GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alignment on Regular Interval?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07 | 05:31 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Default Alignment on Regular Interval?

I just had 4 new tires installed on my GS this past Friday. Do you all recommend an alignment at this time as well? If not, is there a regular service interval for alignments?

Many thanks!
Old 06-24-07 | 08:47 AM
sjpobox
Driver

I would get the alignment now and at 15k intervals
Old 06-24-07 | 09:14 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

4 wheel alignment is definately a good idea with a new set of tires. Not a lot of cost to insure even tire wear and a proper ride. Road force balance on the tires is also a good idea.
Old 06-24-07 | 10:24 AM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

I always recommend an alignment with new tires. If you have a good suspension on the car, a specific interval isn't really necessary. Unless your having a problem. I only do it with new tires or replacement of front end/suspension parts.
Old 06-24-07 | 02:28 PM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Here is the deal with alignment. Go to a place that offers like a 3 year deal on alignment - where you pay between $100 and $200 to come in any time in the next 3 years and get a full alignment job - and then get the alignment whenever you want. Before I had my '99 GS4, I had a slammed '97 Altima with low pro's and big rims. I had a million problems with alignment so I may be a little paranoid, but I have that 3 year alignment deal with Tire Kingdom/TK Performance, and I could essentially walk in everyday for the next 2 years, since I bought it a year ago, and get my alignment done. Matter of fact, I just replaced my lower ball joints, outer tie rods, front brake pads and rotors on friday night, and had my alignment done Saturday morning. Its a must when replacing suspension components and a good idea when buying new tires as well. You do not want to be riding on the inner side wall of brand new tires and have them blow out on you after like 3000 miles....
Old 06-24-07 | 03:35 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Thank you all very much for your replies! I will make an appointment this week. Chenzo26, there's a new tire and alignment shop that's just opened up near my work, I'll check it out to see if they have some sort of program like you explained.

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-07 | 06:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I wouldn't trust any shop with my alignment. Dealer would be the place for this kind of job.
Old 06-24-07 | 07:07 PM
Tranman

I paid $160 for a lifetime alignment with Firestone... so anytime I want an alignment, I can go to any Firestone and that's it. I've gotten my alignment done 6-7 times so far...
Old 06-25-07 | 07:05 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I wouldn't trust any shop with my alignment. Dealer would be the place for this kind of job.
Most alignment places use the same alignment rack as the dealer. So long as you have someone who knows how to make the adjustments you should be fine. Also, ask them for a print out of the before and after specs. You should also be allowed to look at the computer that monitors the alignment as they adjust it to be able to see if they are doing it correctly. Alignment is a pretty basic thing. IMO I wouldn't pay a dealer 2 or 3 times the amount that other places would charge for that service.
Old 06-25-07 | 10:05 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

3 year alignment for a flat price? does anyone know if this exists in NYC?
Old 06-25-07 | 10:50 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
agreed, it costs more, but only I go the dealer only for alignments too.

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Most alignment places use the same alignment rack as the dealer. So long as you have someone who knows how to make the adjustments you should be fine. .
I would never, ever take my GS to any Tire Kingdom for anything. They are THEE worst. 99% of their workers are idiots. They are good for cheap tire prices and that is it.
Old 06-25-07 | 11:00 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
agreed, it costs more, but only I go the dealer only for alignments too.

I would never, ever take my GS to any Tire Kingdom for anything. They are THEE worst. 99% of their workers are idiots. They are good for cheap tire prices and that is it.
Well, if you want to keep throwing money away at the dealership...that's fine. One question though, have you ever had your alignment done at Tire Kingdom? If not, I don't see how you can make that assumption. Personally, I have never had a problem with their alignment jobs. As stated earlier, that rack and software used for alignment services are nearly identical all over the US. Even I know how to do an alignment, I just dont have the rack to do it. The software tells you what to do, so if you know how to follow directions, you can do alignment on a car. I understand your reserves about going to just any place, but for such a basic procedure, I dont think dealership prices are warranted.
Old 06-25-07 | 02:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
One question though, have you ever had your alignment done at Tire Kingdom?
I have been dealing with tire kingdom for over 19 years. they have done alignments on my other cars including my ES300 and I've had to bring it back a few times because of a pull. I even had them warranty tires I bought from them because they did an align when I bought tires and then they wore out prematurely from bad alignment. I've also seen them over torque lugs and break lugs and not tell me until I found out myself. I've also had them not correctly balance tires and had to go back again and again.

I speak from experience when I say tire kingdom is no good.
Old 06-25-07 | 05:31 PM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
I have been dealing with tire kingdom for over 19 years. they have done alignments on my other cars including my ES300 and I've had to bring it back a few times because of a pull. I even had them warranty tires I bought from them because they did an align when I bought tires and then they wore out prematurely from bad alignment. I've also seen them over torque lugs and break lugs and not tell me until I found out myself. I've also had them not correctly balance tires and had to go back again and again.

I speak from experience when I say tire kingdom is no good.
Hmm.. its odd that you have had such bad experiences and I have had no problems. What part of Florida do you live in...I'll make sure not to get my car serviced at a Tire Kingdom there.
Old 06-27-07 | 03:31 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Look for a shop that has a rack to park the car on to do a 4 wheel computer alignment. They should be able to give you a before and after printout of the results. Dealer will do the job right but for about double the cost. The lifetime alignment is a good deal if you find a competent shop.

Quick Reply: Alignment on Regular Interval?