GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

black 2gs owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 01:33 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SupermanGS
My car is dirty all the time. I live in seattle and YA weve had sun for about a week for the summer so far.. but its usually muggy here so I dont know if the California duster will work so well? What is one anyways? Where can I get one and how much? I really need to dust my baby more often. Also what is that quick wash and MF? ure talkin about?
Well, you can get a California Duster at any local auto store for like 10-12 bucks. It looks like a hand-held mop with wax on it. You DO NOT want to use it on a moist or dirty surfaces. Its not for cleaning, just for dusting off dirty on an otherwise clean car surface. Just a light, once over, without applying any pressure will suffice. As for quick wash and mf, I think your talking about quick detailer, which is a quick cleaner with a bit of wax and polish to give it a "professionally wax" look that can be accomplished quickly. The MF is short for micro fiber towel. It wont scratch your paint and cleans well.

Visit the detailing forum.....
Old 07-17-07, 01:43 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use my car on weekends, so thursdays or fridays is when it gets washed (only once a week). Put it away on saturday night, back in business on thurs/fri.
Old 07-17-07, 07:54 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've narrowed my search to just two colors that I would want one of them being black. So dirt and scratches are more noticable with a black car hey? I'm not happy about that but gotta admit that a black GS looks good.
Old 07-17-07, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carbongs
my car is clean each and every time it is in public. i clean vigorously almost before everytime i drive. i am also sponsored by meguiar's so it makes it less costly. wheels are def cleaned everytime it goes out, the whole wheel including the back lip. that brake dust can kill your wheels if left on for too long. wash, dry, claybar, wash, wax, detail spray, etc...
Guys, you have no idea how clean Tony's car is. Its funny seeing two black cars parked next to one another and his looks 10 shades blacker
Old 07-17-07, 08:40 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, you have no idea how clean Tony's car is. Its funny seeing two black cars parked next to one another and his looks 10 shades blacker
you need to get a photo moment of that.lol
Old 07-17-07, 08:43 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Ok, the water spots are there cuz you didn't dry off your car well enough, or you weren't quick enough to dry your whole car off in time before the water spots dried. Try to either wash your car in the morning or in the mid to late afternoon. Washing and drying your car at noon is a losing battle, and you will get streaks and water spots since the sun it too hot. Also, after you finish washing, unlock all your doors, truck, hood, gas cap, side mirrors, and give them a good shake to get that water buildup out so it does slowing drip and dry all over your freshly washed black paint.

As for washing, I religiously wash every friday afternoon after work, so the Lex Bubble is shiny for the weekend baby! Moreover, I also dont have a garage spot. I California Dust EVERYDAY after work, its best around the evening time, dusk is not good cuz condensation plus Cali Duster plus black paint equals nasty streaks everywhere. Besides that, I just use QuikDetailer and MF towel to wipe bird droppings off, which will DDDESTROY black paint in the sun.

High maintenance, but well worth the effort.

thanks for that tip , i will get a california duster tomorrow and start washing in early morning, don't you hate when you finish washing and waxing your car it rains.
Old 07-17-07, 10:41 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Well, you can get a California Duster at any local auto store for like 10-12 bucks. It looks like a hand-held mop with wax on it. You DO NOT want to use it on a moist or dirty surfaces. Its not for cleaning, just for dusting off dirty on an otherwise clean car surface. Just a light, once over, without applying any pressure will suffice. As for quick wash and mf, I think your talking about quick detailer, which is a quick cleaner with a bit of wax and polish to give it a "professionally wax" look that can be accomplished quickly. The MF is short for micro fiber towel. It wont scratch your paint and cleans well.

Visit the detailing forum.....
I keep mine in the garage, so that helps. As PushinLex said, the Calif Duster works wonders, but only on a dry surface, gets the dust off (hence the name). But if there is or was moisture on the paint, don't use the Duster as it will smear it. Then it will need to be washed or if just a few spots then I use a detailer spray. But during the rainy season it kinda stays dirty a little too long.
Old 07-18-07, 06:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Black is the hardest color to keep clean. It is like a chalk board. My car lives in the garage or if I park it in the drive way, I slap on the the Noah California Car Cover immediately. You will need the duster, quick detailer, and microfiber towels in your trunk for sure.
Old 07-18-07, 07:36 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car might as well be black and I have the same issue. a day or two after it's washed, it has a visible dust film all over it. I'm afraid a california duster would cause fine scratches.

has anyone else noticed how after washing car and driving just once that dirt/dust accumulates on the rear bumper/trunk area? it's like the aerodynamics somehow just drop everything right there....
Old 07-18-07, 10:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, after washing use the California Water Blade. It cuts drying time in half. It's great for taking "sheets" of water off on large body panels like the hood, windeshield, roof etc. without scratching the paint. Then use a good shammy (I know that's not how your spell it...lol) and dry up the rest. I usually drive the car around the block and then dry the run-off one more time.
Old 07-18-07, 10:40 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes the california water blade is awesome. i then come back with the meguiar's water magnet to get the rest of the water, and then the meguiar's drying chamois. i think that is how you spell it.
Old 07-18-07, 11:04 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Also, after washing use the California Water Blade. It cuts drying time in half. It's great for taking "sheets" of water off on large body panels like the hood, windeshield, roof etc. without scratching the paint. Then use a good shammy (I know that's not how your spell it...lol) and dry up the rest. I usually drive the car around the block and then dry the run-off one more time.
I dont trust those water sheathing blades. Just get an Absorber and call it a day...
Old 07-18-07, 11:19 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have used both and you just have to be careful that the blade is clean before use. dirt accumulates at the bottom edge which has direct contact with the car's surface. just a simple wet and towel dry gets it ready for reuse. it is much faster IMO than the absorber.
Old 07-18-07, 12:28 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Originally Posted by GSoup
I usually wash it about once a week.

I keep it clean by using the california duster plus I have the Lexus car cover for it. The cover does wonders on keeping it clean when your not driving it. In between washes, I use Meguiers Quik detailer.

If your getting spots like that, it most likely means its drying before you rinse it down.
copy that ... at least once a week
Old 07-18-07, 12:32 PM
njwong
Rookie

i wash mine once or twice a week depending on weather. California Duster like 3-4 times a day because i have a lot of woods around me. THe interior once a week.

Quick Reply: black 2gs owners