GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 04:40 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Sc300jz,

Yes I didn't take out the bolt that keeps the window track in place. So after I took out that bolt everything was loose and came out easily. Had to crack open the plastic casing using flat head and hammer. =( I hope moisture doesn't get into the casing now that its not seal tight anymore. I put electrical tape around the opening to seal the cracks but dunno if that will be enough. Couldn't have done it without this tread.

Thanks OP!!
Old 06-03-12, 02:52 AM
Jonb42
Driver

Default Door lock acturator explanation

I definitely find it helpfully helpful. I just purchased a 98 and the passenger front one needs to be done. I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out. But information or pics would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 06-03-12, 02:59 AM
Jonb42
Driver

Default Bought whole actuator

I didn't know that you could take the assembly. I just ordered the hole front door assembly from Sewell. It was 300 n change. I feel like a moron. Lol. Did I make a mistake or not. What do you think?
Old 06-03-12, 07:23 AM
Phantom300
Rookie

Jonb43,
You can take the actuator door assembly out of the door. Then you would just pry open the assembly and replace the tiny RC motor inside. Some people do buy the whole assembly but I think most people just buy the motor itself on ebay for like $6 bucks.
Old 06-03-12, 09:31 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Anyone located in Houston would like to do this for me lol? I'll pay if you have experience with changing this. My front pass door is bad.
Old 06-04-12, 07:33 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

Damn I will do that if you were in Virginia.
Old 07-01-12, 01:03 AM
Jonb42
Driver

I was able to remove the actuator without removing the window regulator. I removed the window and rolled the window up a little so I could slide the actuator out of them hole below it.
Old 07-02-12, 01:47 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom300
Jonb43,
You can take the actuator door assembly out of the door. Then you would just pry open the assembly and replace the tiny RC motor inside. Some people do buy the whole assembly but I think most people just buy the motor itself on ebay for like $6 bucks.
Got a link?
Old 07-02-12, 02:07 PM
david6249
Driver School Candidate

Default actuator

replaced my n/s/f actuator motor[£11 incl p&p for 2] and did this for the 1st time in just over an hour...i used a modellers knife to carefully prise the plastic apart which took 10mins..take your time and it will come apart...used a clear silicon to stop water getting in has the 2 screws prevent it from seperating when fitted..nice to have all working properly now...only did the job thanx to this site and this write up so many thanx to all who imputted on this popular subject...david
Old 07-05-12, 07:41 PM
Kyanite
Driver School Candidate

This was surprisingly easier than I thought. I replaced the entire actuator though, not just the little motor. Took about 45 minutes from start to finish. Definitely helped to do some research before hand though, and now my door is locking/unlocking with the key fob perfectly!

Thanks CL!
Old 07-05-12, 10:36 PM
Ldog22
Driver School Candidate

I just had to mention this in case nobody has. My door locks worked perfect with my key fob until I replaced the battery. Soon after I noticed my passenger's side front door lock wouldn't work. (in my 2000 GS300). I was researching how to replace the actuator for several days. Then I unhooked the battery in my 2003 GS300 to reset the check engine light after replacing the TPS and soon after doing that the driver's door wouldn't lock with my key fob. I knew this could not just be a coincidince. I found some info on door locks needing to be re-synced. I got in my car and closed the doors. I put the key in the ignition and turned it to on (didn't start the car), then turned the key back to "lock" and left it in the ignition. I manually made sure all doors were locked (the back driver's side door wouldn't lock with the switch on the door) even though it was the front driver's side that wouldn't work from outside the car with the key fob. I pressed the switch on the door to lock the locks(yes, after I manually locked them) then used it to unlock the locks and suddenly the locks all unlocked and the left blinker flashed twice to show that something happened. I got out of the car and used the fob and all the locks worked perfect. I tried numerous variations of this, but I think it was this one that worked. It worked in both cars even though I had to fiddle with doors locked then unlocked and turning the key to on then back to lock. If you see the left blinker blink twice you know you did it right. So before you replace the actuator make sure it's not as simple as re-sync ing the locks.
Old 07-12-12, 07:34 PM
Scudkid
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading this topic for the last few hours and want to be certain replacing the motors is my problem I have 2 doors the drivers door and the passenger rear door that will not lock by either the fob or the drivers door panel. They will unlock after i have locked them manually.

Thanks to all the information in this post I feel comfortable trying to replace the motors myself.
Old 07-13-12, 07:40 AM
RedRXer
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 300 F. Passenger Actuator

I know this may seem silly, but is it roughly the same for all 4 doors? I need to do the front passenger side.
Old 07-17-12, 07:29 PM
Drewha
Driver School Candidate

Default door locks not working

May be a stupid Question,But is this why my doors wont lock with the remote or the electric door switch
Old 07-17-12, 09:45 PM
willgs
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for this DIY! Used it with the youtube video and made my life so much easier.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???