GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Calling 98-00 Owners w/LED Tails. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07 | 06:43 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Default Calling 98-00 Owners w/LED Tails. Help!

I just received the snowflake style tails for my 98. Everything was going smooth with the install until I get to my reverse light. The cutout for the reverse light on the LED tail is much smaller then my factory piece. I call the company I purchased these from, and after sitting on-hold for 15 minutes, someone gets on to tell me that they have never heard of this problem and there should be no difference between the 98 and 01+ factory bulbs. I emailed a fellow member here who has these lights. Apparently the 01+ have a smaller reverse light. Has anyone with a 98-00 purchased these tails? If so, what did you do about the pieces not matching up? Can I just splice on a connector from an 01?

Here is the light...

The smaller outlet I am talking about can be seen to the left... Thanks
Old 06-19-07 | 07:07 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Originally Posted by PMIRO2
I just received the snowflake style tails for my 98. Everything was going smooth with the install until I get to my reverse light. The cutout for the reverse light on the LED tail is much smaller then my factory piece. I call the company I purchased these from, and after sitting on-hold for 15 minutes, someone gets on to tell me that they have never heard of this problem and there should be no difference between the 98 and 01+ factory bulbs. I emailed a fellow member here who has these lights. Apparently the 01+ have a smaller reverse light. Has anyone with a 98-00 purchased these tails? If so, what did you do about the pieces not matching up? Can I just splice on a connector from an 01?

Here is the light...

The smaller outlet I am talking about can be seen to the left... Thanks
you need the harness from the 01+ tallights. the reverse lights on the 98-00 and 01-05 are different.
Old 06-19-07 | 07:09 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

I have a 98 and got mine from Carson with no problems.
Old 06-19-07 | 07:46 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BurgandyGS
I have a 98 and got mine from Carson with no problems.
Mine are from Carson as well. Was your reverse light the same as the one in the picture or was it larger?
Old 06-19-07 | 07:49 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

your tails shouldve came with a harness...Mine did
Old 06-19-07 | 07:53 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedaddic
your tails shouldve came with a harness...Mine did
Mine came with the harness also but they are not the snowflake type leds
Old 06-19-07 | 09:58 PM
sleeper408

Maybe you can get away with using a smaller bulb instead of having to purchase a pair of 01+ harnesses.
Old 06-19-07 | 10:21 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Couldn't you just get a universal socket from AutoZone or the like and just splice it in...
Old 06-20-07 | 01:52 AM
sleeper408

Is Sonar the only one that includes the harness? That is what I have.
Old 06-20-07 | 04:50 AM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Maybe you can get away with using a smaller bulb instead of having to purchase a pair of 01+ harnesses.
The actual piece the bulb sits in is larger on the 98, so it is too big for the LED tail
Old 06-20-07 | 04:53 AM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TYPEII
Couldn't you just get a universal socket from AutoZone or the like and just splice it in...
I am sure I can, but I am a little annoyed that I was not informed of this. I was told these are plug and play. No one asked what year this was for. I told them GS400, not 430. I'll get it figured out. Maybe I can get the actual original seller on the phone today instead of the guy from yesterday who was telling me the bulbs are no different from the 400 to 430 Thanks for the info everyone
Old 06-20-07 | 05:27 AM
maxmethods
Driver

Hey PMIRO2. I had the same problem with the same exact taillights. I didnt feel like going through any more hassle trying to get a harness...so i just borrowed my pops dremel. I made the reverse light hole big enough to fit the bulb n socket. It worked perfectly. Just make sure u get an air compressor or something to try and blow out the the plastic dremel debree that it will leave inside the taillight when u enlarge it.

It worked great for me. let me know if this helps.
Old 06-20-07 | 05:50 AM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maxmethods
Hey PMIRO2. I had the same problem with the same exact taillights. I didnt feel like going through any more hassle trying to get a harness...so i just borrowed my pops dremel. I made the reverse light hole big enough to fit the bulb n socket. It worked perfectly. Just make sure u get an air compressor or something to try and blow out the the plastic dremel debree that it will leave inside the taillight when u enlarge it.

It worked great for me. let me know if this helps.
I was thinking about doing this. Don't really feel like shipping them back if I don't have to. How did you secure the light then? Does it just sit in there? Thanks
Old 06-20-07 | 05:57 AM
maxmethods
Driver

it will fit snug. just make sure u only work one spot of opening. for instance...dont go around in circles trynna open up the whole opening. just do one area, and make sure you keep the pre-cut indents in the opening. that way when u put the bulb in, you can still turn it to the right or left until it locks in.

hope this helps, its kinda hard to explain without pics.
Old 06-20-07 | 07:25 AM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maxmethods
it will fit snug. just make sure u only work one spot of opening. for instance...dont go around in circles trynna open up the whole opening. just do one area, and make sure you keep the pre-cut indents in the opening. that way when u put the bulb in, you can still turn it to the right or left until it locks in.

hope this helps, its kinda hard to explain without pics.
I know what you are saying. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Calling 98-00 Owners w/LED Tails. Help!