GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hood Not closing all the way...leaves a gap

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 08:21 AM
maxmethods
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Not closing all the way...leaves a gap

Ok...i have an annoying problem here. My hood will not close all the way. I am pretty sure it that there is nothing preventing it or blocking it from closing. the big problem is that i can see a gap between my hood and my bumper and it looks disgusting!!

Now, I do have a clue to what could be the problem. I let one of my friends attempt to change my breakpads not too long ago. And he normally works on honda's and stuff, so apparently he tried to jackup the car from the front instead of the side spots.

so i am begining to think that when he did that, he could have pushed up the radiator support or something that is part of the frame that holds the hood latch.

If thats the case....does anyone know who i can fix this problem? any suggestions would help, cause i am not even sure what the real problem is.
Thanks.
Old 06-19-07, 11:51 AM
maxmethods
Driver

anybody ever had anything similar to this? or has anyone ever had a larger then usual gap between theyre hood and bumper?
Old 06-19-07, 01:13 PM
gobears
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you the original owner?

I hate to tell you that PO may have never tell you about the previous accident before.
Old 06-19-07, 01:33 PM
maxmethods
Driver

im not the original owner...but this happened recently. It used to shut fine with no problems. So im pretty sure whatever happened happened while i was the owner...unfortunately =(
Old 07-05-07, 05:54 AM
maxmethods
Driver

bumpin cause my hood still has a gap. lol. Nobody had this problem before?
Old 07-05-07, 06:05 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think this is a normal thing to happen, but maybe you friend did bend something up, and messed up your whip. Did you look at the bottom of the hood and check if anything is touching, leaving transfer marks. Also, look under the car and see if anything is bent there. I don't think you should be jacking up our lex from the front. On most Honda coupes and sedans you can jack up from the front. I have seen it a million times with no ill efects. Lexus, i would not even try it, our cars weigh a lot, and most of that weight is toward the front.
Old 07-05-07, 06:05 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Any tools left within the engine bay?
Old 07-05-07, 06:08 AM
maxmethods
Driver

Originally Posted by DCMango
Any tools left within the engine bay?
yea i agree. im almost certain that when he did that, it pushed sumthing up and now i have this problem. Im trying to avoid going to lexus or a bodyshop to fix this...the gap isnt even that big, but it bothers the hell out of me.

im trynna figure out a way to lower the hood latch, cause ultimately thats the main problem. its too high.
Old 07-05-07, 06:54 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

you know, bending the support like that is just not a safe thing. You might want to get a good shops opinion. Something like this could be more messed up than you think. I mean if he did enough damage to cause a gap in the hood, everything else down there might be really bent out of shape. This is not even considering that it could be your entire front frame not being able to support the weight and bending. Did you check the door/fender gap on the bottom by both your front doors. See if it got bigger than everywhere else.
Old 07-05-07, 07:07 AM
maxmethods
Driver

i just went out and checked it. the door/fender gap looks normal. i wish i had my camera so i could take pics to show. i havent noticed anything else wrong other then the hood gap. any suggestions or ideas or quickfixes?
Old 07-05-07, 07:13 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

did you check the bottom for any bending? Any scraping to the bottom of the hood?
Old 07-05-07, 08:31 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check to see if the hood struts are fully able to lay in their proper place.
Old 07-05-07, 08:35 AM
Ajnabi
Driver School Candidate

I am going to guess its your latch wire that runs from the inside of the car to the hood latch outside. I have had the same issue with mine. You need to open up the latch from the front and see if you can pull the wire and try to spray it with wd-40 and see if that helps.
Old 07-05-07, 09:04 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would definitely say before playing with the latch, check the rubber "bumpstops" on each side in case one is way higher than the other. It probably wasnt played with but they might allow some adjustment for you.
Old 07-05-07, 10:38 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Does the hood latch and lock? Or does it just latch? I had a similiar problem. My hood would latch together but did not lock...I push down to close the hood but would just pop back up because it was not locking. There was too much play in my hood latch cable...maybe being stretched out from over the years. I just got some zip ties to hold the cable tighter in place.

Quick Reply: Hood Not closing all the way...leaves a gap