GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4: changed tranny filter, forgot to put magnets back in pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 08:13 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS4: changed tranny filter, forgot to put magnets back in pan

So I changed the tranny pan "gasket" (which is just some FIPG goo) and filter while I was there, because my tranny pan had a slight seapage at the rear. I took the magnets out to clean them and the pan, and reinstalled the pan without putting the magnets back in. I didn't notice for a good hour later, unfortunately.

Is this a huge problem? I am considering putting a couple of strong magnets on the outside of the pan at the bottom. I don't want to take it off again just to put these back in. I considered cutting them in half, and shoving them up through the drain hole into the pan, but decided against it.

Any suggestions? If I still have this car a year from now, I will likely be getting the VB upgrade anyway. It will see no more than 30k miles by then.
Old 07-04-07, 08:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290899

I was posting responses to something similar in the LS400 forum.

The last poster there refers to a caulk, perhaps the goo you are referring to. I didn't see that on my RX nor do I see it on a lot of other vehicles my uncle and I work on, but I don't doubt it exists on certain vehicles.

I am going to show a different picture of the pan magnets below comapred to the one I showed in the other thread.
Attached Thumbnails GS4: changed tranny filter, forgot to put magnets back in pan-img_0673.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 08:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

One more with clean magnets. I think it may be possible to shove a magnet in there.

Additional comment: I have seen so many different placements in tranny pans in different vehicles, including the number of magnets.

The previous accumulation was 15K in the last photo to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails GS4: changed tranny filter, forgot to put magnets back in pan-img_0676.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 02:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I could never understand why a "luxury car" such as the 2nd gen GS does not have a pan gasket
Old 07-04-07, 03:31 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you telling me the magnets go in a specific place in the pan, on top of it? I thought I recalled mine being haphazardly arranged in there when I pulled them out. There were 3 in my pan.

The GS has no gasket, but the edges of the pan are beveled in on both sides of the surface that seals, effectively creating a full gasket when you put it back on and the FIPG squishes into those spaces.

I DID overtighten on bolt on the pan and snapped it, luckily I had purchased one extra bolt since the factory manual lists it as a torque-down bolt that has to be replaced. Turns out it was the same as the other bolts. Had I known, I would have replaced them all.
Old 07-04-07, 05:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rwheelz
are you telling me the magnets go in a specific place in the pan, on top of it? I thought I recalled mine being haphazardly arranged in there when I pulled them out. There were 3 in my pan.

The GS has no gasket, but the edges of the pan are beveled in on both sides of the surface that seals, effectively creating a full gasket when you put it back on and the FIPG squishes into those spaces.

I DID overtighten on bolt on the pan and snapped it, luckily I had purchased one extra bolt since the factory manual lists it as a torque-down bolt that has to be replaced. Turns out it was the same as the other bolts. Had I known, I would have replaced them all.
In mine, the manual shows they go in a certain place, but I have seen them placed all over the place in different vehicles.