GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are our cars really worth so little on the trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 10:51 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take a Kelly Blue Book printout with you... Appraise the car yourself before you go (BE HONEST!) and just give them the printout so they know they aren't dealing with a complete idiot. Based off what you said, KBB.com says with a "Good" body rating (No car is "Excellent" unless it just came out of the paint booth) is worth $13k on trade in. Click here to read it!
Old 06-21-07, 11:41 PM
gobears
Pole Position

I say put the ad here, and I see so many people in CL looking for GS4
Old 06-22-07, 08:21 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Thats crazy, I traded in my 99 gs300 with 98k on the clock 3 months ago and got $9000 for it from carmax. I tried to trade it in with the Tein CS and 20s for a 350z and the dealer offered $5500 for it. I was offended by that and left the place, took the car back to stock and had carmax appraise it. Those guys were pretty fair to me, KBB was roughly 10k on it and I got 9k from them since the demand in my area is low for that car. I would also recommend parting it out and selling private or at least trade it in stock.
Old 06-22-07, 03:15 PM
jdanh
Driver School Candidate

either they are ripping you or I got ripped for paying 13k for a 99 GS300 with 69K miles. I bought from an individual off of EBAY. That was the cheapest I could find for the year and mileage any where, Autotrader, MSN auto, EBAY and local. I say sell it yourself if you got the time.
Old 06-22-07, 03:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mole
I

Bottom line, I have bought a lot of cars in my day, I would have to say, wear steel underwear and bring a buddy to watch your back in stealerships...
LOL Steel underwear! Damn thats funny.

The aftermarket mods really hurt trade in, because you have to now find someone with the exact same taste as you, as opposed to stock which appeals to everyone. Especially exhaust and things like that, when most people think Lexus, they dont thing bassy, gurgling exhaust.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition
Old 06-22-07, 05:08 PM
LexFather

You got 2,3,4 owner cars. They have no maintenance records. It is 2007, the 3GS has been around 2 1/2 years now...
Old 06-23-07, 06:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

That dealer is definitely trying to rip you off, no question about that.

As others have mentioned, if you must get rid of the car, put it back to stock and you will get a better price. Better yet, after taking it back to stock, try to sell it privately (yes that can be hard sometimes), as you most definitely will get a better price.

Originally Posted by Neophyte
So heres the story, me and my girl are expecting and of course she wants me to get rid of my car since its too loud (greddy exhaust) and its not big enough
The bigger question though is why people think that because they are going to have a kid, that they need to buy a van or suv. I just don't get this part..........

I have two boys and I have never ever felt the need to buy a bigger car than a 4-door sedan. What exactly is small about your GS???? You need to reason with your significant other and talk her out of this mindset.

Even when my boys were little kids using infant seats, there was never a time that we did not have enough space for other stuff like a stroller, diapers etc. I mean how can a baby's other stuff be more than a trunkfull in a GS???? That is just absurd!

Even now that my kids are 10 and 8, and we carry our TKD sparring gear in the trunk (of my wifes Maxima), we still don't need any more space!

Bottom line? You don't need any more space than what your spacious sedan already has. Keep the car and don't take a hit on getting rid of it, unless there is something mechanically wrong with it or you just want to get something "newer" and higher tech.
Old 06-23-07, 08:50 AM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses guys! I have made the decision to keep it since I talked to my girl again. Hameed you are right - I was telling her its one kid and the GS is no small car, its not like its a Chevy Aveo two door. Her real issue was the loud exhaust, granted the EVO's are loud especially for those sitting in the back. So I am gonna keep the car since I dont wanna go through the hassle of selling it privately and I just dont want to get rid of it I love my GS. I will just put stock exhaust back on the car, so you all might be seeing some EVO's in the classified section soon... again thanks for the respones.
Old 06-23-07, 10:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's great to hear!
Old 06-23-07, 11:09 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad you keeping it and so will your kids. They will feel a lot cooler riding around in your gs. Trust me, I had to ride in a mini for many years and I wish I couldve been picked in a gs from school.
Old 06-23-07, 05:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys! I have made the decision to keep it since I talked to my girl again. Hameed you are right - I was telling her its one kid and the GS is no small car, its not like its a Chevy Aveo two door. Her real issue was the loud exhaust, granted the EVO's are loud especially for those sitting in the back. So I am gonna keep the car since I dont wanna go through the hassle of selling it privately and I just dont want to get rid of it I love my GS. I will just put stock exhaust back on the car, so you all might be seeing some EVO's in the classified section soon... again thanks for the respones.
I have a solution for you to keep you loud exhaust.

All you need to do is to install some sound deadening behind the rear seatback on the metal panel that separates the cabin from the trunk to cut down a significant portion of that noise coming into the cabin from the exhaust.

Also installing some sound deadening in the trunk and the spare wheel well area will cut down even more of the sound that gets into the cabin.

Let me know if you need any more information on this. I have a loud exhaust as well and those are the measures I took to reduce the noise level in the car.
Old 06-23-07, 08:23 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Iused to have a big block truck with Borla exhaust that was quite loud. It was great, when my daughter was small it would put her to sleep within 5-10 min. in the truck. As she got louder she always got excited when I was half a block away knowing daddy was almost home.