GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 01:16 AM
FIGTREES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 in snow

I had 3 ES300's before getting this GS300 yesterday. The ES was acceptable in snow. What should I expect from the GS300?

Keep it in the garage or don't worry?

Joel.................
Old 12-14-01, 04:27 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

I have had my GS3 for two winters now. The first winter I rode on the stock Goodyears. These were unacceptable. The car was impossible to drive in the snow.

Last winter I got 4 Blizzaks (215/60-16 with alloy wheels) from the Tire Rack. The difference was night and day.

When the Goodyears went last summer, I got Dunlop SP5000s (225/55-16). These were enormously better than the Goodyears in the rain. I've not tried them in the snow yet, although I am considering doing so.

The Blizzaks are going on between Christmas and New Years.

I would not dirve in the snow without either of these options.
Old 12-14-01, 09:07 AM
LarryF
Rookie

I went from an ES300 to a GS300 too and was VERY disappointed in the poor way the GS handled in the snow. The first time I drove it in the snow I was ready to go back to the ES! I remember a post a while back that recommended adding weight in the trunk to help with traction, but haven't tried it yet. Let me know if you come up with anything - I don't like winter to begin with, and it wasn't made any easier with the GS. Otherwise - I love the car
Old 12-14-01, 09:26 AM
The_Best_GS
Driver

The ES is FWD. It should handle better than a GS in snow.

Changing to some winter tires should help though. With stock tires GS = Garage when Snowing
Old 12-14-01, 09:31 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

For you guys up north, there is no way around dedicated snow tires IF you plan on driving a GS year round. Even with VSC and TRAC, those things which make it a driver's car in warmer weather (near neutral balance and rear wheel drive) conspire to make it unmanageable in snowy/icy conditions.

All season tires are compromises that do nothing well in exchange for marginal performance in most conditions. Do a TireRack deal with 4 wheels/tires; it's cheap compared to wadding up your GS.

Even then, I'd just take my RX and leave AirLexus in the garage.
Old 12-14-01, 02:34 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, I spent most of my life in the northeast and I've driven in more snow than I want to think about. Most of it before front-wheel drive, ABS, TRAC and VSC became available. And about 10 of those years were in hilly upstate NY and western PA.

Snow tires are a must for any rear-wheel drive car in the snow. And since there's less weight in the back and our cars have relatively wide tires it can get tricky. I'd get the best snow tires I could afford. When I was living in the hilly terrain I got snows on all four corners...and a 2 bags of sand - One for pure ballast the other for both ballast and to spread under the tires if necessary - with a folding military shovel I also kept in the trunk.

What I did was to "renew" my snow skills in an empty parking lot the first time it snowed each season....especially when I got a "new" car. I'd take the car to a mall or school parking lot when no one else was around early in the morning or late at night and see what it could do. I'd accelerate at different speeds and stop from gentle to panic...and get a feel for how the car responded. I'd test loose snow and packed snow and glare ice if I could find it. Then I'd find a hill somewhere and test the car going up and down it and stopping on the up and down sides of the incline.

I believe the trick is to put on the right tires and learn what the car is capable of...then drive accordingly. You still won't have as much traction on the drive wheels as a front driver, but knowing how the car reacts allows you to drive within your's and the car's capabilities. You won't have that much trouble once you've mastered and accepted the different capabilities of a rear-driver vs. a front driver.
Old 12-14-01, 07:22 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in CT for the winter I use Dunlop Sport 5000 Asymmetrical. And in the Summer I use my Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole position. I did not have any problem with the Dunlop tires in the snow. The car handles great. I do highly recommend them. I will advise you to stay away from winter tires due to the fact that the tire wall is too soft for our GS’s. The Dunlop Sports offer great all around ride and excellent show traction.

Mark
Old 12-15-01, 01:01 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what you guys talking about GS not handle the snow.. I live in boston.. before that was Toronto. I had my 4 stock 4 season on for last year.. and had no problem at all. This year, with Big Brake upgrade in mind, I had 17" Tire on for Winter... but used the Dunlop Winter sport M2 snow tire. The car perform beautifully on our first now fall last week. If budge is allowed, definitely go with new set of snow tires.
Old 12-15-01, 01:14 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RealMarty
Guys, I spent most of my life in the northeast and I've driven in more snow than I want to think about. Most of it before front-wheel drive, ABS, TRAC and VSC became available. And about 10 of those years were in hilly upstate NY and western PA.

Snow tires are a must for any rear-wheel drive car in the snow. And since there's less weight in the back and our cars have relatively wide tires it can get tricky. I'd get the best snow tires I could afford. When I was living in the hilly terrain I got snows on all four corners...and a 2 bags of sand - One for pure ballast the other for both ballast and to spread under the tires if necessary - with a folding military shovel I also kept in the trunk.

What I did was to "renew" my snow skills in an empty parking lot the first time it snowed each season....especially when I got a "new" car. I'd take the car to a mall or school parking lot when no one else was around early in the morning or late at night and see what it could do. I'd accelerate at different speeds and stop from gentle to panic...and get a feel for how the car responded. I'd test loose snow and packed snow and glare ice if I could find it. Then I'd find a hill somewhere and test the car going up and down it and stopping on the up and down sides of the incline.

I believe the trick is to put on the right tires and learn what the car is capable of...then drive accordingly. You still won't have as much traction on the drive wheels as a front driver, but knowing how the car reacts allows you to drive within your's and the car's capabilities. You won't have that much trouble once you've mastered and accepted the different capabilities of a rear-driver vs. a front driver.
just came back from the snowy parking lot!!!

your right it is very important to know what your car can do in winter, and just as important to have winter tires. If you do both you should be fine
Old 12-15-01, 01:37 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The GS is a great snow driving vehicle as long as you use 16" winter tires.. We're using Pirelli Winter 210's on the GS4 right now and we had our first taste of snow just last night.. The trick with driving the GS in the snow is to use the winter snow mode when turning at intersections.. Just prevents you from applying too much power and making the back end fish tailish..

One thing I wish Lexus did was put in a LSD and I hope they correct this problem on the next generation GS.. I've driven the GS in driving snow storms and for a rear wheel drive car I think it worked better than my old front wheel drive Intrepid.. Just my 2 cents!

Happy Holidays and Safe driving!

Ken
Old 12-15-01, 01:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

haha ken, i was just talking to my mom about needing an LSD today in the snow and she was saying "but LSD is a drug!" hahahaha
Old 12-15-01, 01:54 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusRules
haha ken, i was just talking to my mom about needing an LSD today in the snow and she was saying "but LSD is a drug!" hahahaha
ROFL Sasha..
Old 12-16-01, 10:16 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

ken i wanted to ask you, how is your SC430 in the snow? did they put the RX300 wheels/tires on your car? thats what i've seen around here on the SC430.. actually looks pretty good
Old 12-16-01, 03:13 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Sasha you must be mad.. The SC430 will never see one flake of the white stuff.. We're using the GS & TL as the winter cars for the moment.. Thinking of getting a Mazda Tribute or RAV4 or maybe even Matrix for winter next year and get rid of the TL.. Depends how business goes this coming year I guess..

Did you figure out what 19's you want to buy yet??
Old 12-16-01, 03:54 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexusRules
That's pretty funny . I asked this question a while back, and the answer I got (I think it was you who told me) was that an LSD is noiser and not as smooth as a regular differential (sp?). I think TRAC is kinda like a pretend LSD, though...

Quick Reply: GS300 in snow