GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 09:26 AM
heyjay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have pictures and some hints to replacing that lock actuator?
Thanks much!
Old 02-09-11, 10:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by heyjay
Do you still have pictures and some hints to replacing that lock actuator?
Thanks much!
SERIOUSLY?

y do all u noobs just skip straight to the end and post a ? that if you read the thread would find out on your own. yeah i understand its a long thread but it has useful info in it...READ IT, its worth the long wait

pics start in post # 12 and some place in this thread i posted a awesome video someone made going through every step

welcome to the club but next time please just read the post

Last edited by sakataj; 02-09-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 04:30 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

alright, I've tried to replace the actuators today and when all was said and done...still didn't work. I know my switch is working because the door that is actually still unlocking by key etc....is working. I used a voltmeter to catch the trigger wire on the actuator and it seems to have power and throw trigger. motor still doesn't work. pulled assembly back out, tested the motor with 12v source, motor spins like a champ. Keep in mind that the wiring in the doors has never been tampered with no splicing nor cutting). any ideas? tempted to buy an actuator just to see if it solves...any help is appreciated!
Old 02-11-11, 05:39 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

motor still doesn't work. pulled assembly back out, tested the motor with 12v source, motor spins like a champ.
Did you check if the gears, rods, cams, and levers in the actuators have plenty of grease and the cable is free to move back and forth? Is the actuator wire showing continuity to the motor side cables and motor contact tabs are making good contact with the actuator side contacts? Since the unit is a reduction gear system, smallest of dirt/sand or lack of grease can present just enough resistance to prevent it from spinning.

If you do get a new actuator, all is not a waste, since you seem to have done enough DIY and investigation to the point that you almost know that the old one was aged beyond repairs. So feel good about that too, if it comes to that.

Have fun! Happy Motoring buddy!
Old 02-11-11, 05:46 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by motohide
Did you check if the gears, rods, cams, and levers in the actuators have plenty of grease and the cable is free to move back and forth? Is the actuator wire showing continuity to the motor side cables and motor contact tabs are making good contact with the actuator side contacts? Since the unit is a reduction gear system, smallest of dirt/sand or lack of grease can present just enough resistance to prevent it from spinning.

If you do get a new actuator, all is not a waste, since you seem to have done enough DIY and investigation to the point that you almost know that the old one was aged beyond repairs. So feel good about that too, if it comes to that.

Have fun! Happy Motoring buddy!
Lol, I will test the connection tabs to the motors when it's not so cold out and I have more time. I'm starting to think the contact is messed up or something. There is no sound at all on the actuator (pulled out the actuator and listened). Only thing I can think of right now is that somehow from the harness to the motor there may be a break there, I just didn't feel like taking everything apart again to try it. I will go back at it Sunday in more depth to see what the problem really is I guess.
Old 02-11-11, 05:58 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vnguyen850
Lol, I will test the connection tabs to the motors when it's not so cold out and I have more time. I'm starting to think the contact is messed up or something. There is no sound at all on the actuator (pulled out the actuator and listened). Only thing I can think of right now is that somehow from the harness to the motor there may be a break there, I just didn't feel like taking everything apart again to try it. I will go back at it Sunday in more depth to see what the problem really is I guess.
Now that you mentioned its cold as well, I'm starting to suspect the gear assembly getting stiff with worn parts and misaligned gears all contributing with stiff grease and other factors? Yeah go check when its warmer though, since there is no reason to be freezing yourself right now.
Old 02-12-11, 03:33 PM
Golfson
Driver School Candidate

are there pictures or video on how to fix the actuator?

JUST KIDDING GUYS!! i've read all 43 pages already! i'm a noob here in club Lexus but not in forums!

first of all, great thread! Thank you very much for those who've inputed information!

second, i do have a question, i really didn't notice anyone confirming this (maybe you did and i missed it? i apologize in advance.), those motors looks the same in those Tamiya slot cars, will it work or do i have to purchase the exact one you guys mentioned before? 'cause i've still got about 10 of those sitting around from 15 years ago, if it works than i can make good use of it.

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-14-11, 09:01 AM
vnguyen850
Driver

Originally Posted by Golfson
are there pictures or video on how to fix the actuator?

JUST KIDDING GUYS!! i've read all 43 pages already! i'm a noob here in club Lexus but not in forums!

first of all, great thread! Thank you very much for those who've inputed information!

second, i do have a question, i really didn't notice anyone confirming this (maybe you did and i missed it? i apologize in advance.), those motors looks the same in those Tamiya slot cars, will it work or do i have to purchase the exact one you guys mentioned before? 'cause i've still got about 10 of those sitting around from 15 years ago, if it works than i can make good use of it.

Thanks again guys!
all the motors look the same. I went to a local hobby shop and tried to see if that route work as well. Turned out that the terminal for the ones they had were different. They had the touch contact as for the ones we need needed the slip in (wedged) terminal. (does that make sense?)
Old 02-15-11, 03:00 PM
vnguyen850
Driver

Okay, so I went back into the actuator and tested for trigger pulse in the actuator itself. I put a voltmeter probe on ground, and then one touching the Negative terminal on the motor, hit lock, shows pulse of a quick 11v or so. No movement on the motor though, changed motor, same thing.

This is the tricky part. I decided to grab a short piece of wire and then grounded one side, tapped it to the negative terminal of the motor directly on the motor, hit lock, needless to say it scared the ***** out of me. motor spun under lock.

Now could this be that the door ecu is at fault? Please advise, I'm lost. Keep in mind that I do have 1 door that's working and I hear the lock and unlock everytime I press the button on the handle. Thanks
Old 02-19-11, 08:38 AM
bogie54
Driver School Candidate

I have tried numerous times to get the actuator to work with the new motor. It will work with the inside door locks but it will not work with the the key fob. If you disconnect the the actuator with the new motor the key fob will work again.
Once you hook up the actuator with the new motor, remote no longer works on any door or the trunk. I am totally baffled by this, doesn't make sense.

My wife likes the remote so i disconnected the actuator with the new motor and she locks the passenger door by manual lock. I have tried 2 different motors and have had the same result. Any ideas on how to rectify the situation would be appreciated. The car is a 2003 GS 300.
Thanks in advance,
bogie54

Last edited by bogie54; 02-19-11 at 08:42 AM. Reason: layout
Old 02-19-11, 06:45 PM
2gsfowner
Pole Position

YESHH.>! i just did my diver side . I changed the motor and it worked perfecto. Yesh. it costed me under $9 to fix my acutuator. what a steal. ...
BTW. Thanks to all the infos. you guys are great.

Always remember to unplug the power window. and have your key in your pocket while doing this DIY.

Good luck to all.

Slow Cuz It's Low
Old 02-20-11, 07:55 PM
LEXG400
Driver School Candidate

Default Actuator gs400

I have replaced all the motors on my gs400 with the help of this website,thanks.I did have a problem with my back left door not opening from the inside or out and had to go back in to find the problem.While checking the actuator I broke the the arm off that locks the door.There is a wedsite that sells the casing with the motor already in it.I installed it and it works great.I paid about $91 for it.It"s still cheaper than buying the whole assembly.The part# was DLA-219 STANDARD MOTOR PARTS.You might be able to get it from NAPA auto parts but its about $109.I ordered mine online from autopartnerds.com.They sent it in a few days but they do not respond to your email or phone calls which is very aggravating so check around.I thought this may be helpful if you have a problem with the casing because it is brittle.
Old 02-22-11, 12:24 PM
cotteng
Driver School Candidate

The remote door lock works though the window control panel. By taking out the driver's door window control panel and working the electrical connector to clean off the corrosion, I was able to get my remote door locks to work again. it takes about 45 minutes, is easy and is free.

See pictures here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post6167100
Old 02-28-11, 11:45 AM
Golfson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vnguyen850
all the motors look the same. I went to a local hobby shop and tried to see if that route work as well. Turned out that the terminal for the ones they had were different. They had the touch contact as for the ones we need needed the slip in (wedged) terminal. (does that make sense?)
It makes perfect sense! Thanks!
Old 03-08-11, 11:53 PM
Philthy29
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up... I love how it seems all rear actuators are always trashed.. Mine and two of my buddies are. Wonder why they crap out, should be a recall, or is there?

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???