GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Finally HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 01:42 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Coaboy can you just leave it be? He did his headlights the way he wanted. Not everyone has retro money and not everyone will do retros even if they had the money. Its a matter of opinion. He didn't come one here asking if it was right he came on posting pics to share. Opinions are fine good and bad but no need to keep hammering down yours and call him Ricer.
Old 06-15-07, 01:48 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
Coaboy can you just leave it be? He did his headlights the way he wanted. Not everyone has retro money and not everyone will do retros even if they had the money. Its a matter of opinion. He didn't come one here asking if it was right he came on posting pics to share. Opinions are fine good and bad but no need to keep hammering down yours and call him Ricer.
AMEN! What A said
Old 06-15-07, 01:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice set up..
Old 06-15-07, 02:10 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

nice conversion, very well done
Old 06-17-07, 04:00 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caoboy
the fact that your thread title " finally HID's" makes me wonder if it's not a pnp kit on a halogen headlamp. you don't have to lie to kick it, sorry for being so harsh, it just doesn't look nice from the pictures you took.
Yea man I hear you're tight if you do retro's....Why do you even care? It's his setup and he likes it so why bash. Not everyone likes the white look, some like it more blue. Maybe he doesn't have the money to do a retrofit? I sure as hell don't. Leave your financial status to yourself and keep your bashing comments to yourself..

Did I mention I don't like you? People like you can ruin a great thing like CL
Old 06-18-07, 03:49 AM
skeet94
Driver

Couple things I need to say -

I find this thread stupidly hilarious!

1) OP - I must say they look good, but how functional (visible light at night in pitch black) and how safe (glare for oncoming drivers) are they? I'd highly suggest you get someone trustworthy to drive your car towards you whilst you're standing or driving towards your car with HID's - you will almost definitely be annoyed by it . Just something to consider...HID's are cool, sure...but the fact of the matter is do you really want people to be flashing at you, because you are causing them to strain their eyes?

Another example would be something along the lines of someone driving towards you with their high beams on...would you like that? Just something to think about...as the effect of a PnP kit is the same (tons of glare).

2) People have pointed out what I have said, but have not used their words carefully to not offend the OP...also for those of you who think a retrofit is EXPENSIVE to do - let's just say you can pick up a set of TSX projectors for around $150usd shipped. So please - do not go around posting misinformation...a retrofit is not easy to do, and at the same time not hard to do either. There's loads of guides on how to do one properly, and a lot of hints/tips/advice wehre you can learn from the mistakes of others. Having bought the HID "pnp kit" you've already got the bulbs, ballasts, harness, wiring, etc so you're halfway there. I'd highly suggest people who think a retrofit is expensive to do a bit more research.

I'm currently looking at doing a retrofit using my OEM Denso ballasts, etc (stock HID system) and projectors have only cost me $150usd shipped for TSX clear lens projectors and $100 shipped for a set of Valeo H7 Halogen High Beam projectors. Those prices are WITH international shipping...so would be cheaper for you since you're in the US.

With a retrofit not only would you get much greater output, better distribution of light and a NICE cutoff (also nice colour with washer/sheild mods), you'd also not distract oncoming traffic by burning their retinas (so to speak) with glare.

Overall I'd say looks good, but could be MUCH better .

ALSO - if you're going to ask for an opinion on a public forum, be prepared to receive negative as well as positive comments.
Old 06-18-07, 05:58 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Just a suggestion, I personally like the stock 'yellow' fog light look. You can consider a set of 3000k HIDs for the fog lights!
Old 06-18-07, 06:07 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. There is some mean hatin' going on in here. That might be one of the reasons I don't post too much. You always have someone that was either a:raised by wolves. b:mentally challenged c:lacking manners that mommy and daddy (or the people in charge of nurturing you) should have taught you or d:Simply Rude! For the people that like to bash for whatever reason (safely behind your monitor) need to bring it down a notch. You're at a 10, we could use you at a 2. Constructive, not destructive. There, Im dont with my PSA.

Your lights, althought they look cool with the colors and all just make sure they are functional and safe first. Remember form follows function. you might be new to modding your car or lights and we can always learn from others. Read what seasoned modders have to write and retain that info, it'll make alot of things easier to understand and do. Cool pic though.
Old 06-18-07, 06:22 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why not try to fix the glare by using casper shields? i did this on my "ricer" honda with 4300k and there was no more glare. its about 50 bucks though and itll take the glare away.

im sure many members on here moved from honda to lexus, we get older, we buy different things, different tasted..why the hate on hondas calling them ricers?
Old 06-18-07, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Its not a matter of taste here, its a matter of safety. At 8k, the bulb is not even projecting any light for you to see. Its just a cute purple that blinds all oncoming traffic. Its not even purposeful for the driver.

That is why the government mandates OEM be 4300k. I would say 6k tops anything above that is for the LOOK, not for function.

I cannot lie, 8k HIDs look "cool". However for use on the road, its very blinding to oncoming traffic.

Good luck, I hope you don't get any tickets!
Old 06-19-07, 08:18 AM
Olu
Pole Position

I have a McCulloch PNP kit. I started with 6000k and couldn't stand how blue that was. I'm much happier with the 5000k kit. I also have my headlights aimed low. This eliminated glare to oncoming traffic SIGNIFICANTLY. Cut off sucks and light output while better then stock halogens doesn't even come close to a retrofit.

In my research 8000k is for look only and is created by coloring the bulb. You do loose a fair amount of output, but if that's the look you want all the more power to you. Personally I think the blue lights look cheesy, but I don't like body kits either. The deep blue that's created by a projector (which I think a lot of these 8000k kits are trying to emulate) is transient and looks much cooler then these kits.

Now what exactly are these casper shields? I've been thinking about fabricating a shield for my HID bulbs so that I can get a better cutoff and aim the lights higher.

Old 06-19-07, 04:14 PM
drivenvip
Driver School Candidate

Default Hid Color Choices

!!!!HID RULES!!!!----They look great!! The color is a choice, I have a HID conversion company and i have put a tremendous amount of time and money into reasearch of a high quality conversion and there is a lot of junk out there....focal point of the bulb placement is key in maintaining the "non-blinding" feature. The blue hue color ranges from just above 5500 kelvin up to around 13000 kelvin, where purple starts to show on our chromotography testing machine. I run 8000k in all my lights on my GS400 and it gives me a great balance of light output and custom color that gets noticed!! Even though i can build any color kit from 3000k-24000k, the lumens(light output) is at its peak around 5000k @3200 lumens.....BRIGHT!!!! IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT HID CONVERSIONS, D2R-D2S CUSTOM REPLACEMENT BULBS, I WOULD LOVE TO HELP!! GOTTA HOOK UP MY LEXUS BOYS!! The kits are plug and play, but I am faced with daily electrical battles in new vehicles coming out on the market each year...constant upgrades to our ballasts and harnesses to exceed any companies past problems such as Day Time Running Lights, GM CAN systems, and Chryslers LAN system....pain in the ***!!!
I have them all worked out so far!!
CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP ANYBODY!!
THANKS TYLER....

2000 GS400 PLATINUM EDITION
DAIZEN SPRINGS
L-TUNED SHOCKS
19X9 SSR PROFESSORS FRONT
19X10.5 SSR PROFESSORS REAR
XENONWORX 9006 8K FOGLIGHT KIT
XENONWORX D2R 8K OEM REPLACEMENT BULBS
XENONWORX 9005 8K HI-BEAM CONVERSION!!! DANGEROUS BRIGHT
TANABE SUPER HYPER MEDALLION EXHAUST W/RESONATORS REMOVED
NITROUS EXPRESS 75 SHOT WET SYSTEM
APEXi SAFC NEO CONTROLLER
RMM COLD AIR INTAKE
RMM 3-PC SPOILER
RMM STRUT TOWER BRACE
ALPINE W200 6.5 INDASH DVD UNIT
IPOD CONNECT/REAR CAM/SIRIUS
ALPINE NAV UNIT IN GLOVEBOX
2 JL W3 V3 SUBS
JL 500-1 AMP
JL 300-4 AMP
CUSTOM SUEDE TRUNK PANELING
INTERIOR LED KIT
30% TINT OVER FULL WINDSHIELD
15% TINT ALL OTHERS
LOTS OF LOVE TO COME!!!

Originally Posted by LXXTASY
So 8000K is ricer and NOT real HIDs? Please noob, watch what you say before people get on your case. 8000K is a choice. Most people dont like 4300K because their objective isnt to be stock but to be unique. The word "ricer" is thrown around WAYYYYY TOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHHH.

Anything can be classified ricer then. Body kits, wings, lowering too much, etc. So why dont you take any of that as ricer? Please man, watch whats said.
Old 06-19-07, 04:22 PM
drivenvip
Driver School Candidate

Default Hid Colors..chromotography

I AGREE, 8000K STILL PRODUCES 2800-3000 LUMENS!!! COMPARE THAT TO A HALOGEN YELLOWISH SCATTERED LIGHT....PEOPLE JUST DONT THE HOMEWORK FIRST, A QUALITY HID COMPANY WILL INVEST THE MONEY TO HAVE TESTING PROCEDURES, ie(FAILURE RATES AND ACTUAL KELVIN COLOR) DONT GO BY AN EBAY COLOR CHART THAT IS A PHOTOSHOP CREATION!!.....YOUR BLUE LEXUS IS BEAUTIFUL BY THE WAY!!!! PROPS TO ALL YOUR IDEAS....SEE YA AT HIN ORLANDO

Originally Posted by bluelex
Old 06-20-07, 11:25 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-S...spagenameZWD1V

there is an ebay link for you to see what im talking about when i say casper shields... atleast that is what they were called when i did a hid conversion a long time ago. just look for the ones that fit the 9006 housing. this does take away the glare and its super easy to install.

i have these for sale

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=281979

this will be the correct reflectors non HID gS's
Old 06-20-07, 12:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

are the light housings for HID?
if not then
it would be awesome if u could fix the glare

Quick Reply: Finally HIDs