GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 02:03 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Did this DIY this morning on the rear passenger door and the lock works perfectly now. I ordered a new motor from ebay for $13.39 shipped from seller tag16c. I switched the back cap from new motor to old motor instead of messing with the coupling. Like others have said....the most challenging step is getting the case holding the motor open. I used a razor blade and hammer and eventually got it open.
Old 10-22-09, 07:46 AM
bjack0013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks to everyone for posting detailed, helpful information in this DIY. I'm a novice at fixing pretty much anything so i decided to purchase the motor on eBay and take it up to my local, trusted Lexus mechanic to have him install the motor. He's not a dealer and has treated us well for a couple years in providing service for less than half of what Sewell of Dallas estimates. In short, he said he has installed just the motor many times and it works about 50% of the time. He advised against installing the motor and going with the entire actuator. He quoted 1.5 hrs for the actuator or 2.5 hrs to replace just the motor as the latter takes more time.

My question is, has anyone else had issues with the motor not taking on the first try? I trust this mechanic's judgment but thought I'd check with the board. Also, the mechanic knows i'll source the actuator on my own should we go that route so he would actually make more $ going the motor route. Just thought it was interesting he'd advise against knowing this. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again for everyone's input and advice.
Old 10-22-09, 07:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Works 100% of the time for me. The only way you'll mess up 50% of the time is if you don't know what you're doing, or the motors are 50% defective from the factory (unlikely). There are plenty of people on here who have done it successfully and many of them aren't mechanics either.
Old 10-22-09, 09:32 AM
MattVR4
Driver School Candidate

I haven't taken out the Acutuator out yet. Can anyone tell me does it matter which is up or down while putting the motor in? I don't want to get the positive to the negative then my door lock would work opposite.

Thanks

Last edited by MattVR4; 10-22-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 10:07 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

The motor itself plugs into the housing and can only go in one way. It will be clear once you get it open.
Old 10-22-09, 02:01 PM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

Changed out mine 3 times and still no luck. Mine worked for about 3 weeks and it stops working. I followed the DIY instructions to the "t" and still no luck. I guess I just had some bad motors to begin with. Anyways...I will order some and check to see if this batch is successful. If not, I will have to order the actual actuator. You guys can chime in if you experience the same thing.
Old 10-22-09, 02:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Each time you take it out, did the motor look any different? Did you just switch out the cap or the whole motor?
Old 10-23-09, 03:35 AM
jackyban
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bjack0013
First, thanks to everyone for posting detailed, helpful information in this DIY. I'm a novice at fixing pretty much anything so i decided to purchase the motor on eBay and take it up to my local, trusted Lexus mechanic to have him install the motor. He's not a dealer and has treated us well for a couple years in providing service for less than half of what Sewell of Dallas estimates. In short, he said he has installed just the motor many times and it works about 50% of the time. He advised against installing the motor and going with the entire actuator. He quoted 1.5 hrs for the actuator or 2.5 hrs to replace just the motor as the latter takes more time.

My question is, has anyone else had issues with the motor not taking on the first try? I trust this mechanic's judgment but thought I'd check with the board. Also, the mechanic knows i'll source the actuator on my own should we go that route so he would actually make more $ going the motor route. Just thought it was interesting he'd advise against knowing this. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again for everyone's input and advice.
No Sane mechanic is going to tell his client to go the gut of the actuator and change just the motor out. I have had my motor replaced since July 2009 and it is still working fine the first time around. This DIY is meant for people who is willing to put some time and elbow grease to replace the motor themselves. If you fall into the category of the majority of people out there who depends on their mechanic for everything, then yes replacing the whole actuator would make much more sense. I am no mechanic myself and still depends on my guy for the major 60K and 100K tune up.
Old 10-31-09, 02:07 PM
othater
Rookie

I did mine over 6 months and still working great.
Will be doing the two fronts of a RX300 during the holidays with the extras I purchased.
Old 11-01-09, 06:12 AM
zach
Rookie

I tried to do my right rear door last weekend and it ended in utter frustration: after unscrewing the door panel, popping it off, disconnecting all the switches, and etc, I peeled back the plastic cover and unscrewed three of the four Torx screws. But then the last one wouldn't budge. I was trying so hard, I bruised my palm. Ow. I doused it in WD-40, and tried again, to no avail. Pliers didn't work either, and I didn't have an electric drill with Torx bits... so I cursed a few times and then re-assembled everything. Grrr.

Does anyone have any advice for getting that damn screw out?
Old 11-01-09, 04:22 PM
solotallbo
Rookie

Default What is the correct part # for actuator motor?

Hi, I want to give the actuator a DIY, however, I cant determine what is the correct part # for the Mabuchi motor for my 2003 GS. I see both FC-280PC-22125 and FC 280PT 22125. Can you help me in choosing the right one?

Thanks
Old 11-07-09, 08:40 PM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by solotallbo
Hi, I want to give the actuator a DIY, however, I cant determine what is the correct part # for the Mabuchi motor for my 2003 GS. I see both FC-280PC-22125 and FC 280PT 22125. Can you help me in choosing the right one?

Thanks
check ur PM. Thanks to LALEX1.
Old 11-09-09, 02:52 PM
wildnphx
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!!!

I just bought my 03 GS430 last week and was bummed when I found that both rear doors were intermittantly working and the cost the dealer wanted was crazy expensive. I found this DIY and I just did my two rear doors and the DIY was excellent! I removed the door handles but instead of a special bent 10mm wrench like I saw someone fabricate I just moved the actuator around enough to get a 10mm socket with extension on the hard to reach bolt for the door handle. That worked great and then once the handle was out everything else slid out with no issues.

Thanks guys this saved a ton of money!! I also replaced my blown sub today as well with a DIY from this site. Pictures are worth a thousand words and in this case probally save me a thousand dollars as well. lol
Old 11-14-09, 06:58 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

You can actually fish out the rear actuators without taking the handle out.
Old 12-03-09, 04:45 PM
kayuwong
Rookie

Default Fix door actuator using Rubbing Alcohol

Thanks to clublexus member for all the detailed instruction. I didn't buy any motor to replace it. I fixed my door actuator using rubbing alcohol method. Popped the motor out and soaked it into rubbing alcohol for couple of minutes. Turned the motor rod while it is dipped into rubbing alcohol. You will see a lot of burnt carbon coming out from the housing. Used compressed air to blow everything out and let it sit inside of the oven for couple more minutes. You will let it dry completely before testing it out with power. This method will save you from buying RC motors from Ebay. Just need little time and patience. Zero dollar coming out from your pocket. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???