GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-01 | 08:39 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default HID in the snow?

I was driving in the snow about an hour ago and my HIDs were reflecting a lot of light back at me. Watching the huge white snowflakes coming at me was almost hypnotizing. I could see more of the road when I turned off my lights. What do you guys do in this type of situation?

thanks,
nick
Old 12-21-01 | 11:12 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Use the amber fog lights...
Old 12-22-01 | 02:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

What do you guys do in this type of situation?
I just move my mouse and screensaver goes away... Hehehe...sorry, I live in LA and the only snow I get to see falling is on my "winter" screen saver...hey, I have a "fireplace" screensaver too but it doesn't really keep me warm...but if I just huddle around the heatsink on my Athlon, I break a sweat!

Sorry...geek humor...
Old 12-22-01 | 07:33 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

AMD runs hot as hell eh manaray?

i have tons of snow here i've never had that problem of HID reflecting snowflakes too much... i dunno what i would do are you HID aligned right? maybe try to see through the snow and not concentrate on it... sorry i can't help too much there
Old 12-22-01 | 09:21 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default dreaming

Makes you wish you had functional fog lights, amber light that you could turn on without turning on the low beams. Maybe the Germans do know something the Japanese haven't yet picked up on...
Old 12-22-01 | 01:42 PM
blan
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gsexploits
Use the amber fog lights...
Is this even possible without turingn on the headlights. Sometimes I wish for this feature, though.
Old 12-23-01 | 04:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Sasha - Running a XP @ 1533MHz, it tends to get pretty hot...but luckily, I have a kick-**** Swiftech MC462 heatsink on there with a 68CFM Delta fan (sounds like I'm working at NASA now with that fan noise!)...keeps it a decent 36 degrees Celsius at full load...better than 48 degrees that the stock AMD supplied unit was doing!

Hey Nick, if the HID's are too bright for you, I'm sure you can find some CL members that would be willing to do a even swap for some non-HID headlights... Just a thought...
Old 12-23-01 | 08:16 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

haha im runing a regular athalon at 1.4, haven't overclocked yet but i've got a wicked fan its two fans so it just keeps blowing air by like this:

2nd Fan 1st Fan
---\ ---- /
<- | <- |<- <- airflow
<- | <- |<-
OOOOOOO <- heatsink
________ <- athalon

cool huh? hahaha

i have a video card fan motherboard fan and chassis fan too
Old 12-23-01 | 10:43 AM
GS4IV
Driver School Candidate

This is common - when the snow is heavy either regular low beams or HID will make visibility poor.
I found that apart from using the fog lights not focusing forward but more to the side helps.
Worst is high beams when using these a white "wall" appears in front of the car because of the higher aimed beam - ideal would be a two position low beam (regular and lower aim for snow).
Old 12-23-01 | 11:41 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm, swap my HID back to halogens....
... ... ...
nope, i don't think i've fallen and hit my head

I noticed that my fogs were helping somewhat, but only for 5 feet or so to the sides of me. I won't drive anywhere next time it snows, probably pull over and hope i won't spin out when the snow stops. unless i'm in an empty parking lot, where it might be intentional

aargh, i've been waiting for my amd chip for a month now, it was supposed to be delivered to a friends house and now he's in australia. It kinda sucks being stuck on a celery 500 with an amd mobo, faster memory, geforce 3 and a silver clad copper heatsink staring at me.
Old 12-24-01 | 02:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

hellasboy - Hehehehe...ok, just checking!

Check out the sick heatsink...this thing weighs a TON...I could seriously kill someone with this thing...

And top that off with a thick-azz 80mm fan...it's sick...but it's considered the best of the best...

Sasha - Hehehe...Athlon 1.4GHz...unlocked from the factory. Can't beat that! I had one also (but I sold it to my buddy) and I had it up to 1.6GHz but it ran too hot using the stock HSF...got a Thermalright SK6 and lapped it and now it's all good...I sold it cuz I got a good deal on the XP processor and mobo (Soyo Dragon Plus...also one of the best mobos out right now)...I'm also running 3 case fans in an Aluminum case...can you tell I do up my computers like I do up my cars?

Hmm...that was just a tad bit off topic, no?