GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 12:07 PM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE TO DIY: You do not have to take the window or window trim or speaker out. After you take out the door handle, plug the window switch back in and raise the window and then unplug it back. On the lower part of the door, close to the inside T-30 bolt(circled in blue) you will see a 10mm screw(circled in red) for the lower window track, take that out and just move the track to the side out of the way. Now take out the other 3 T-30 bolts that hold the acutuator on and unplug the 2 plugs and pull it out. That's it, now do the reverse and put it back in.
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-door-pic.jpg  
Old 06-12-11, 10:03 PM
samster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a question if anyone ever had this problem or can think of reasons why, that would be very helpful because i'm stomped. I've tried to remove and reinstall, tried to unplug individual actuators on individual doors but same problem still, i have repaired 3 of my actuator like this on my 300 and everything ended up fine, but when i done my friends gs400 today all the doors lock fine, but when it comes to unlocking they unlock fine but the actuator would go through a second cycle of unlocking like a second right after, would that be programmable? or is one of his door modules shot? ohh and when i try to unlock his door with the key it only unlocks the driver's door on first unlock and if your unlock again the passenger doors don't unlock, which is also weird. Any help would be greatly appreciated but tested every single door with the actuators unplugged thinking maybe one of them was causing it to unlock? but i couldn't narrow it down.
Old 06-13-11, 06:30 AM
TimWalker
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samster
i have a question if anyone ever had this problem or can think of reasons why, that would be very helpful because i'm stomped. I've tried to remove and reinstall, tried to unplug individual actuators on individual doors but same problem still, i have repaired 3 of my actuator like this on my 300 and everything ended up fine, but when i done my friends gs400 today all the doors lock fine, but when it comes to unlocking they unlock fine but the actuator would go through a second cycle of unlocking like a second right after, would that be programmable? or is one of his door modules shot? ohh and when i try to unlock his door with the key it only unlocks the driver's door on first unlock and if your unlock again the passenger doors don't unlock, which is also weird. Any help would be greatly appreciated but tested every single door with the actuators unplugged thinking maybe one of them was causing it to unlock? but i couldn't narrow it down.
It sounds to me that one of the motors is not working or not working good enough to fully lock one of the doors since the car thinks one of the doors is still not locked it Is trying to relock that door. My gs400 used to due that untill I fixed the motors and now it just locks once.
Old 06-13-11, 06:34 AM
TimWalker
Rookie

Originally Posted by English66
UPDATE TO DIY: You do not have to take the window or window trim or speaker out. After you take out the door handle, plug the window switch back in and raise the window and then unplug it back. On the lower part of the door, close to the inside T-30 bolt(circled in blue) you will see a 10mm screw(circled in red) for the lower window track, take that out and just move the track to the side out of the way. Now take out the other 3 T-30 bolts that hold the acutuator on and unplug the 2 plugs and pull it out. That's it, now do the reverse and put it back in.
There is no reason to have the window down in the first place I did both front doors and never rolled the window down at all
Old 06-13-11, 07:39 AM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimWalker
It sounds to me that one of the motors is not working or not working good enough to fully lock one of the doors since the car thinks one of the doors is still not locked it Is trying to relock that door. My gs400 used to due that untill I fixed the motors and now it just locks once.

i took the actuators off one at a time in order to try to break down the problem but it still did the double unlocking and it's exactly like that doubling unlocking like how it would double lock or unlock if the module thinks that the command wasn't fully pulled through, but all the doors lock and unlock smoothly? and very powerfully now with the new motors installed and i tried to troubleshoot them one at a time and i couldn't get them to not at anytime double unlock even testing one at a time on the door, which after thinking about it i was really going to point at either door module or maybe master control? really stomped
Old 06-13-11, 09:02 AM
English66
Pole Position

There is no reason to have the window down in the first place I did both front doors and never rolled the window down at all
You know that and I know that, but people who read DIY do not know. If you read the DIY, he tell's you to take off the window trim, window, side view glass, and speaker. The first word in my reply was UPDATE. to let people know there is a better way. Please learn to READ before typing
Old 06-13-11, 01:51 PM
TimWalker
Rookie

Originally Posted by English66
You know that and I know that, but people who read DIY do not know. If you read the DIY, he tell's you to take off the window trim, window, side view glass, and speaker. The first word in my reply was UPDATE. to let people know there is a better way. Please learn to READ before typing
Lol, there are several posts stating that you don't need to roll the window down throughout this thread i have read all 45 pages but your right some people don't read anymore than the first post. In your post you said to connect the window switch to roll the window up and I was just stating that I did not understand the reason for having it down in the first place. Also I was not putting you down in anyway and am sorry if it sounded that way maybe I misunderstood your post
Old 06-13-11, 01:56 PM
TimWalker
Rookie

Originally Posted by samster
i took the actuators off one at a time in order to try to break down the problem but it still did the double unlocking and it's exactly like that doubling unlocking like how it would double lock or unlock if the module thinks that the command wasn't fully pulled through, but all the doors lock and unlock smoothly? and very powerfully now with the new motors installed and i tried to troubleshoot them one at a time and i couldn't get them to not at anytime double unlock even testing one at a time on the door, which after thinking about it i was really going to point at either door module or maybe master control? really stomped
Just a thought but maybe needs an adjustment where the cable connects to the lock switch on the door panel. Maybe it not letting it go far enough. Sounds unlikly but just a thought that crossed my mind good luck
Old 06-13-11, 04:34 PM
English66
Pole Position

Just a thought but maybe needs an adjustment where the cable connects to the lock switch on the door panel. Maybe it not letting it go far enough. Sounds unlikly but just a thought that crossed my mind good luck
No problem, we all good. Just was trying to look out for the other members who might be scared to do the DIY
Old 06-13-11, 09:36 PM
samster
Pole Position

when i tried to check each door individually yesterday, i had all the door panels off while doing the troubleshooting so thats out of the picture. I'm really starting to think it's either both the front doors becasue i don't recall it doing that when i tested the rear and i did the rear first. But i guess if thats not the case it's most likely the door module. ohh yeah on more thing does anyone know how many times that clock spring is suppose to be whined up? i tried to remove the casing back out to see if it was getting jammed on the inside of one of them and the wheel/gear thing spun out i put it back in and spun it twice and it seems like good enough tension for it. lol did anyone also spun out the clock spring? i think i've read that slickgt or trd or someone did that in one of the orignal posts but im not sure if their still around here anymore. thanks but keep them coming! i aint giving up until someone points fingers at teh modules, prolly going to check them all again this weekend if it's nice out.
Old 06-14-11, 05:41 AM
jolsamuel
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Does anyone knows how this goes?

Originally Posted by TRD911
Case with gears and NO motor
I opened my driver's side door on my GS and when I was taking the little motor out this round gear with the spring came off and I have been trying to put it the way it was with no luck. Without it in the right position the door will not open. Does anyone know how to put the little spring with the gear back on?
Old 06-14-11, 11:59 AM
hmt
Rookie

So front and rear are using the same motor (FC 280PC 22125)? There's no difference between front and rear. My front driver and rear passenger are bad, so I want to by both at the same time. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by komar
I did my rear pass side door Friday afternoon. Only one razor blade mishap while slicing the case open. Added bulb grease to the contacts, getting the indexed piece off the old motor proved hardest part for me. I used super glue to put case back together, being careful not to get glue on the worm gear.

thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-16-11, 02:24 AM
GS671
Rookie

Originally Posted by jolsamuel
I opened my driver's side door on my GS and when I was taking the little motor out this round gear with the spring came off and I have been trying to put it the way it was with no luck. Without it in the right position the door will not open. Does anyone know how to put the little spring with the gear back on?
I just did my rear locks, and didn't know that there was a spring on the gear. and unwound it. If you look at the bottom part of the case, there should be a plastic tab, each end of the spring goes on the opposite direction of the tab. I know that its hard to understand but if you can provide a pic of the case I can show you how. My case is already glued back on.
Old 06-16-11, 12:49 PM
lightVIP
Driver School Candidate

i just finished with mines.i got all 4 done!!! and also changed the handles and installed my chrome ones. and everything is good now> im at pro at it. thanks to all of those who actually took the time to transfer the info to all of the CL member. great review now to the car wash. by the way i got oem white dooor handles and trunk bar for sale now lol
Old 06-17-11, 10:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

sucks!!!!!!! My passenger door's lock JUST stopped working!!! I knew something was wrong when my lights was flashing when i tried to lock the door. damn it!

I just saw a video on youtube...if it details that much effort, I will just reach over and lock my door sheesh

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 06-17-11 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???