GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD Sways -- The good? the bad? the ugly??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-01, 07:27 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD Sways -- The good? the bad? the ugly??

I've got L-Tuned springs and shocks on my GS 430 and love what they've done to the handling without sacrificing much in ride quality.

Now, I'd like to reduce the body roll some more and I'm considering TRD sways and perhaps a front STB now that TOMS has one that will fit over the 430's engine cover.

But, I'm concerned that the sways (and STB) will reduce the ride comfort in exchange for the additional body roll resistance.

I've driven in Bitkahuna's car and although it rides great, it's somewhat stiff for my tastes as an everyday driver. But, in addition to the sways and STBs (front and rear) he also has staggered 18s and the lower chasis braces and I'm not sure what is contributing most to the ride harshness.

Any opinions, experiences, etc. with adding just the sways and front STB to the L-Tuned suspension would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by RealMarty; 12-21-01 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-21-01, 07:56 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RM,

I should have mine installed EDIT the 29th - I'll do a write up soon thereafter.

I've got: oem 17s, LTuned Susp and Steering, F&R UGO STBs

Last edited by ///MDex; 12-22-01 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-01, 08:19 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yeah! you do that Dex we love when you post your experiences and stories!
Old 12-21-01, 09:07 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

IMHO: The LCB helps overall but it's the sways that add the majority of that extra harshness. It won't be as bad with 17" wheels but you are still going to notice a degradation in ride.

I'm afraid there really isn't a way to remove the roll without giving up some of the cushiness. It all depends on what is important to you. I made the tradeoff and never regretted it.

Peter
Old 12-21-01, 09:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Marty, Bit and I had this discussion (via CL) a while back. It's da sway bars (upside down or not). I'm likely going to do the front STB even before I L-tune, just on the principal that the stiffer the chassis, the less my dashboard (for instance) will flex and (sooner or later) begin to squeak and rattle. But the STB will not make much difference in body roll, esp not compared to thicker TRD bars.
Old 12-21-01, 10:12 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered my sways from Steve...I can't wait to get them Christmas Eve!!...what a gift huh?!?!

Hey Mooretourque the sways aren't thicker at all..they use a stronger steel that doesn't flex or give as much as the stock ones.

I will also do a write up and hopefully some pictures of my mechanic installing them for me!!
Old 12-21-01, 11:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
Hey Mooretourque the sways aren't thicker at all..they use a stronger steel that doesn't flex or give as much as the stock ones.
They aren't thicker on external diameter, but they do use thicker steel so the INNER diameter is smaller.
Old 12-21-01, 11:53 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I have stock 17s, L-Tuned suspension setup, and TRD sways and lower chassis brace. I added everything in steps, so I definitely know what the deltas are between stock, L-Tuned, and L-Tuned + TRD. If you thought Bit's ride was too harsh for your tastes, stay with L-Tuned only. The sways are the largest contributor to the ride harshness (and firmness, in a good way). I debated taking mine back off for a few weeks after putting them on, but finally decided that pros-to-cons, I wanted them on. Still, for general driving I often think that perhaps L-Tuned suspension with stock sways would be better...
Old 12-22-01, 10:36 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm still on the fence on this. I'm looking forward to hearing more from those with new installs scheduled. Please post here when you've got more info. Really appreciate it.
Old 12-22-01, 01:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

RealMarty - your impressions about my sways were unfortunately when the front one was upside down of course . I think it's considerably more comfortable now I have it the right way up!

And while I don't think my staggered 18s make much difference, they and the exhaust are noisier than stock of course, and that can influence one's impressions too.
Old 12-22-01, 06:37 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Bit,

Maybe if we have time tommorow we can go for another ride now that the front sway is on right.

See you at 11. I'll bring my 3/8" socket set.
Old 12-22-01, 07:51 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

TRD sways really helps out a lot in handling, especially if you are a highway racer.... or you don't like to get stuck within the traffics. IT cuts the bodyroll. = )

the ugly/bad : the fitment, most of the installation done by bodyshops won't secure the brasket that's holding the sways. I know there are many ppl have this same problem. Make sureyou get the best installation there is, Drill holes, put on more screw, or whatever, make sure it is tight and nice so you do'nt have to go through what I've been through.
Old 12-23-01, 06:47 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I drove Bit's car today and it really felt good. It was stiffer than mine, but not excessive. Having the front sway installed correctly made a BIG difference in the handling and transmission of road irregularities.

But, I'm still up in the air on this. It was not as stiff as I remembered it, but I'm not sure it will feel good driving it every day. Not sure how much of the vibration I felt through the wheel was due to the 18s and how much was the sways. Gotta think about this one some more...not sure what I want to do.

P.S. Bit, thanks for everything today.
Old 12-23-01, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RealMarty
P.S. Bit, thanks for everything today.
It was great fun! Talk about a 'guy' get together... talked about and played with: home networking, home theater, and cars!
Old 12-26-01, 02:31 PM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

RealMarty,
Do you ever hear the creaking that some are complaining of in the suspension board who have the Ltuned?

thanks,
Zach

Quick Reply: TRD Sways -- The good? the bad? the ugly??