08:42 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

thanks jeff i built a new pick up for mine and use the stock sensor i would post pics but not sure how to yet i was thinking of running a external pump instead of the internal so i can run a bigger pump then run a 1/2 inch feed line because are stock one is pretty small i have to build another pickup for that i love having a welder and plasma cutter it comes in handy sometimes
Old 04-26-09, 08:44 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

i almost forgot why are you using two pumps one not enough getting me thinking i should of went with a big external pump
Old 04-27-09, 02:56 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question about running fuel return lines from gas tank to the regulator under the car like that is'nt it dangerous? What "if" something get cought under and breaks the line due to high impact. Is there a better alternative way of runing the line? Just my .02 cent.
Old 04-27-09, 09:10 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tom steele
i almost forgot why are you using two pumps one not enough getting me thinking i should of went with a big external pump
It's because I run a big turbo lol. A single walbro pump can only support around 450-500rwhp. I need 2 to keep up with the fuel demand.

If you want, send the pix to me and I can arrange them and post it up. Send me a PM and I'll give you my email.

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Question about running fuel return lines from gas tank to the regulator under the car like that is'nt it dangerous? What "if" something get cought under and breaks the line due to high impact. Is there a better alternative way of runing the line? Just my .02 cent.
That's how the factory fuel lines are run as well. It's not really a problem because the lines are tucked above the frame rail. If you're at the point of damaing the fuel line then it's probably because you're trying to jump a ramp with your car or something
Old 04-27-09, 10:09 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
That's how the factory fuel lines are run as well. It's not really a problem because the lines are tucked above the frame rail. If you're at the point of damaing the fuel line then it's probably because you're trying to jump a ramp with your car or something
I see. That is pretty disapointing to hear. Got to go easy on those ramps than. Lol
Old 04-27-09, 10:31 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

use rubber fuel hose for return line. there isn't much pressure going through it, plus you dont' have to worry about sagging issues as much as SS braided lines.
Old 04-28-09, 11:41 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

i used the stock line for return and used 3/8 hard line for a new feed line here is a link to the pickup i made for my car still have to put the pic of how i mounted the fuel level sensor to it[IMG]s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv122/lexusaddict/[/IMG]
Old 04-28-09, 11:44 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

sorry almost forgot the hard line is cheaper only reason i used it instead steel braided also removed stock fuel filter and running external for better flow will take pics when complete still waiting on parts from jegs few fittings
Old 05-04-09, 10:03 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

hey jeff i have a question what did you do with the stock fuel pressure regulator in the tank and the hose going to it looks like it goes to the front to a sensor and here is a pic of the pick up i made
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fuel System Upgrade *Fuel Return Line*-homemade-pick-up.jpg  
Old 05-05-09, 12:33 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 things to really note about doing the upgraded fuel system/return line.

1. make sure that you are using a submersible fuel line when attaching the fuel pump to the hangar. Other lines will eventually disintegrate and the fuel line will burst. (This is the line in the fuel tank)

2. Some people make their own hangar out of the stock setup. It can be done but is prone to cracking since the lid is plastic. I prefer a solid metal/aluminum piece. Powerhouse racing makes one. I know they have it for the IS300, but this will fit the GS. (I have it installed with no mods needed except if you are running 2 fuel pumps, which I am, then you need an additional bulkhead for the return line.)

3. You will need to reconnect the siphon tube and the jet valve so that you can get the fuel from the opposite side of the tank. If not you will only be getting about 3/4 of the total fuel in the tank before the pumps run dry.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fuel System Upgrade *Fuel Return Line*-is300fpb2.jpg  
Old 05-05-09, 03:15 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

thanks that answers my question it the siphon tube and i mad mine out of stainless steel
Old 05-05-09, 03:37 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

399 though and it looks to be the same size although they don't list specs cost me 20 dollars in materials and some work and i can make any configuration you need i am just wanted to see how the hook up that vacum line for the tank ill figure it out if they did i can

Quick Reply: DIY: Fuel System Upgrade *Fuel Return Line*