GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 04:16 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did another one on my car! so easy to do and cost me 10 bucks
Old 09-21-10, 06:50 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD911
I hate that people are trying to rip yall off now that some one showed you how easy it is to do it yourself. These are the same motors at a fraction of the cost.

I am not promoting these and have nothing to do with this auction. I am in SC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-12VDC-Mabuch...item51951a054c

Long time no post. I am glad to see my DIY is still suriving..

BP
This has been a great thread, and I commend you for doing this tremendous research. I found this extremely helpful when I did my motors.

Having said that, I'd be a bit careful with the motor you suggested above. The price is right for sure, but it's not the factory replacement motor. The one you linked above ("nearly identical to FC-280PT-20150") has an output of 32.9 mNm, while the factory one (fc-280pc-22125) has 42.2 mNm - that's almost 30% more torque.

You can get the true factory Mabuchi motor fc-280pc-22125 for ~ $12 on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mabuc...Q5fAccessories). Seems to me that with all the effort involved in getting to and replacing the motor, one might want to splurge and get the correct part for a few bucks more, especially given that it has better performance than the other one.

IMO, of course.
Old 09-22-10, 02:57 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still amazed how fast some people claim to do the whole DIY. I assume if they are using power tools to take off the nuts and bolts and have done it many times..maybe 45min w 15min of that getting inside the actuator to replace the motor.
Old 09-23-10, 08:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsi
this is easily a 15 minute job!!!
Originally Posted by GS430lvr
I'm still amazed how fast some people claim to do the whole DIY. I assume if they are using power tools to take off the nuts and bolts and have done it many times..maybe 45min w 15min of that getting inside the actuator to replace the motor.
yeah i wanted to call shenanigans on quote above where i quoted yours but since i haven't had to do this yet (knock on wood) i don't know for sure if he is full of crap (as some noobs are) of it really is that easy.

i mean it takes me about 3-5 mins to get the door panel off and i have done that MANY of times.... so they get the door actuator out,open it,replace the motor/shaft, and reassemble it in 10 mins? pffffftttt. I'm not saying he didn't or anything, I'm just saying it doesn't sound right

now i can see someone possibly doing it in this time though

Originally Posted by azink769
I did it with my Lexus in 2 hours total time for 3 doors.

that's about 40 mins a door which is believable i would think

Last edited by sakataj; 09-23-10 at 09:27 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-23-10, 08:51 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It took me about 1.5 hours to do mine. It was the first time I did it, and I wanted to take my time and not screw it up. I also ended up epoxying the actuator after reassembly, so that took some more time.

I think that if I did it again and felt (for some unclear to me reason) that I had to race to the finish, I could probably do it 30-45 minutes. Then again, I try to enjoy working on my car and don't look at it as a time trial. I don't get the goal of hurrying to finish something.
Old 09-25-10, 01:08 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you take out the old motor, how do you remove the black metal cover that is on the shaft which connects to the white plastic screw piece. The new motor has a copper "ring" on it though. How do we does this?
Old 09-25-10, 01:29 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
When you take out the old motor, how do you remove the black metal cover that is on the shaft which connects to the white plastic screw piece. The new motor has a copper "ring" on it though. How do we does this?
Are you talking about the gear on the motor?
Old 09-25-10, 02:06 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Not the gear, the little metal bar which actually spins. It has a black metal cover that is on it.
Old 09-25-10, 02:07 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Update, my mechanic replaced the motor and no luck, it still doesn't work. He think the whole actuator assembly is bad. Any suggestions before I have to buy a whole new one?
Old 09-25-10, 02:14 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Update, my mechanic replaced the motor and no luck, it still doesn't work. He think the whole actuator assembly is bad. Any suggestions before I have to buy a whole new one?

I have no clue, but check the motor to see if it spins.
Use a D battery & electrical wire + to one spot on the motor - on the other spot
see if the motor is good
Other then that I have no idea
Old 09-27-10, 01:08 AM
Greenspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am new to this forum. Got myself a nice 1998 GS300 about two months ago. Door actuators needed refreshing and this thread explained the steps really well. Now all the doors are working with keyless entry. However, I can't get the door open manually with the key. Tried passenger side, the same. A lot of resistant and lock won't budge. Just wondering anyone with same problem.
Old 09-27-10, 05:15 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

most likely when you reconnected the key back to the actuator, it wasn't right... it must be binding on something... you should take it apart and reassemble...
Old 09-27-10, 02:35 PM
ShihTzu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to this thread, I was finally got my new door lock motors and it works great.....

Take out that motor and make sure the 2 pins that goes into the motor isn't bent, I made that mistake by not putting the motor in evenly...

Originally Posted by Greenspeed
Hi,
I am new to this forum. Got myself a nice 1998 GS300 about two months ago. Door actuators needed refreshing and this thread explained the steps really well. Now all the doors are working with keyless entry. However, I can't get the door open manually with the key. Tried passenger side, the same. A lot of resistant and lock won't budge. Just wondering anyone with same problem.
Just like kamlung said, you probably didn't reinstall the actuator correctly, there's a ball joint looking thing and a stubby post that needs to go in it's proper place.....
Old 09-29-10, 09:05 PM
warfrik
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to this thread. I did my the rear passenger side. Took me 2 hrs since it was my first time doing it. Saved me a trip to the mechanic.
Old 09-30-10, 07:56 AM
Doneve79
Driver

Originally Posted by Greenspeed
Hi,
Actually, i have the same probl w my driver door. The key wont open it due to when i replaced the actuator, somehow the spring slipped out & cldnt figure how to put it back in. Now, i think i hv to buy the whole actuator kit for tht door.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???