GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Super Unleaded - not necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 06:56 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The manual for my 06 GS430 recommeds premium (91), buts says 87 is ok if 91 is not available. I have been running 89 for two years, never heard a single ping or knock.
Old 07-22-07, 06:57 PM
LexFather

When I go to the drags, I run 116 octane!!! Like $7 a gallon...car runs like a damn charm though!!

I use premium, I use additives, the engine is the car's HEART, only healthy foods for my baby (as I eat this double whopper with bacon, lol)
Old 07-22-07, 07:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liazon
great discussion...thanks for the comments. the two competing views that i've heard (from reliable sources) were expressed in this thread.

like most gs400 owners, i want maximum performance so the extra few dollars a tank is worth it, whether it factually helps or not, i play it safe...if i had an es300 it might be different.

just thought it interesting.
see ya at the pump.
if i have an ES300, i would especially get what is recommended as often the higher grade of brand name gas have better anti-sludge detergent (ie V-Power from Shell and especially Techron from Chevron) due to the nature of the ES300's engine
Old 07-22-07, 07:52 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

I always use regular fuel. All is in our mind...
Old 07-22-07, 08:03 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
so if you look hard enough you can probably find it cheaper than 20 cents above reg.
If you go this route, you're wasting more money on gas to try to find the best price for gas. You may be going an extra 10-15 miles just to save a couple of cents off a gallon of gas. In a way, I kind of do the same but only sometimes. Like when I know that I'm going to Jersey on a certain day, I hold off on filling up as long as possible. Just hoping that I dont run out of gas in the middle of the Holland Tunnel. haaha
Old 07-23-07, 07:45 AM
Tranman

At the moment...I use premium for everyday driving and then mid grade for road trips, since I'm primarily just sitting at one RPM range on the highway.
Old 07-23-07, 07:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

In my driving, the loss of performance and mileage when factored to what premium brings is a $$ wash. Our LS doesn't have the "go" when using regular. If you enjoy driving your car...using regular is like crippling it. Of course, YMMV.
Old 07-23-07, 09:06 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20 GALLONS X .20= $4.00 SAVINGS....

I'd rather spend the $4 on the gas recommended on my car (esp since I'm supercharged now) than NOT spend it and risk a huge bill to repair it
Old 07-23-07, 09:33 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could calculate it you actuall end up spending more on low grade beacuse you don't go as far on a gallon as you do on higher fuels. Least it's been my experiance.
Old 07-23-07, 10:23 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

I use the fuel recommended by the manufacturer. The engine is designed for premium fuel. The knock sensors will retard the timing so the engine isn't damaged by spark knock or detonation. Performance and fuel economy will suffer. If you can't stand to pay the additional .20 cents for premium fuel maybe you should be driving a different car. I hear Hundai's run on regular fuel or maybe you can find a good deal on a Daewoo.
Old 07-23-07, 10:45 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I dread the day Sunoco stopped having Ultra 94.
Old 07-23-07, 11:06 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikevanle
I dread the day Sunoco stopped having Ultra 94.
We never had Sunoco here. I do remember something that stuck with me; I was filling up one of my performance cars, I think it was the 427 Fairlane at the Chevron Custom Supreme pump. There was a guy wearing a Chevron uniform waiting for me to finish. I asked him what he was doing, he said he that Chevron had discontinued the Custom Supreme grade gas and he was going to take the pump out. He said the pump I was using was the last one in town, and I was buying the last tank full. Next time I looked, where the 104 octane Custom Supreme pump once stood, there was a Unleaded Pump instead. Sad day indeed.
Old 07-23-07, 01:06 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i want to hear from others who have triend regular instead of premium in their v8 gs's. i tried 89 regular once because at the time gas prices were just brutal, and the loss in power was very noticable... almost like driving a gs300 (sorry gs300 folks that wasn't meant to be an insult ).
Well I filled up with regular and boy oh boy was my girl mad. The first time I didn't notice much loss since I only had her for 2 weeks. The second time around was a whole different story though. Being used to how my girl runs I noticed a HUGE loss of power. I thought something was wrong with my car. I took it to my buddy who used to be a Lexus mech. After he asked me about what type of gas I put in her it all started to make sense. NEVER will I put regular in here again.

I've read this and that about how the all gas is the same but after experiancing it all myself...Ill stick to premium.
It's my money right?
Old 07-23-07, 03:38 PM
darchard
Driver

Premium fuel for my GS. I really don't pay any attention to the brand. From what I understand, it is all the same gas with a different lable.
Old 07-23-07, 07:05 PM
sjpobox
Driver

I use high grade, when I used the low grade gas my mileage went down. so i stick with the highest grade possible. I have a 99 gs 300 115,000 miles

Quick Reply: Super Unleaded - not necessary?