GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS Lights (HIDs) question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07 | 08:14 AM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Default GS Lights (HIDs) question.

Looking to get HID kit for the GS. My question is:

1. What is the stock GS HID color? 4200K 4300K, 6000K?

I like how the stock HID looks on the GS and would like to be as close to it as possible.

Thank You.
Old 06-25-07 | 08:17 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Every factory car with HID is has a bulb in the 4200-4500K range. The most common is a 4300k.
Old 06-25-07 | 08:28 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

If you get a replacement lamp for a RX330 they come with 85122+ (5000k) to help match the color shifted stock 85122 (4300k). So yes, most new cars come with 4300k-4500k, but a new light might not.
Old 06-25-07 | 01:02 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KiPod
If you get a replacement lamp for a RX330 they come with 85122+ (5000k) to help match the color shifted stock 85122 (4300k). So yes, most new cars come with 4300k-4500k, but a new light might not.
Ive got 85122+ bulbs in my ls430 retro and they are not 5000k the are the same as my 4300k Phillips bulbs the 85122+ are more resistant to color shifting I should know cause Ive been running them all day to burn out some of the yellow for the past 4 months and there is barely any change you might be refering to the 85122cm bulbs they are about 4800k and the cm stands for colormatched but they are kind of rare not too many places in the states carry them

Last edited by smuv gs3; 06-25-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-25-07 | 01:20 PM
lx4life
Pole Position

I personally like the output of 6000k, but no higher.
Old 06-25-07 | 01:37 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lx4life
I personally like the output of 6000k, but no higher.
Get the 6000k ultinon bulbs made by phillips and stay awy from those cheap *** sushi bulbs on ebay
Old 06-25-07 | 01:55 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smuv gs3
Ive got 85122+ bulbs in my ls430 retro and they are not 5000k the are the same as my 4300k Phillips bulbs the 85122+ are more resistant to color shifting I SHOULD KNOW cause Ive been running them all day to burn out some of the yellow for the past 4 months and there is barely any change you might be refering to the 85122cm bulbs they are about 4800k and the cm stands for colormatched but they are kind of rare not too many places in the states carry them
Do your homework before you say "I should know". Ive used 85122s & 85122+s in my LS retro as well. The 85122+ is a 5000K bulb designed to color match a used 85122 bulb. If your 85122 goes and you put in a new 85122 the colors will be way off. Thats why they started puting the 85122+ in the replacement housings you buy from Lexus. Just trying to put facts out there instead of opinions.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=85122
Old 06-25-07 | 08:34 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Do your homework before you say "I should know". Ive used 85122s & 85122+s in my LS retro as well. The 85122+ is a 5000K bulb designed to color match a used 85122 bulb. If your 85122 goes and you put in a new 85122 the colors will be way off. Thats why they started puting the 85122+ in the replacement housings you buy from Lexus. Just trying to put facts out there instead of opinions.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=85122
No homework for me HOMIE and I think I SHOULD KNOW what is in my car just like you should know whats in yours .But before you try to EINSTEIN me like Im a professional dumb **** read the link CAREFULLY and SLOWLY before you post it .Because if you look carefully Hidplanet stated that THE BULBS ARE BRIGHTER . So please elaborate or shall I do it for ya colorshifted bulbs lose their lumens over time and lumens equate to brightness right ? Osram bulbs when colorshifted look pinkish in about 4 to 5 years need any proof look at a Acura TL 1st gen and Im sure every one has seen a 2000 S-Class with one blue light and one semi- normal that is what you call color shift/ 85122+ would never match a colorshifted bulb because it has more lumens .But since Im a dumb *** according to you Im far from being a newbie to retrofits so I know changing one bulb would be like changing you front drivers side brake pad and I did not change the front passenger side but that is just me the dumb ***
Old 06-25-07 | 08:45 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

You both know ... so It looked as if everyone now knows ..
Old 06-25-07 | 08:57 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

There are a few commonly misunderstood things about colorshifting. The correct definition is when a bulb has reached about 1000hours+ of burn time and the 4300k changes to around 4600-4800k or so. It should stay at that level for a while until the last few hundred hours or so until the bulb finally goes out. A lot of the times when you see a really pink or blue bulb, it's most likely reached the end of it's life and is about to go out...that's not the correct definition of colorshift. That's the bulb about to go out and getting to a really whacky color. The end of life blue/purple-ness is lot more prominent in the older hid bulbs from earlier generation HID systems. New bulbs now use a different chemistry to stay at the colorshift longer without turning blue or purple.

Also, a HID bulb with more hours on it will also be dimmer compared to a new HID bulb. A bulb that has colorshifted is a bit dimmer than a brand new bulb. When changing bulbs, always do them in pairs to ensure that the colors match. It doesn't really cost that much anyway. You can usually pick up a new set of Phillips or Xenarc 4300k's off ebay for about $80 shipped or so.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 06-25-07 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-25-07 | 09:43 PM
Trippinond
Driver

I agree with Jeff...always much safer to just replace the pair otherwise you will never get them both to match. Save the one good bulb in case of the new ones burn out. Plus its tough to find single bulbs anyway...not many places sell them.

I have 8k in my headlights..and 10k in my yellow fogs which gives off a bright yellow color with a hint of greenish to it. Just depends what look your going for...but in my opinion you cant go wrong with 6000k.
Old 06-26-07 | 03:30 AM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
There are a few commonly misunderstood things about colorshifting. The correct definition is when a bulb has reached about 1000hours+ of burn time and the 4300k changes to around 4600-4800k or so. It should stay at that level for a while until the last few hundred hours or so until the bulb finally goes out. A lot of the times when you see a really pink or blue bulb, it's most likely reached the end of it's life and is about to go out...that's not the correct definition of colorshift. That's the bulb about to go out and getting to a really whacky color. The end of life blue/purple-ness is lot more prominent in the older hid bulbs from earlier generation HID systems. New bulbs now use a different chemistry to stay at the colorshift longer without turning blue or purple.

Also, a HID bulb with more hours on it will also be dimmer compared to a new HID bulb. A bulb that has colorshifted is a bit dimmer than a brand new bulb. When changing bulbs, always do them in pairs to ensure that the colors match. It doesn't really cost that much anyway. You can usually pick up a new set of Phillips or Xenarc 4300k's off ebay for about $80 shipped or so.
Thank you for being in agreement with me about a new bulb vs a old bulb and no offense to Kipod either. Im not the guru of Hid and I did not want to come off sounding like one ,but I think I was just giving some advice based on my experince with hid to try and help a fellow CL member about bulb color temp and it turned into a shouting match. We are all here to learn about our cars and various mods we should not discredit someone on their personal experience on products or mods, just share knowledge . So I have no problem saying to Kipod MY BAD lets help CL and not degrade it by pointless fighting
Old 06-26-07 | 06:26 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

But before you try to EINSTEIN me like Im a professional dumb **** read the link CAREFULLY and SLOWLY before you post it .Because if you look carefully Hidplanet stated that THE BULBS ARE BRIGHTER . So please elaborate or shall I do it for ya colorshifted bulbs lose their lumens over time and lumens equate to brightness right ? Osram bulbs when colorshifted look pinkish in about 4 to 5 years need any proof look at a Acura TL 1st gen and Im sure every one has seen a 2000 S-Class with one blue light and one semi- normal that is what you call color shift/ 85122+ would never match a colorshifted bulb because it has more lumens .But since Im a dumb *** according to you Im far from being a newbie to retrofits so I know changing one bulb would be like changing you front drivers side brake pad and I did not change the front passenger side but that is just me the dumb ***
I never said you were a dumb ***. I was never trying to start something, I just felt you left out some info and I wanted to help add to it. I was talking about color not intensity.

...I was just giving some advice based on my experince with hid to try and help a fellow CL member about bulb color temp and it turned into a shouting match. We are all here to learn about our cars and various mods we should not discredit someone on their personal experience on products or mods, just share knowledge . So I have no problem saying to Kipod MY BAD lets help CL and not degrade it by pointless fighting
I wasnt shouting eitherPEACE
Old 06-26-07 | 10:56 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Youre cool with me bro
Old 06-29-07 | 12:17 PM
drivenvip
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Replacemnt bulbs!

HID lighting is a sensitive subject for everybody!! I wish my club members would give me a shot at creating the color they would like....I promise no junk from ebay here!! I can do any color available in HID and warranty both my kits and replacement bulbs for 2 years....no questions!! I am running 8k now and love the reflective quality i get from that color, however 6k is in my opinion is the best. 6000k nearly reaches the peak output of lumens and still gives that custom look.Cool people=Quality product=Good service....right?
I am here to help guys, not get rich and close up shop!!
Driven

I never said you were a dumb ***. I was never trying to start something, I just felt you left out some info and I wanted to help add to it. I was talking about color not intensity.

I wasnt shouting eitherPEACE

Quick Reply: GS Lights (HIDs) question.