GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

dealership says balljoints are not a common problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 04:37 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dealership says balljoints are not a common problem

So I went to the local Lexus dealership in my jeans and Puma t-shirt and running shoes to get an estimate for parts to replace lower ball joints and tie rod. That was the ok part. Then the sales guy said to me...

salesperson: "Are you sure that its a tie rod and lower ball joint? Because I have worked here for a quite a few years and seen a lot of problems but I never heard of a GS400 with a bad lower ball joint"

are you kidding me?? what surprised me the most was that he wanted over $1000 to replace lower ball joints and tie rods...

also, TOM WOOD LEXUS of Indiana treated me like I didn't exist. The lady at the front desk just ignored me for a while and when she did respond her response was "we close at 6PM" and salesperson seemed like they were purposely trying to ignore me. The lady at the front desk for parts was nice though...but come on, its only Lexus, not a Maybach dealership.

/rant off

Last edited by kit cat; 02-25-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 04:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Thats pretty crazy because all suspension parts get wear and tear over time.. he must not deal with modified GS's..LOL

Mine only had 59k on them and they were pretty loose..

this guy doesn't know jack..
Old 06-12-07, 05:18 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need mine too with 138 miles and No way would I pay to 1k to have someone replace that lol
Old 06-12-07, 07:21 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's some crappy service right there.. but alas, it's real life >.< and 1k for those parts are ridiculous! -_-* he's stupid.
Old 06-12-07, 07:26 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

salesperson: "Are you sure that its a tie rod and lower ball joint? Because I have worked here for a quite a few years and seen a lot of problems but I never heard of a GS400 with a bad lower ball joint"
He is a sales guy. Next time try to ask him if your blinker fluids need replacement. Ask him how much would it cost for that service
JPI
Old 06-12-07, 07:51 PM
kit cat

the funny thing is, they just expanded and moved down the street. I told them I never knew they moved b/c I was in Tokyo for 5 years and that my parents bought a few Lexus (lexi?) back in the days from their older place...and low and behold, I get the real Lexus treatment [shakes head].

and he is a sales guy, but for the parts department I think. He wasnt a salesguy that sells you cars. and I'll ask for a muffler bearing instead next time LOL.

pxrlex>
it was 1000bucks with parts and labor.
525 for lower ball joint (parts and labor).
99bucks for tie rods (just parts).
Old 06-12-07, 10:37 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JPI
He is a sales guy. Next time try to ask him if your blinker fluids need replacement. Ask him how much would it cost for that service
JPI
LOL blinker fluids thats a classic
Old 06-13-07, 06:53 AM
gobears
Pole Position

It should only take less than 2 hours. The book call it 2 hours. I just replaced mine for a peace of mind... no noise...
Old 06-13-07, 10:06 AM
Billcifer
Driver School Candidate

I just got my ball joints done for $520.00 at lexus Rockfrod, IL . I still have a double popping noise when I accelerate from a dead stop. When I brought the car in the 1st time they said that was were the noise was from. Mind you 95k miles and I also have a 1.5"drop. I know the geometrics come into play but what does this mean?. I guess I am good now on ball joints.
Old 06-13-07, 10:32 AM
Primeraman
Driver School Candidate

Hey Coco, what color is your GS. Also, do you have any mods??? I live in Indy and keep seeing this silver GS with a kit a wheels on the Northeast side. I've always wanted to meet the guy but only see him driving. Just wondering if it was you.
Old 06-13-07, 10:39 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Are they covered under a Lexus extended platinum warranty?
Old 06-15-07, 08:12 AM
kit cat

well, revisited Tom Wood Lexus of Indiana yesterday and they were really really nice for some reason...

I drove by the service bay, expecting no service, but old man river came by my door, greeted me, asked me what was wrong (while pouring me a cup of Starschmucks coffee), called up a tech guy, tech guy drove my car, and told me to come back anytime for parts.
Old 06-15-07, 11:01 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

If you are in need of new ball joints and tie rods, I would seriously consider a DIY approach since it literally takes, eh, 15 minutes to replace each ball joint - maybe like 5 extra minutes to yank each tie rod. No way that job could take two hours. I ordered a set of each from Sewell this morning. 55 for each ball joint and 50 for each tie rod (outer) and plan on doing them myself this weekend. I will make sure to post pics and write up a DIY. Again, its simple. Other than a ratchet set, youll need a tie rod puller which is like 10 bucks at autozone.
Old 06-15-07, 12:46 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Not a common problem?

When I first bought my car, I had to take it two dealers for a suspension problem. Both dealers told me ball joints are a common problem.
Old 06-15-07, 12:58 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres probably at least 10-20 stories of people on this board with a 2gen gs that have had their car fall on its face

Mine included
Id say it is a common problem

Quick Reply: dealership says balljoints are not a common problem