GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 06:59 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

any one have a link for the motors with the same back im just going to swap out the backs. thanks
Old 04-25-10, 06:45 PM
jonnydclar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My door lock issue is more complicated... need help

Ok so I bought my 99 GS 300 with one broke off key. I bought replacement keys which work fine without programming even though the dealership assures me they won't... i'm guessing it is due to the aftermarket remote which I didn't receive a remote for. I bought a Lexus key with remote but can't program it because of the double pulse half way through the programming.

This was the situation:

With the car off hitting the lock unlock button caused the front locks to work fine but the back ones would just give a little quiver. This meant we sometimes left the car unlocked accidentally and even set off the alarm when we entered through a back door. When the car was running all 4 worked perfectly lock and unlock. I assumed that this was due to the motors dragging and higher voltage (14 vs 12) with the car on. So I bought the motors and switched them out. BTW Great DIY and thanks to everyone who participated.

Current condition:
Back right door works fine in all aspects.
Back left door works fine when voltage is applied to it manually. Bottom two connectors from the module have continuity when it is locked and are open when it is unlocked (or the reverse I can't remember) as expected. Here is the strange part. If the key is not in the ignition the back left door does not even get a pulse (checked with 12v test light). If the key is at the acc. position the door lock gets the pulse and works properly. I've checked the wires coming into the door computer module and can't seem to find any difference in the power coming in. i.e. the only power wire is hot all the time regardless of the key.

So besides asking for advice (especially if anyone has ever seen this before) I'm also taking a poll.
Should I:
1) investigate wiring
2) investigate body ecu (or whatever they call the board on the door)
3) investigate the aftermarket alarm (which I'm scared to touch for fear my keys will stop working
or
4) sell the car and run. I got the car cheap but have spent several thousand dollars fixing electrical issues so far including ABS / booster, alternator, accelerometer position sensor, and more. Should this be the straw the breaks the camel's back? I need all 4 doors to work since I have 2 kids in car seats and all the doors get used regularly.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Jon
Old 04-27-10, 12:00 PM
spooze
Driver

someone listen to my problems please . when i am in the car i push the power lock button to lock the doors. it seems like the switches are barely twitching. like it doesnt have enough power to lock them. when i use my remote to lock the car from the outside sometimes it locks. sometimes it doesnt. when i go to lock the door manually. just the driver door locks. the rest remain unlocked. is it the motor, actuators, seems like there isnt enough power going to the doors. not sure. please help me.
Old 04-27-10, 09:27 PM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any step and pictures show how to remove the motor?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-10, 05:37 PM
jonnydclar
Rookie

Default just twitching

Originally Posted by spooze
someone listen to my problems please . when i am in the car i push the power lock button to lock the doors. it seems like the switches are barely twitching. like it doesnt have enough power to lock them. when i use my remote to lock the car from the outside sometimes it locks. sometimes it doesnt. when i go to lock the door manually. just the driver door locks. the rest remain unlocked. is it the motor, actuators, seems like there isnt enough power going to the doors. not sure. please help me.
Hey Spooze. Sounds like what my back locks were doing. Have you tried hitting the button with the key in the ignition? with the car running? My first guess would be the motors but it does seem strange that all of them are out.

Jon
Old 04-29-10, 09:59 PM
spooze
Driver

are the motors a easy fix? easier than the actuators? i only care about the front doors.
Old 05-01-10, 07:52 AM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

Can you please tell me is this motor parts number same for both( L & R ) side of door?

Thank you
Old 05-02-10, 05:55 PM
jonnydclar
Rookie

Default motors are the same

Originally Posted by kching989
Can you please tell me is this motor parts number same for both( L & R ) side of door?

Thank you
Yes all 4 motors are the same.

Spooze, what do you mean actuators? My understanding is the motor is inside the actuator. The actuator is the entire mechanism sold by Lexus for $200+ and of course you have to get the actuator out first then split it as described in the first few pages of this thread. For a mechanic.... it is an easy job. For someone who has not been inside a door before it might be a weekend project. You will need a few tools (like Torx drivers, vise). This thread does tell you everything you need to know and whatever you screw up should be the part that would get replaced if you buy the part from the dealer anyway.

JC
Old 05-02-10, 08:17 PM
spooze
Driver

thanks man. sometimes my door locks open with the remote button sometimes it doesnt. same when i manualy try to lock and unlock with the key in the hold and the power lock button on the inside. so theres an actuator in each door?
Old 05-03-10, 08:35 AM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

jonnydclar.Thank you very much for your quick response. Have a great day.
Old 05-03-10, 01:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnydclar

Spooze, what do you mean actuators? My understanding is the motor is inside the actuator. The actuator is the entire mechanism sold by Lexus for $200+ and of course you have to get the actuator out first then split it as described in the first few pages of this thread. For a mechanic.... it is an easy job. For someone who has not been inside a door before it might be a weekend project. You will need a few tools (like Torx drivers, vise). This thread does tell you everything you need to know and whatever you screw up should be the part that would get replaced if you buy the part from the dealer anyway.

JC
well said sir....also if anyone is a visual person here is a fairly good step by step video. i actually watched every second of both of them....

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VqGy7_X9MM

and part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZV4xB0806M

i havent done something like this but if the wire loom/epoxy dont work i will be using this video
Old 05-11-10, 03:11 AM
bronx99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody that lives in Socal and have done their doors wanna help with mine? I have the new actuators. I'm located in Fullerton/Bellflower, but can meet up anywhere.

Free dinner at restaurant of your choice.
Old 05-11-10, 09:28 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nguyengs42
Hey Thanks For the DIY! Saved a bunch. Well theres a shortcut to this and some steps can be avoided i just did my front passenger side and it took about and hour or less. If anyone would like, I can make a video and post it on you tube when i do my driver side door next week (just pm me). Just bought a 2pak motor from a fellow member and waiting for shipping. And also btw a motor gear puller come in very handy.
Thanks for making the DIY man

And Brian, thanks for posting it.
Old 05-11-10, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
Thanks for making the DIY man

And Brian, thanks for posting it.
yeah u welcome for me posting it....i did all the hard work, all he did was make it....hahaha

nah j/k im fixing to use it. my manual lock works but i want my auto lock so im gonna replace my whole actuator (i broke my cable)

BTW there is a new actuator for a 98-2000 for sale in the classifieds right now

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...san-diego.html

Last edited by sakataj; 05-11-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 10:04 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah u welcome for me posting it....i did all the hard work, all he did was make it....hahaha

nah j/k im fixing to use it. my manual lock works but i want my auto lock so im gonna replace my whole actuator (i broke my cable)

BTW there is a new actuator for a 98-2000 for sale in the classifieds right now

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...san-diego.html
How much did the actuator go for?? Man I'm going to have to read all 30 pages of this awesome DIY and watch those youtube vids before I tackle this sometime this year when time frees up.

lol, you answered my question in the edit. Hmmm...$140, and thats not even from the dealer...

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???