GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

'03 gs430 w/ML & Nav + VAISTECH SL2i...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 02:35 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '03 gs430 w/ML & Nav + VAISTECH SL2i...

anybody try one of these things out yet that has the same ML stereo/nav setup? how do you like it, is the interface decent and easy to use with the on-screen controls and have you experienced any type of engine noise or other issues? i just ordered one up i guess it'll be here tomorrow...
Old 06-28-07, 09:31 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

answered my own questions tonight after i did the install... to anyone ever interested in this product for their ipod (sl2i), it definitely gets my install was real straight forward.. it took longer to put everything back together in the dash and decide where i wanted to mount the unit then it did to hook everything up.. no engine noise that i've noticed as of yet and the touch screen controls/deck integration are 100%.. the added bonus of being able to set the unit to bypass the "i agree" screen on the ML/nav equipped stereo when you start the car is also a nice touch.
Old 06-29-07, 08:10 AM
SGMh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pics??? I have the same stock system setup but gs300...thanks
Old 06-29-07, 07:53 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pimpin009
any pics??? I have the same stock system setup but gs300...thanks

well there really isnt anything showing after the installation is complete besides the wire for the ipod in the glove box...
Old 06-29-07, 07:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it show names of songs on the navi? (text?)

that is something i've been wondering about for some time, as far as 3rd gen navi goes.

Any pics?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-07, 08:44 PM
SGMh
Rookie

^me too. I should have asked that. If it does not, do you guys know which generation has the cd text. thanks
Old 06-30-07, 10:38 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

that is something i've been wondering about for some time, as far as 3rd gen navi goes.

Any pics?

Thanks.

well ive got an '03 gs430 with the ML/nav and although i have text on screen for radio stations/songs...but i dont think theres anyway to do it for the ipod with my system... im using a new 80gb ipod with the newer version "sl2i".. not sure if there is a different way to hook it up where it would be showing the info (if someone else knows or finds out please tell me)... right now it is controlled through my headunit as "CD1" the system sees the sl2i as an additional disk changer.. the playlists come up on the screen as the number of CD's normally would that you have in your changer..i think you can have up to 99 playlists and it will still read everything properly. it does have limitations...like you NEED to have atleast 2 playlists for it to work, cant just have all the songs loaded on under artists, etc, with no playlists, for some reason it just needs atleast two for it to recognize the info and play it back properly. this is also mentioned in the FAQ on vaistech.com.

the tracks are controlled as usual from the radio touchscreen and buttons and from the steering wheel controls... if you go to vaistechs website i think on the first page they show the different types of ways info will be displayed based on your system... im sure some of the newer systems will show text/song titles from the ipod... i read something on their site about different ways to emulate it, CD1, MD changer mode, etc... just go to their site and read up. im sure youll find what you're looking for. the tech rep i talked to the day i bought it was pretty helpful too so just call up and ask if you cant find out what you need to know. www.vaistech.com

Last edited by upstateGS4; 06-30-07 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 10:39 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

just found this on their site:

SLI can be set up in CD changer emulation mode or MD changer emulation mode. We suggest to use MD changer mode ONLY if your Radio supports MiniDisc changer with MD-TEXT, otherwise MD CHANGER mode is useless. Playlist Title, Song Title, Artist Name and Album name information can be displayed on the Radio LCD or Navigation screen ONLY if Radio Receiver supports MD changer with MD-Text or CD changer with CD-Text.
Old 06-30-07, 10:54 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, thanks for the info. Please keep us updated if you get any engine noise.
Old 07-01-07, 03:12 PM
SGMh
Rookie

I did a little search and it looks like it should work in MD emulation mode. Check out the post three down. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...32&mode=linear
Please let us know it if works.
Old 07-01-07, 10:45 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

THANKS for the info bud... finally someone with a gen 3 navi gives us the scoop. thanks.
Old 07-02-07, 10:17 AM
krburell
Rookie

I did a little search and it looks like it should work in MD emulation mode. Check out the post three down. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...32&mode=linear
Please let us know it if works.
The vaistech unit does not support MD emulation for the 2nd Gen GS. Look at the application guide on their site and you will see that they say that text is not supported. I think the stereos in the UK are different from those in the US.
Old 07-02-07, 07:57 PM
SGMh
Rookie

The only way to know for sure its to try it. Upstate, would you mind trying it in MD Emulation mode and giving us the final word. Your results will probably determine if I get this unit. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-07, 08:09 PM
krburell
Rookie

The only way to know for sure its to try it. Upstate, would you mind trying it in MD Emulation mode and giving us the final word. Your results will probably determine if I get this unit. Thanks in advance.
I already tried it. It does not work!!!
Old 07-02-07, 08:27 PM
SGMh
Rookie

Thanks. You should have said that before. Thanks all I needed to know.

Quick Reply: '03 gs430 w/ML & Nav + VAISTECH SL2i...