GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is 165,000 too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 10:00 PM
Daynja
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 165,000 too many miles?

As some of you know i've been trying to find a GS for a couple months now. 2 things are making my search difficult.

1. I'm not gonna trade in my current car so i'm only working with about 10.5K

2. I only want black/black. And no spoiler or mods of any kind.

Well anyway I found one today and it's perfect! the leather seems to be in great shape(from the pics). The outside is dent and scratch free. The only problem is it has 165,000 miles!!! I knew I would have to get one with high miles but is this a little extreme? It says it has had a recent tune-up and has a new water pump and timing belt. They're asking for 9,600. What do you guys think?
Old 06-08-07, 10:03 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

165000 miles is nothing and as long as it has been maintenced. From what i heard timing belt and water pump are most likely to wear out first but since they have been replaced it should be trouble free :thumbup
Old 06-08-07, 10:12 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-08-07, 10:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

For a Lexus, life starts at 100k.
Old 06-08-07, 10:52 PM
Daynja
Pole Position

I'm more worried about life ending than beginning!!! lol
Old 06-08-07, 11:57 PM
gobears
Pole Position

Make sure you test drive as many GS possible. 100K, 70K, and 200K, 150K.

I test drove a few, and you can tell right away if the car has been taken care of or not.

The problem of buying high mileage car is that the resell value is pretty much nothing. You have to keep it forever.... You will have a very hard time reselling if you ever change your mind after a couple of years.
Old 06-09-07, 06:42 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Of course its up to you but like they said above as long as the maintenance is done i don't think you wont have a problem.. I maybe would offer like 8k for it and explain to the seller that the mileage is high etc.. Or i would hold out a little longer and keep searching.. I know how it feels to be excited and impatient at the same time.. GL..

TF
Old 06-09-07, 07:02 AM
TonY_G
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Of course its up to you but like they said above as long as the maintenance is done i don't think you wont have a problem.. I maybe would offer like 8k for it and explain to the seller that the mileage is high etc.. Or i would hold out a little longer and keep searching.. I know how it feels to be excited and impatient at the same time.. GL..

TF

Honestly, the car has maybe 1-2 years left in it at most, but u never know man, when u buy an old car u gotta expect to pay down the road,

Who knows how that car has been treated like, what kind of oil has been used in it etc etc.. The tranny, motor, electronics, ball joints, suspension, all these things u gotta take into consideration..

Do u want new suspension down the road? because those shocks are done by now... it might ride fine, but how long? might be floaty loose etc,
a nice set of coilovers cost money,

if something goes wrong, its gona cost big money, because at that many miles its gona have to get replaced whatever it is, its going 2 cost $$$$

u might wanna just hold on for a year or whatever and get a cleaner lower mileage one... or perhaps finance a lower mileage one..

The reason i say this is becasue, my car is a 2000 Gs400, i have 87k on it right now and i feel the car is getting old, suspension etc etc, mind u, i've babied this car, I am first owner... Ams oil all the way, all service done at right times, car purrrrrr's, but i feel she is aging.. as i am replacing factory parts that are going bad... and its starting to **** me off,
i give the car 2-3 years before i switch and get something much nicer etc..

so please take all this into consideration...

U buy that car, have 1-2k lying around because stuff will go wrong, i don't care what any1 says,

Yes It's a LEXUS, its reliable than most cars out there, but Even Lexus's break down, and cost u Big $$$$........ im not saying don't buy the car man, im saying have a back up plan.. with any old car...

hope this helps
GL on ur purchase
Old 06-09-07, 08:49 AM
Daynja
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TonY_G

Honestly, the car has maybe 1-2 years left in it at most, but u never know man, when u buy an old car u gotta expect to pay down the road,

Who knows how that car has been treated like, what kind of oil has been used in it etc etc.. The tranny, motor, electronics, ball joints, suspension, all these things u gotta take into consideration..

Do u want new suspension down the road? because those shocks are done by now... it might ride fine, but how long? might be floaty loose etc,
a nice set of coilovers cost money,

if something goes wrong, its gona cost big money, because at that many miles its gona have to get replaced whatever it is, its going 2 cost $$$$

u might wanna just hold on for a year or whatever and get a cleaner lower mileage one... or perhaps finance a lower mileage one..

The reason i say this is becasue, my car is a 2000 Gs400, i have 87k on it right now and i feel the car is getting old, suspension etc etc, mind u, i've babied this car, I am first owner... Ams oil all the way, all service done at right times, car purrrrrr's, but i feel she is aging.. as i am replacing factory parts that are going bad... and its starting to **** me off,
i give the car 2-3 years before i switch and get something much nicer etc..

so please take all this into consideration...

U buy that car, have 1-2k lying around because stuff will go wrong, i don't care what any1 says,

Yes It's a LEXUS, its reliable than most cars out there, but Even Lexus's break down, and cost u Big $$$$........ im not saying don't buy the car man, im saying have a back up plan.. with any old car...

hope this helps
GL on ur purchase
Thanks for being honest first and foremost. Secondly, if I got 2 problem free years out of this car then that would be great!! It's kind of a short term solution anyway but I still want a good car. If i could get the price down to about $8K then i would have a couple thousand left over as a back up plan(if i don't spend it right away on mods, lol). The car is about 600 miles from me so i'm really depending a lot on all of your opinions before I decide to move forward with this. Thanks again and keep the opinions comin!!
Old 06-09-07, 09:24 AM
Daynja
Pole Position

Just talked to the dealer, he WILL NOT go under 9K.
Old 06-09-07, 09:30 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

My car has 167k on it now... i bought it at 152k last year, its running great and i havent had any major problems with it, besides engine mounts and ball joints.. Have it inspected, and im sure you will be fine... To whoever say the car only has 1-2 years left in it.,. no faith...
Old 06-09-07, 10:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Any car can last for long time... as long as you're willing to fix/replace whatever is broken.
The thing with a higher mileage car is it might come sooner

What year is it?
Old 06-09-07, 10:22 AM
Daynja
Pole Position

Its a 99 300
Old 06-09-07, 10:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Daynja
Its a 99 300
I have one too

I haven't any serious issues after the 100k mark.
I'm keeping this car until it falls apart

It is easier to say that when you're the 1st owner...being the 2nd owner, I can understand being a little hesitant about it.

That dealer didn't budge on the price so just keep looking
Old 06-09-07, 10:46 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mileage doesnt mean much...depends on what kind of life the car went through through those 165k miles. I hope you at least looked into a carfax, test drive and under the hood...I almost bought a perfectly looking GS with a clean carfax, then I popped the hood and theres water spots all over the car.

Quick Reply: Is 165,000 too many miles?