GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

BRAKE light problem - GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 01:42 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BRAKE light problem - GS

Since the winter cold front has moved in, everyday when I leave in my GS, the red BRAKE (parking brake) light comes on in the dash when I press the actual brakes for the car. When I accelerate, it goes away, and then the process repeates itself. I notice throughout the day as the car warms up a bit it doesn't do it as much. Has anyone experienced this? Is it just the cold or is there a problem with my brakes? I have noticed the past week a light sqeeking sound coming from the left front wheel when rolling slow??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-01, 04:47 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your Parking Brake (Rears I think) aren't coming quite detached; like they are being frozen on when you apply the parking brake begore exiting the vehicle. I'd say engage / disengage the parking several times consecutively to give it a good working.

Don't know for sure, but brakes is something I would take to the dealer immediately.

GL and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-01, 05:53 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the fix, i think...

Hey,

Check this out, I had the same problem on my Tacoma, all you have to do is add some brake fluid and the problem should go away. My brake fluid tank was showing half full so I didn't think it was a problem, but I had just replaced the brakes about 3 months prior (I wasn't gonna re-do the brakes). So I just added some fluid and BAMM! problem fixed.

Hope that works for you.

allen
Old 12-23-01, 06:10 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: the fix, i think...

Originally posted by fasthuh
Hey,

Check this out, I had the same problem on my Tacoma, all you have to do is add some brake fluid and the problem should go away. My brake fluid tank was showing half full so I didn't think it was a problem, but I had just replaced the brakes about 3 months prior (I wasn't gonna re-do the brakes). So I just added some fluid and BAMM! problem fixed.

Hope that works for you.

allen
No offense guy, but I wouldn't just go adding fluids in a trial & error type mentality. You can't just take some out if you mess up.

Brake fluid is like the other critical fluids where they don't follow the theory of 'a little is good, so a little more must be better' - they have a range they are to be maintained within.

Also notice that it may be temperature or weather realted....

Just my .02

Last edited by ///MDex; 12-23-01 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-23-01, 06:49 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Dexter,

Point well taken, but from reading his post, I had exactly the same symptoms (Brake lights coming on and off from acceleration). I also thought that the emergency brake line need adjustment, but that checked out fine for me. I was just giving him my personal suggestion.

About the slight squeeky noise, possibly the brake sensor, I think that part would require brake replacement, but I can't say cause I can not see the pads, you can try cleaning it off with a brake cleaner.

good luck
allen
Old 12-23-01, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Couple of long shots...

Maybe related, but we should all USE the park brake from time to time, but I expect most of us never do. I engage mine once in a while because I understand it helps calibrate it and make sure it doesn't get stuck. So 400 - you might try just engaging and unengaging the park brake a few times.

Also, I've noticed that even the slightest 'knock' of the park brake pedal on my car will make the park brake light come on when I start the car. I've often had to pull the brake release even though there's no resistance when I do so indicating the brake wasn't really engaged at all. Perhaps doing the above might help this too...
Old 12-23-01, 07:23 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That red brake light is indicating your brake fluid is running low. A reason for why it's low is because your brake pads are wearing thin (which would explain the squeaking sound you hear).

I had the same thing happen with my SC (but brakes weren't squeaking) and I put in a little brake fuid and the light went away. It looks like your due for new brake pads.
Old 12-24-01, 11:48 AM
JZS147
Driver

Originally posted by hellasboy
That red brake light is indicating your brake fluid is running low. A reason for why it's low is because your brake pads are wearing thin (which would explain the squeaking sound you hear).
you can also read the owner's manual and it will say "add more brake fluid."