GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-09, 09:13 AM
LEXG400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry door lock

Installed a motor in the back passenger door and checked it before putting the panel back on.It locked and unlocked fine,but when I shut the door and locked it.it wouldnt open back up.The tension on the lock is tight and wont unlock the door when I push it back,any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.
Old 12-07-09, 07:35 PM
LEXG400
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LEXG400;5053020]Installed a motor in the back passenger door and checked it before putting the panel back on.It locked and unlocked fine,but when I shut the door and locked it.it wouldnt open back up.The tension on the lock is tight and wont unlock the door when I push it back,any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.[/QUTE]

I was able to get the door open.I went back and checked the motor and found out the plastic housing that holds the motor was not sealed good.The actuator is working fine and now I have three more doors to go.
Old 12-19-09, 06:19 AM
SYNSEI
Driver

Anybody have a pic or a diagram of how the short rod on the actuator connects to the door handle? I see an orange clip for it but not sure if thats all there is to it.

**Edit
Nevermind. I got it, but no luck. Good thing is that now my passenger door is locked and I KNOW it's locked. Bad thing is that it won't lock/unlock automatically. So I'll buy a new actuator and putting it in should be cake.

Last edited by SYNSEI; 12-19-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-27-09, 01:37 PM
Vincenza V
Driver School Candidate

"If you fall into the category of the majority of people out there who depends on their mechanic for everything, then yes replacing the whole actuator would make much more sense. I am no mechanic myself and still depends on my guy for the major 60K and 100K tune up. "--You nailed it right on the head. This DIY is NOT FOR EVERYBODY. It's not hard, but then again I do my own timing belts, motorcycle restorations, etc. I'f you are patient, and read ALL the posts (as in don't need to remove the glass, mirrors, etc.) you can do it.

Tips-
-Have a Dremel with cut off wheel to make the spliting of the actuator a neat clean affair. Use Hobby grave superglue to hold it together instantly so you can put it right back together. I then used epoxy to seal the whole seam. (probably not needed-but I didn't have any silicon handy to weather proof it).

-BEFORE you put everything back together, maunual test the locks by the cables. It they aren't smoothly locking and unlocking the lock, the motor won't either.

-I used a E-flight electric gear puller I had from my r/c planes, the shaft on the puller/pusher wasn't long enough for this really long gear on the motor. Relax, improvise. I cut short 1-2mm section of an Allen Key (you have to use a hard metal like that, any softer metal WILL bend) to give me extra length to push off that long gear. Without it, I feared the force of the puller/pusher compressing the gear itself and breaking it. DON'T use force to get it off or you'll ruin the gear or shaft forcing an re-do.

-Lastly, take many pictures and use the for reference if needed on the installation. You just save some BIG money for a rainy day!

Last edited by Vincenza V; 02-21-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-27-09, 04:50 PM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please can you help. My passenger door opens and locks maunual and with the switch but not with the key. The locks are all the same and the key turns in the lock but nothing happens. The drivers side and the trunk and all the locks are ok. only the passenger side has the problem.
Old 12-31-09, 11:17 PM
WhoYaWitt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone who has put their time and effort into helping us all out. I'm still not sure what the final result was of which motor to use? Do the Ebay ones fit right in and the contacts line up? And did you end up switching the coupling to that motor or how did that work?
Old 01-05-10, 06:18 AM
chocolee
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by TRD911
I have edited this because there has been several questions about finding these motors on EBAY. The seller's name is tag16c and if you are looking for the motors a good place to start your search is "Mabuchi" the part number that we have been using FC 280PT-22125 If you go to Mabuchi website you can also see there are several other that will work but they want you buy quantities that are high, like 10K, there only like 30 cents a piece. I have attached a picture from tag16c 's auction I do not think he would mind. When I look for the auction I start by typing in Mabuchi then look for that picture below that I posted. I hope this helps. I know that this DIY takes a lot of different turns and it can be hard to follow. I have about 10 motors as spares... I hope this helps.

I did my drivers side door lock actuator today. I took several pics. Would anyone be interested in a small write up with several pics? I would hate to invest time in a topic no one would be interested in. Any comments. Do you guys wanna see my pics? I have never done a DIY but I did it myself and it was not toooooo bad. Feedback will help motivate me. Thanks, B
Yes, I would love to see your pics of the door lock install. My rear cargo door lock is begining to fail. I have a 2003 GX470 truck. Where can I find the actuator?

leeflem@comcast.net
Thanks,
Old 01-05-10, 04:45 PM
English66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by English66
Please can you help. My passenger door opens and locks maunual and with the switch but not with the key. The locks are all the same and the key turns in the lock but nothing happens. The drivers side and the trunk and all the locks are ok. only the passenger side has the problem.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem??????
Old 01-07-10, 01:00 PM
English66
Pole Position

Anybody?????? Damm
Old 01-10-10, 02:38 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

How much should I expect to pay a stealership to do this? just wanted an idea

don't have the time for this one, unless someone is local to 07093 and wants the work...
Old 01-14-10, 05:43 PM
Tego1090
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airahcaz
How much should I expect to pay a stealership to do this? just wanted an idea

don't have the time for this one, unless someone is local to 07093 and wants the work...

I just got a quote of $500-600 for my driver's door last week from Lexus of North Miami. A few months ago, Lexus of Pembroke Pines quoted me the same.
Old 01-14-10, 06:33 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tego1090
I just got a quote of $500-600 for my driver's door last week from Lexus of North Miami. A few months ago, Lexus of Pembroke Pines quoted me the same.
Ha ha ha what a rip off. This is an awesome DIY thread. I've yet to do my passenger front.

Last edited by CPMD; 01-14-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 06:54 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

I can't pay that much to the stealership!
Old 01-17-10, 10:40 PM
jimbonuttz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by English66
Does anyone know how to fix this problem??????
take your door panel back off and check the clearance/space of where the manual door lock is...perhaps something is in the way and not allowing the manual door lock to turn over completely

with the door panel off stick your key in the key hole and turn the key as you look inside the door panel to see if you notice anything
Old 01-18-10, 12:23 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

seriously, anyone want to do this work for one rear door, hit me up 07093

I don't mind opening the door manually, except for the fact I have an infant

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???