GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What to look for when searching for a (wheel/suspension) alignment shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 05:01 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What to look for when searching for a (wheel/suspension) alignment shop?

I thought about posting this in the Susp Forum, but there's not enough traffic there....
----------------------------------------------

I'm contemplating new tires in the new year, and some suspension installs / upgrades, and need to start looking for a high end alignment shop.

More so that the dealership, since the story has been told that they normally don't have a clue, or the specs never stick. I've heard the dealership here in Raleigh mention "the alignment guy is here on Tuesdays...", so maybe they outsource it or something - I will inquire about that later.

1. What questions do I ask, and what are the answers I should listen for?
2. Special machines or eqiupment?
3. Liability issues?
4. Warranties?
5. What are the red flags?
6. What have been your experiences?

7. Can anyone make a recommendation for a shop in Raleigh or Charlotte?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-01, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Dex,

I'd recommend Griffin Brothers in Charlotte. They've got high end balancing equipment and have generallly done a good job on my car. I have had one issue which they fixed quickly and without question.

I believe one of the key pieces of equipment to look for is a Hunter Balancing Machine... Not sure who makes the high end alignment stuff.

Be wary of small shops without resources for equipment. When my GF had low profile tires put on her NSX at a local speed shop (Speedstyles), they basically had a guy jumping up and down on the wheel/tire to get it onto the rim.

On item 4, any time you can get a lifetime alignment, do it. I believe Firestone or Gemini (Goodyear) stores offer one. Not sure if they will do it if you have a modified suspension like ours.