GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with programing the garage opener...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 12:25 PM
ODEEZZY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with programing the garage opener...

tried it with the original remote and didn't work so it must be the number code...i need help...thanks
Old 07-15-07, 01:51 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Place your opener 1-3 in away from the surface of the homelink. Press and hold the homelink button. Press and hold your remote opener every 2 seconds until the indicator lite changes from a slow to a rapid flash. Test the home link button. If that did not work you have to press the learning button on the base of the garage door housing. A small LED light should go on. You then have about 30 seconds to press the home link button in the car twice. It would help to have 2 people, one in the car,one at the garage door opener base. After a few tries it should work.
Old 07-15-07, 08:30 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your battery in the remote is low, it won't send a good signal to the homelink.
Old 07-15-07, 09:43 PM
ODEEZZY
Driver School Candidate

thanks fellas
Old 07-20-07, 06:29 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

I just tried this with no luck. Once it started blinking fast I just let go and tried to press to see if it works with no luck. I also tired pressing this button inside my garage door and this green led light starting blinking and I pressed my home link twice and nothing happened. The funny thing is now the button on the inside of my garage that is used to open from the inside doesnt open the door anymore, instead it turns on a light thats on the door motor hahaha. Any hints
Old 07-20-07, 08:16 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rtfm.

Press the two outter buttons. It'll erase all of the codes.
Hold any of the three buttons for about 20 seconds until it starts blinking slowly.
Then press the remote (the working one) and then you'll see the car's LED blink faster.
Old 07-20-07, 11:28 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taeng
I just tried this with no luck. Once it started blinking fast I just let go and tried to press to see if it works with no luck. I also tired pressing this button inside my garage door and this green led light starting blinking and I pressed my home link twice and nothing happened. The funny thing is now the button on the inside of my garage that is used to open from the inside doesnt open the door anymore, instead it turns on a light thats on the door motor hahaha. Any hints
What type of garage door opener do you have? When I did this to mine, a Craftsman, the LED light on the garage base stayed on, it did not flash. Mine is also a rolling code opener. You probably need to push the LED button on the opener base,then push the button on the opener in the garage while the LED is lit. Is there a wire connecting the opener in your garage to the motor of the opener? Normally you can program any of the 3 buttons on the garage door opener to open or turn on the light.
Old 07-21-07, 03:21 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

mikevanle- so i just hold one of the three buttons till it blinks and then press garage opener once and see the cars led blink faster? So after that I just let go of the button? Thanks
Old 07-21-07, 05:42 PM
Dr. VIP
Pole Position

Yea I had to use the learn button. I have a craftsmen. I just installed it today!

Last edited by Dr. VIP; 07-21-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 01:29 PM
bigmemory
Driver

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try to program mine tonite (again).
Old 12-16-07, 03:45 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

For future help here's the instructions from the Homlink website:

HomeLink Training Instructions
Process: Program for the first time
Vehicle: 2001 Lexus GS-430
HomeLink Location: Overhead

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indicates that this instruction is important to follow for reasons of personal safety, and that failure to follow the instruction could result in bodily injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HomeLink is intended to be used only with HomeLink compatible products that are programmed consistent with the applicable instructions on our website at www.homelink.com. Those instructions and product listings indicated by the symbol are particularly important for avoiding damage to the programmed device and other property associated with that device. Failure to comply with instructions or product listings can result in unwanted property damage. Johnson Controls is not responsible for property damage that results from failure to follow instructions or product listings indicated by the .

Here's the link: http://www.homelink.com/training/train.taf?do=3