GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 09:05 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used the replacement eBay motor and replaced it myself in about 1 1/2 hours taking my time.

Been using it for the last 2 or 3 months with no issues. Pretty pumped I fixed the actuator for like 6$. Ordered an extra motor too so I have a spare.
Old 04-14-11, 03:23 PM
Whitneyvet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 GS 300 Right front door actuator repair
- Took less than an hour; due to the excellent postings and video on this site, I had confidence in replacing the motor only vice the entire actuator assembly; purchased the motor on e-Bay per previous postings; pretty straightforward; just don’t force any connections or clips and follow the YouTube video except:
- no need to remove speaker or mirror or window; per previous posts, raise the window all the way up when you begin and before you disconnect power; you will eventually unbolt only the lower right side window track per the video, before removing the actuator assembly; just pivot the track up and out of the way to remove the door handle mechanical actuators
- leave the key in the ignition to avoid activating security alarm – no need to disconnect the battery
-After eight years of hot garages and California living, the plastic actuator case in my GS 300 had become quite brittle and care was needed in separating the two halves of the clamshell assembly. I cut a groove w/ a thin-kerf saw and then used a utility knife to very gently work around the entire tongue and groove clamshell assembly to separate the two halves and gain access to the motor; ensure any shavings or fragments are removed prior to re-assembly to prevent jamming the gears and to ensure a tight fit of the clamshell halves.
- Before removing the gear from the shaft, note the distance between the gear and the motor housing and replicate that when you assemble the replacement motor and gear
-Per previous posts, a min-gear puller is not necessary; hold the gear w/ a set of needle nose pliers across a vise, and drive the shaft out w/ a drill bit or sawed-off allen wrench
-Tap the shaft gear onto the new motor shaft matching the distance between the gear and the housing from the original motor assembly
-Before closing the actuator clam shell, check again for any casing fragments that might jam the gear and check to ensure the shaft turns freely
-Because of the potential for similar motor failures in the future, I used hot glue vice epoxy to join the two halves of the clam shell
- Re-assembly is straightforward and doesn’t require Part 3 of the video: re-install the actuator assembly and make the power connections before bolting the actuator in place; connect the door lock mechanical actuators to their respective clips in the door handle and then bolt the door handle in place; re-attach the window track and proceed w/ re-connecting the actuator cables, the electrical connections, and, finally, re-installing the door panel, working from left to right

Good luck!
Old 04-28-11, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Anyone local in Atlanta done this? Wanna do mine? Let me know we can work something out.
Old 04-29-11, 01:25 PM
ksultan78
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Anyone local in Atlanta done this? Wanna do mine? Let me know we can work something out.
dont know if its the same kinda deal with the 3gs
Old 05-10-11, 05:37 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

I just ordered the motor for my actuator... does anyone know where to get the gear puller? i cant find it on ebay
Old 05-12-11, 02:24 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

nevermind i found it. Cant wait to get this in so that way i can fix my door

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walkera-Universa...82818929092825
Old 05-12-11, 10:10 PM
jonjonn
Driver School Candidate

awesome thread! i got 3 actuators that aren't working... -_____-
Old 05-25-11, 01:11 PM
komar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see the actual part number listed for the "ebay" motor search. i found several at the auction site from ~$7.00 each shipped

MABUCHI FC280PC-22125
MABUCHI FC280PT-22125

ordering today hope to have here soon to report back progress
Old 05-25-11, 10:55 PM
jepoy3227
Driver School Candidate

Default anybody in san gabiel valley who can do the actuator for cheap?

my rear right passenger side not working, it's hard to drop off the kids in school at the curb, i had to step out the car to open the door for them. please help thanks.
Old 05-27-11, 05:52 AM
SonnyDeLyt
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help in NoVA/DC/MD

Can anyone in the VA/DC/MD area help me replace my passenger front actuator? The dealerships and shops in the area are all estimating $750-$800!!! Please help-thanks!!!
Old 05-29-11, 11:32 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

Originally Posted by jepoy3227
my rear right passenger side not working, it's hard to drop off the kids in school at the curb, i had to step out the car to open the door for them. please help thanks.
It's not difficult. If you can turn a screwdriver you can do it. Buy the motors and follow the tutorial. It's straight forward. Good luck
Old 05-29-11, 03:43 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

They are easy to do with the right tools. For the rear door handles a flexible ratcheting wrench is a must and if you have small hands this may be a challenge.
Old 05-31-11, 02:07 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

ok so i just did it and my doors arent working with my remote. like none of them. also my key wont lock or unlock that door manually. any ideas whats wrong?
Old 06-04-11, 08:33 PM
TimWalker
Rookie

I ordered 2 motors off ebay from the seller "zinky86" part number Fc-280pt-22125 for both front doors and they work great. I bought a gear puller from a hobby shop that made it very easy do the switch. Each door only took about 30 minutes total and was much easier than I expected. I used a razer blade to help open the case by slowly cutting around the edges so I didn't break anything. Thanks a lot for the diy it saved us all a lot of money.
Old 06-06-11, 02:11 PM
komar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by komar
I didn't see the actual part number listed for the "ebay" motor search. i found several at the auction site from ~$7.00 each shipped

MABUCHI FC280PC-22125
MABUCHI FC280PT-22125

ordering today hope to have here soon to report back progress
I did my rear pass side door Friday afternoon. Only one razor blade mishap while slicing the case open. Added bulb grease to the contacts, getting the indexed piece off the old motor proved hardest part for me. I used super glue to put case back together, being careful not to get glue on the worm gear.

thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???