GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 11:21 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamLexus
what is the tool called to pull the shaft off the motor? where can i get one, i couldnt find one on ebay like in the video? lockra gear puller or something?
Yes, it's called a gear puller. I got mine off ebay; you can go to your local hobby store and ask them. They can order it for you.
Old 01-24-11, 08:18 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of a gear puller, you might try holding the motor by using a wire stripper. Put the motor shaft into the correct size wire stripper slot. Tight enough to almost touch the shaft and loose enough to not grab it.

IF -- I remember correctly, I used a broken 5/32 drill bit as the punch. I touched the end of the broken bit with a grinder to flatten the jagged break to make a flat punch surface. You could probably flatten the point of a nail to make a similar punch. Then I opened my vise to allow the motor to hang loose between the jaws by suspending the wire cutter cross wise to the vise. Tap the punch gently and the motor should drop through the vise.

There are two surfaces on the wire stripper. One is flat and the other is tapered. It is better to use the flat side of the wire stripper as the gear back up. That way the tapping will not wedge the stripper open.

ELSE--, get the gear puller.

DrDan
Old 01-24-11, 08:26 AM
tag16c
Driver School Candidate

A pair of linemans pliers works well just do not grip too tight.
I use my drill press to hold a 2.5 mm bit backwards to press the gear off.
Just be sure the motor will rotate on the shaft the whole time or you can distroy the motor bushings.
Old 01-24-11, 11:15 AM
nguyengs42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 9mmaristo
This is a hour job per door at best with the right tools, and a beer in hand. U dont have to remove the window or the speaker.
Im goin to have to disagreee i went slow when doing the video and it took me nowhere near an hour maybe if its ur first time but after u do it once a good 30 minutes should take care of it
Old 01-24-11, 01:33 PM
dl11
Driver

Don't know who said it but whoever said to pull on the inside handle before pulling out the actuator unit, good call. Made pulling it out quite easy.
Old 01-27-11, 11:51 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Did this tonight. Took about 1.5 hours... looking back I could do it in 30.

I did the driverside rear. Dremeled the case to split it. Put the wire cutter piece of a set of pliers under the key on the shaft. Pinched the pliers with vice grips. Set the pliers on a curb, tapped a drill bit with a hammer on the spline. Popped it right off.

Done and done.

The video helped.
Old 01-28-11, 03:01 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Replaced the DC motor on my passenger side actuator and it was pretty easy to do, took about 45 minutes, works flawlessly.

Well, kinda flawlessly! When you look the passenger door it sounds like the DC motor keeps spinning for a split second after the door locks. Is there an adjustment for this?
Old 01-30-11, 02:37 AM
McCloud
Driver School Candidate

What a great thread! Lots of great photos! Thanks!
Old 02-02-11, 03:19 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

so i read this and really can't determine if you guys ordered the fc-280pc-22125 (one without the brass fitting on top)or the fc-280pt-22125 (one with the brass fitting on the shaft) I am in need of 7 motors and I just want to make sure I purchase the right motors. If anyone has any that they want to sell let me know. Otherwise I will be ordering it from ebay once I find out which I should purchase. Thanks.
Old 02-03-11, 09:39 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

This is exactly what I bought and it worked 100%

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1168&viewitem=
Old 02-06-11, 07:30 PM
AdamLexus
Pole Position

my advice...just take the blankety blank door handle off. so much easier than trying to take it off inside the door. oh yeah, and removing the bottom window guide piece helps too trying to get that pos outta there. I think if i do it again im just buying the damn assembly, i butchered the **** out of the housing with the dremel. but, the locks work awesome now. gotta do the rears tomorrow....
Old 02-07-11, 01:20 AM
alexdan
Driver

why don't most people just do this...
works for rear doors and front passenger door (confirmed and working just fine) as for the front driver door (which in my case is the issue) we are still trying to figure out if it will work to use an Avalon driver door actuator... any input ...please jump in ..

Link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-actuator.html
Old 02-07-11, 08:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdan
why don't most people just do this...
works for rear doors and front passenger door (confirmed and working just fine) as for the front driver door (which in my case is the issue) we are still trying to figure out if it will work to use an Avalon driver door actuator... any input ...please jump in ..

Link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-actuator.html
probably cause MOST of us havent heard it and the rest are just my thoughts.

no offense to the OP but we tend to believe people when others have also tried it and done it. as i said no offense to the OP but he hasnt been here long enough for most of us to know him or to trust this info. its great info if it works with no issue but i would personally hold out till someone else (a older reputable member) verifies it we have had newer members come in and post info thats not true AND NO IM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HE'S DOING.
Old 02-07-11, 02:01 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Why pay anything more than replacing the motor? It's too easy to throw away $80.
Old 02-08-11, 03:41 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

finished all 4 doors yesterday, work like a champ now, i was able to program my keyless entry also on the first try and i felt like i won the lottery when everything worked! what an awesome fix for something that could be really expensive if there wasnt another way than replacing the whole lock assy! btw, these new motors are hardcore! It sounds like a shotgun when they lock and unlock lol. jk.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???